Toddlers: 24 Months+

When did you start using children's toothpaste vs baby toothpaste?

I am curious to hear if anyone is using children's toothpaste (like the kind they aren't supposed to swallow).  We still use the baby toothpaste and basically brush his teeth without water.  He loves the taste of the toothpaste.  I think we should probably start teaching him to use water and spit out the toothpaste after brushing, but wanted to hear if/when others have done that.  Any tips?  Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: When did you start using children's toothpaste vs baby toothpaste?

• LSU628LSU628 member
    At DS's dental visit this month the dentist told us to start putting a smear of flouridated toothpaste on his brush. She said the pedi dental board has decided the small amount of fluoride isn't harmful and that they need the fluoride on their teeth. I have to admit I was surprised b/c I don't thin we started using "kid" toothpaste with DD till closer to 3.
    imageimage
  • Our dentist said a pea-sized dollop of fluoride toothpaste twice a day at age 2. DD surprisingly took to spitting like a champ. We were worried, but it turns out spitting is cool when you're 2. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • DS' pediatrician told us yesterday at the 2-year appointment to start using a rice-sized amount of fluoridated toothpaste and that adult toothpaste is fine.  Apparently pediatric dentists are seeing more cavities at an earlier age due to low fluoride application in children.  Pediatrician said it was ok if he swallowed some (hence the small amount) since really spitting is hard for a 2-year old. 
  • Never used baby or children's toothpaste at all. We've always used regular. We use so little of it that I don't worry about spitting it out. We brush with toothpaste, then brush with just a wet toothbrush and that dissipates it. Our pedi said it was totally fine.
  • The ADA revised their recommendations this year to use fluoride toothpaste on kids as soon as teeth appear. DD's dentist said to use an amount similar in size to a grain of rice.
  • DS' dentist said absolutely NO fluoridated toothpaste until he can rinse and spit well. Apparently it can negatively affect his adult teeth. So we will be using training toothpaste for some time yet!
    imageimage
  • I just told DD about a week ago that when her current tube of training toothpaste is gone, she can get big girl toothpaste.  Because she's gotten pretty good at spitting over the past couple of weeks.  She'll be three in September.  I always thought no fluoride toothpaste until they could spit well, so that's what I was going with.
  • We started a few months before DD turned 2.  She wanted to use DS's toothpaste, and I knew the recommendation had changed, so I figured it was good timing. Before that, she just brushed with water.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • We started using it when he was around 1.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• sghassemidmdsghassemidmd member
    edited August 2014
  • Thanks for posting this!  I hadn't thought about switching because DD loves the taste of the baby toothpaste.  Since she basically eats it, I figured we shouldn't switch for awhile.  I guess we better switch and teach her how to spit! 
  • Our dentist recommends age 3. He said it's okay if they swallow a little bit. Just make sure there is only a pea sized amount smeared on the brush.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • morning we brush with water

at night we brush with a very very small amount of toothpaste.

dentist and pediatrician said that's a-okay !
  • right around 2nd birthday, still haven't taught her to spit so we only give a tiny tiny amount to get her used to it (bubble guppies toothpaste is SO cool) haha
    + 6/1/11, due 2/12/12. natural m/c @ 8wks
    + 9/3/11, due May 2012. overdue baby born healthy!
    + 8/3/15, natural m/c @ 5wks
    + 1/4/16, due 9/14/16

Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"