June 2013 Moms
Options

Car seat replacement after accident??

I was rear ended today in the grocery store parking lot. I pulled into a spot and some guy pulled in behind me as I was getting out of my car and hit me. There was a good amount of damage done to the front end of his car and some minor to my back bumper but it was a pretty strong impact as the guy claims his car automatically accelerated as he hit the brake. Thankfully the kids weren't with me as things could have been pretty bad had I been getting them out as he hit my car.

At any rate should I replace the car seats?? Has anybody ever been rear ended like this and replace them?? The car seats we have are britax pavilions (2 of them) and they are $300+. That's a huge expense!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Car seat replacement after accident??

• Options
    I tried looking but I didn't find any posts. My mobile bump is messed up.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Will his insurance or yours cover it? I think this happened to someone else on the board.

That's what I was going to ask. For some reason I think that seats can be replaced by insurance.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    The manual said that there is no need to replace them if you are in a minor crash. I'm assuming this is considered minor since the airbags didn't deploy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Our airbags didn't deploy but our car was still totaled. I was call the car seat manufacturer and tell them what happened and they'll be able to tell you if you should replace them our not. Replacing a car seat is no fun.
    image imageimageimage
  • Options
    Sounds like you don't need to replace. Here is the definition of a minor accident. https://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/childps/childrestraints/reuse/restraintreuse.htm You are lucky, some seats say replavpce aft any accident.

• Options
    Thanks all! I'm just really thankful I didn't have the boys. The force that he hit my car actually pushed my big SUV forward quite a bit. Had I been unloading them they could have gotten injured. I'm now really paranoid about parking lots. I'll be parking away from all cars in the future.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
  • Options
    Nix55Nix55 member
    I'm not an expert, but I personally wouldn't replace them. It sounds like the accident was very minor...and that you have an SUV which can withstand more impact than a smaller vehicle.
  • Options
    ASmallWonderASmallWonder member
    edited July 2014
    Nix55 said:
    I'm not an expert, but I personally wouldn't replace them. It sounds like the accident was very minor...and that you have an SUV which can withstand more impact than a smaller vehicle.
    Just know that only Britax and a few others would legally and safely allow her to keep using the seats.  The latch straps and belt path take a lot more force than any visual damage would show.  Kind of like bungee cords.  The person may not hit the ground but the force exerted is pretty extreme and limits how effective the seat can be if it happens again.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    Nix55Nix55 member
    Good to know @elmoali. I was hesitant to comment on the post since I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject other than what defines a minor crash. Thanks for the additional info.
  • Options
    @anw39‌ it's not all seats. Britax follows different guidelines. I'm 100% sure :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    Thanks everybody! I wasn't looking forward to spending close to $600 for replacements so I'm glad that I can still use them safely. Ds2's is a newer model and it has a feature on it where if a strap on the back is broken during a collision, it means it needs to be replaced.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ilovemarfa‌ that's a cool feature!
    image imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"