3rd Trimester
Options

When to slow down at work

I work in a retail store which requires a lot of walking and standing for extended periods of time. Thus far, I have a note which allows me to rest behind my register whenever needed and my management team has been super supportive and helpful. I'm 30 weeks tomorrow and am beginning to wonder when my boss might be restricting my time at work. I would prefer to work as long as I can for financial reasons, but I understand that the doctor may have other plans for me. 

Was this a topic you brought up to your OB/GYN? or did they bring it up to you first?

Re: When to slow down at work

• Options
    I worked twelve hour days (sometimes a little longer) three days a week on my feet until less than a week before I had my son. There wasn't much slowdown for me. If you are having a normal, low risk pregnancy, don't expect to get a break.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hats off to you ladies, 10 hr and 12 hr days, I couldn't do it. I'm surrendering after next week when I'll have 2 weeks to go. I only work a seven hour day with maybe half the day on my feet and I'm struggling.
  • Options
    I work retail. With my last pregnancy I worked five 10 hour days a week on my feet most of the day (near the end I had more cashier shifts and was given a stool) all the way up to 36 weeks. With this pregnancy my job is only 8 hour days but up until 30 weeks I was working early stocking shifts running the truck days and restocking days. I got a doctor's note to stop lifting over 20lbs around 25 weeks and my bosses took me off of trucks at 30 weeks (their own choice, they need to train the person that will be working my job while I'm gone). I still walk most of my shift and still lift up to 20lbs and work a very varied schedule (shifts start at 12am, 5am, 10am, 1pm, or 7pm). I'm 34 weeks today and am planning on working up to 39 weeks, my health allowing.

It's all up to your comfort level with what you're doing in your job and how your health is. Drink plenty of water, rest when you need to, and be up front with your boss if you need a work restriction or leave.
  • Options
    yeah.yeah. member
    At 30 weeks? Yeah, no.

Look, I'm a teacher. I'm on my feet all damn day. I worked until my induction at 42 weeks with DD1. You can do it!
  • Options
    II'm working as a CNA at a different facility than I worked last time. Last one had lots of crazy lifting. on my feet constantly. My doctor pulled me of duty completely at 36 weeks because he decided I was working myself too hard. This time I'm at a different facility that just opened so we don't have much to do yet so it's unlikely I won't be able to work until my due date
  • Options
    This is my last week work (35 weeks) so I'll be home as of 36 weeks.  I have an office job but I still find it very tiring.  Luckily I get a long maternity leave in Canada though so I don't feel as pressured to work up until my due date. 

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    How I feel like a light weight compared to some of you gals! I guess I don't have the same amount of stamina. I wasn't planning on slowing down much more but I wasn't sure if there was a time when a doctor made the decision for you. I have been feeling fine and resting when I need to so I guess I should be fine unless my conditioner changes a lot. Thanks for the advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"