Working Moms
Options

s/o: How would you approach your boss about reducing hours from 40 to 32?

Something in your argument has to be about how this benefits the company.  Because they likely won't agree to a business proposal that is all about benefitting the employee, right?  So how would you frame your argument?  Pitch your idea?

I'm seriously considering this.  Need help!

Re: s/o: How would you approach your boss about reducing hours from 40 to 32?

• Options
    That is a hard one. My company is really focused on affordability so you could present the cost savings of not paying you for 40 hours. Now if you are in a job where on average you work over 40 I don't see how a reduction would fly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Same responsibilities, less pay? That is the only thing I think would fly if I proposed it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

One issue around here, at least now, is that if you're working 32 hours, they are giving you health insurance. Even if this didn't matter in the past, this matters to them a lot now b/c they are thinking about it a lot now. It would be easier to go down to 24 or 25 hours than to get to go down to 32 hours, b/c then you'd be loosing health insurance.

We would only do it if we really needed to keep you b/c you have some specialized knowledge (including institutional knowledge), specialized skill or were just super great at something and so it'd be hard to replace you and we knew we'd loose you if you didn't get your preferred schedule.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• Options

I should have explained that my organization is open to the idea. They have an established policy, and the precedent has long been set. Many people exercise this option (I don't know what %; low but it isn't unheard of). Now my manager, on the other hand is inexperienced and an all around moron (that is for another post) so I would have to bring an airtight case and possibly float the idea past his manager.  I would have to explain things to him in a very clear and simple way. :)

But first I need that airtight case.

• Options
    I went from 40 to 24. I lost my benefits, so essentially I am working 40% less for 50% less total compensation.

My experience is specific to my organization, which is in the public sector and has been going through major budget issues since the recession. I emphasized that they would save money, but also basically said I was unhappy enough working FT that if I couldn't go PT, I'd leave. We'd just had a slew of long-tenured employees retire and most of the management staff was new, so I emphasized that I'd be taking a lot of institutional knowledge with me when we'd just lost so much. We were also in a semi-hiring freeze, so my boss knew that if I quit, he wouldn't be allowed to fill my position.

I'm not sure if any of that is helpful to your situation, but I thought I'd throw that out there. Best of luck to you.
    baby girl  5.12
  • Options

When I dropped down to part time, I was coming back from maternity leave and they were glad that I wasn't quitting. One thing that helped me sell it is that I agreed up front that if something came up on my 'off' day I would still cover it. Not sure if  you are exempt, or what your job is like though.

On most of my Fridays off I still monitor emails and keep an eye on things, but it isn't a big deal for me. I do have my kids home with me that day and my boss knows that if I need to be in a meeting, I need advance notice. I do often wind up doing a few things during the kids nap. This has kept everyone very happy with me as employee, and I have had multiple people tell me they didn't realize I was part time.

DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
  • Options
    Are you looking for an entire day off, or just fewer hours? 

I have thought about pitching this kind of move also, from 40hrs to 30hrs. I think at least at my place of employment it will go over much better if I said I would work 6hrs/day 5 days a week, versus wanting to take an entire day off each week.

• Options
    I am in the same boat and am going to be discussing this with my manager tomorrow. I am nervous because a) I am new and b) there is no real benefit to the company. I am asking to work a half day on Wednesdays strictly for childcare purposes as DH's new schedule is hectic and he basically works from 1 pm to 10 pm twice a week. That being said, I am going to highlight that there will always be office coverage for students; I work in career services and my counter-part works until 6 on Wednesday. I am also going to stress that I will always be available for meetings and events that arise on Wednesdays. I feel very confident that I would be able to do my job in 35 hours per week, so I am going to talk about that as well and highlight some of my accomplishments even though I have only been here for a few months. I would like to work 32 hours, but I don't know if I should push it because I am new. I am going to start here and see how it goes. Plus my job is such that there has to be some office time 5 days a week for students, so a work from home or 4/8's wouldn't cut it. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    jenn43jenn43 member
    Speaking from a boss/manager perspective, I don't think you necessarily have to make it a benefit for the company.  I would be fine having an employee cut hours, as long as he/she had a plan for how the work would get done.  Whether this was because you took work home, or spoke with one of your colleagues about increasing his/her hours... whatever the solution may be.  Having a plan before you talk to your manager makes it easier from them to say yes.
  • Options
    Having been both the manager receiving this request and the employee making this request I think the biggest issue is, where is the work going to go?  you need to explain how the work is going to get done and I just don't think it flies to say I will do the same amount of work in 10 less hours because you're basically saying you didn't have enough work before...it may be true but I wouldn't say it.  I also think it's better to submit something in writing, even if you have to modify it, and to always request something like a 3 month trial basis (in my experience it's never come up again after the three months but then it feels like less of a commitment on their part).  I do think you can sell that it will actually save them money, it pretty much always does.  But probably the most important factor is that they retain a good employee, you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"