November 2014 Moms
Options

(Rant) Calling the doctors office feels like a waste of time

I call today because I've been SUPER EXHAUSTED, THIRSTYYYY beyond belief, keep feeling like I'm going to pass out, and have terrible headaches for past three days. Plus I had contractions last week because the doctor said I was dehydrated but I'm NOT. I've had over three liters of water today not including juice and it feels like I've had nothing.

The OB nurse asks me questions like I'm a freaking moron.

"Are you eating 6 small meals a day?"
"How many bottles of water are you drinking?"
"Are you doing anything differently that would cause these symptoms?"

Ummmmm...wouldn't I have thought about those things before I called!!!!! I'm constantly eating and drinking lady!!!! I'm pregnant!!!!!!!

Barely made it through work today, didn't do beans this weekend because I was so tired.

Ok, rant over.

Re: (Rant) Calling the doctors office feels like a waste of time

• Options
    @jk382 nope! I'm 23 weeks. They said there's been nothing in my urine and when they last checked my glucose (@like six weeks pregnant) it was OK. I'm like unmmmmmm wasn't that a long time ago????
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @bethas they told me to monitor my water intake, rest, and call if I feel the same in the morning. I feel pretty miserable. :((
  • Options
    I really want to call and ask "how sick do I have to be for you to give a s**t?"
  • Options
    @cheath02‌ I'm in california

@bethas I'm feeling that way too. I'm going to try to eat less sugar and see if I feel better.
  • Options
    I understand your quibbles abt lack of concern. It surprises me what little goes on at the 4 week appointments. Each appt I'm meeting one of the 7 doctors and while some are very good at answering my questions (and actually using physical touch to measure baby or check an ache or pain) with medical back-up and reasons, other doctors are like, "hmm...we can't always pinpoint what causes that but it's probably normal." No human contact and then the doctor heads onto the next patient. Nurse calls feel equally uneventful.

Don't get me wrong, I am so grateful that I've been walking out of these appts seemingly healthy and normal, but the visits make me feel like things can easily get missed. I don't think it's due to lack of care but the quantity of patients doctors are expected to see in one day.

I'm sorry to hear abt the possible dehydration issue. I couldn't tell you what might be the problem.
  • Options
    It's never fun to feel like your comments are dismissed and that you haven't been listened too. The color of your urine may be a better indicator of your hydratipn level than howmch you are drinking. Is it dark, almost clear, somewhere in between?
  • Options
    I am not a medical professional but I have heard that sometimes drinking too much water can also cause dehydration.  Maybe try having a powerade or something to help get your electrolytes back up?  

I agree with this. I have no medical background, but I have done a lot of distance running. The body needs electrolytes and salt to process the water. I tend to eat a rather low sodium diet and run into some problems when training for a half marathon.  How is your salt intake?  If you really think is could be dehydration, eat some pretzels and drink a Gatorade.

It could also be GD. I would think that they would do the test early if you started showing symptoms...

• Options
    edited July 2014
    High blood sugar levels can cause extreme thirst.

Before I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, I remember I just could not drink enough.  Water, soda, tea, you name it.  I was parched.  All the time.  It was nuts.

Hope your doctor listens.  I think maybe try to change it up and have something with electrolytes and see if that helps. 

ETA: words.

• Options
    I hate getting that generic bullshit talk, so I start my phone calls with my symptoms, how much water I have been drinking, and that I have been eating small meals frequently before they can give me their script.

It's like talking to a comcast rep at first so you gotta lay it all out up front.

I'm also not seeing anything about iron, did you review that with the doctor at all yet?
    BABY GIRL, 11-11-14 

• Options
    I'm going to second the iron comment.  That's where I struggle and I can definitely tell when I haven't had enough.

I also second the electrolyte thing.

Get yourself a steak or cheeseburger and some gatorade.  Do that for a couple days.  If your urine is clear or light yellow, you've eaten iron, and tried electrolytes, it may be time for a convo with a doctor and not a nurse.  Some nurses are great (I've had many who are), but some are really poorly trained and ill-informed (like the one who told my friend to NEVER eat chocolate chip pancakes during pregnancy or she'd definitely get GD).
    Baby girl N born 10/29/14!

**Follow your heart, but take your brain with you**

• Options
    Time to change doctors....

I call back this morning, still thirsty, still tired. After being on hold for 20 minutes they send me to urgent care to see if I'm dehydrated!?!?!?!?

How can I be dehydrated if I drank AT LEAST FIVE liters of water yesterday, just told you my pee is clear, and have had at least a liter of water this morning. WTFFFFFFF
  • Options
    @Mightymo85 That's ridiculous, like they really don't have an extra 30 minutes for you to be seen at the office. Please let us know what urgent care says.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm not going to urgent care. They don't do shit there. Last time I was having severe dizziness they just said "oh you're pregnant you should see your on/gyn" and I was like "oh really? I know that and they sent me to you." Makes no sense. I'm just going to keep functioning as well as I can until it gets worse. Hopefully my baby is just in a growth spurt, or something.
  • Options
    I agree with the iron suggestions. I found out I am anemic and I had very similar symptoms.
  • Options
    I'm so pissed I'm not calling anybody or going anywhere until it gets worse.
  • Options
    I'm drinking water and pedialyte. Not as thirsty but the fatigue is kicking my ass. "Ma'am that's a normal symptom of pregnancy" ok so then why is everyone telling me to call my dr because I should have energy in my 2nd trimester? How am I supposed to function? Guess I'll just keep pushing myself til it goes away or I drop dead. Thanks.
  • Options
    I agree with some of the PPs who suggested it may be gestational diabetes. High blood sugar can cause extreme thirst, headaches, dizziness, and fatigue. I hope you can find a doctor who will listen to you. :(
    DH & Me 33 ~ Married 2013 ~ DD 2014 ~ EDD 8/24/19
  • Options
    Can you just go to the ER?

I'm sorry you're feeling crappy. I would just ask for my actual Dr to call me.

Not going to urgent care can result in going against medical advice.

• Options
    I asked for an appointment to see my OB and they said go to urgent care or wait until your August 8th appointment. So obviously they don't think it's a big enough deal for me to go to urgent care if they say in the same sentence to go on august 8th.

The last time they sent me to urgent care for something, urgent care said "why did you come here, you should have called your ob/gyn" so why the hell would I do that again?

Btw I drank pedialyte like my chiropractor suggested and feel much better. I guess "knowing your body" isn't wrong all the time. I'm functioning, little dude is moving, no need to go to the hospital.
  • Options
    I don't feel that bad anymore to go to the ER or urgent care. If I do, of course id go and yes I'm looking into finding a new OB
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"