June 2013 Moms
Options

Integrated classrooms?

needanustartneedanustart member
edited July 2014 in June 2013 Moms
So this is probably a question for parenting or see kids board, but I thought maybe some teachers on here might have some insight on this.
Today I took G (3.5 years) to his first school friend birthday party. I knew the name but the kid was never there at drop off or pick up. G is in preschool at a daycare center that goes through 5 years (pre-k). When we get there, I realize kind of quickly the boy who was turning 4 was definitely behind G behavior wise. Long story short, I find out the birthday boy is autistic and also in another integrated pre-k program in the public school district.
There are lots of other ancillary details here but my question without being too long winded is should I have been told or given some type of heads up that there are special needs learners in G's class? Should the student teacher ratio be different if so? (This boy had to be taking up more teacher time, the mom was one on one with him the whole party). I want to be in the know about G's classroom but I also want to ask questions without being a jackass. Because I definitely feel there is value to an integrated classroom experience, I just don't have any experience or know what my expectations should be. If this were just daycare I wouldn't be questioning it but since we are moving to school age learning now I feel it's important to know.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Integrated classrooms?

• Options
    I was only using it to emphasize that that is what is sound like if I ask any questions about it. I know it's ignorant to use but I feel like if I ask any questions that is what I'll come across as- ignorant and snobby.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    In a public school there are privacy laws protecting this type of information, so I don't think the school should be telling parents about individual special needs students in the class. However, I'm not a teacher and I'm not sure what happens in practice.

Also team you don't need to use that word to get your point across.

• Options
    That is why I put "jackass" right before it, as in I would never say this. But in truth it seems that if that is all anyone can take away from this post there is no way I can ask about this at school without sounding like an asshole. It's not like I don't want an integrated classroom, I just want to know if it is in fact one and if there are more teachers in the room if it is.

• Options
    @Lizzybizzy80‌ I figured that was the case and that was why I presumed I didn't have to get into specifics, I was just wondering if the onus is on me as a parent to ask about these things or if I am to presume in this day and age that every classroom at any point in time could have special needs learners. Because my best friend's daughter has downs and from her perspective she always knows how many kids are in the class, what the needs are and what the ratio is because she is always advocating to get more aids in her classroom.

• Options
    Cricket81 said:

It is actually illegal in most (all?) states to share information about any students' learning abilities. It's all confidential information. You should trust that the boy's family and teachers are doing everything that needs to be done to make it a positive and safe learning environment for every student in the class.

Of course I believe the boy's family and teachers are doing all they can. I just want to make sure as a parent I am doing everything I can to make sure I understand his classroom and he gets the attention he needs. If it's the same ratio of teachers, I don't think he is.

• Options
    I would presume every classroom could have special needs students. The care and help each child needs is supposed to be determined through plans and meetings and tailored to the child. I don't work in special education law but I do work with FERPA and student privacy.

• Options
    I work with public schools but not pre-k or daycares so I'm not much help there.

• Options
    @huckleberry08‌ absolutely, which is why when I was researching public pre-k I was thinking of putting him in the integrated classroom, but I also would know that going into it. I want him to learn about all kinds of people and being friends with them. I think that is why the whole thing especially caught me off guard- when we got out of the car to go in, G said, "Matthew can be mean. He is loud and rough and knocks down my towers." I said, "well do you sometimes knock down towers?" To which he said, "no, I'm a nice guy. Not a mean kid." I understood of course half an hour later what he meant, but now I want I know how to address it. Surely I don't want him thinking he's a mean kid, but I also don't want to point out differences. Ugh I'm just stuck and blindsided.

• Options
    @huckleberry08‌ everyone seemed to know but me and all of the kids except one other girl were from his "integrated intensive" program at the public school. Once I asked the first parent how they knew Matthew's family and they said the school name a lightbulb went off for me and then I realized that was why the entertainer had asked about different sensory issues before she started (every parent but me had one for their child) and why all the 4-5 year olds were being super helicoptered by their parents. Plus every other parent was way too busy with their own kids to talk to me about how to talk to my kid!
    I was thinking about checking in with the teachers and wondered if I could ask them how they explain it?

• Options
    megandchasemegandchase member
    edited July 2014
    I've been a public school teacher for 5 years an have had students with special needs in my classroom every single year (wide range of ability/disability). It is illegal to give out any information on the needs of students in the class. The "inclusion" classroom isn't even stated publicly so there is no discrimination against the class. Depending on the needs of a student aids may be present in the classroom for certain parts if the day to add extra assistance. Honestly I wouldn't worry about the teacher ratio because I would trust the school and teachers are doing what is in the best interest of all students. As a teacher I will get a say for what class my LO will be in and I will most likely always choose an inclusion room because I want him to be exposed and sensitive to all learners. Asking the daycare the questions you have will probably be a waste of your time because they will not be allowed to discuss another student with you. This particular student may only be attending the other school for specific service minutes such as speech, PT or OT

ETA: I am special ed certified but teach gen ed because I love that students of all abilities are integrated into my classroom
  • Options
    There are great books out there about just differences in general and young kids are the most accepting human beings! I teach kinder and it always read a few books that discuss how differences make us special. I have a student that was a lot like the child you are describing and did not take my attention away from my students anymore than any kinder child having a rough day. I had many discussions with my class about the students behavior and that sometime he isn't aware of his behavior and we should all be a friend and help him learn.
  • Options
    @BC&LM‌ I never said I wanted specifics on any kid. This incident just brought to my attention that before I knew it G was in an integrated classroom. If you're saying I don't have the right to know that, so be it. It's just in our district the public system clearly outlines the different types of classrooms and the ratio of aids and teachers to students for pre-k, whereas our center doesn't even mention it in the handbook so I didn't think about it until today. Also my friend who has the daughter with downs is constantly checking the number of aids and kids in the classroom because she has been in a battle with the district to get her daughter in a classroom with more attention, so I know that there are parents who ask questions about that and want to be in the know. I feel like I am just trying to figure out the right things to know about the classroom dynamic just as much as any parent of a special needs learner.
    And I have no doubt all the ladies on this board are wonderful and thoughtful teachers that love all their kids and so everything they can for them. My question was not blaming anyone or even saying there was an actual problem, I just am new to this school age children thing.

• Options
    I'm not sure how your public prek is but in the 2 states I have taught in (TX &NC) the preschool in public school is actually prek for special needs students (this could just mean speech services) and they allow a certain number of gen ed students in the room as peer models (I taught in the preschool class my first year). That is why the ratios are more public. Also your friend with a special needs child can advocate and ask those questions because it is her child who is to be receiving the services. If you really are bothered by the situation just ask your dc what their special needs policies are.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the insight into this! Honestly hearing it is none of my business is a relief. When I left the party I has this horrible feeling that I was a crappy parent because I didn't know about it and that I was supposed to know more about his classroom. I'm a pretty laid back parent and don't ask a ton of questions usually so I'll continue on in that department. And thanks for mentioning how to talk with G about it @huckleberry08‌.

• Options
    @NurseMommy13‌ ummm, yea. I didn't know the answer to a question, hence I was ignorant in that area. You ask questions to learn.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"