Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Cruise? (X-Post from May '13)

I'm looking for some advice, or maybe it's actually validation...

My ILs want to take the entire family on a cruise right before Christmas, so LO would be 19 months old.  It's not a Disney cruise, just your average run of the mill Carnival cruise.  I have politely declined twice now, but MIL keeps pressing the issue.  I do not think this would be an enjoyable experience for DH and I at all, and I'm wondering, am I crazy in thinking that? 

I see it this way--DD still will be taking 1 daily nap, and will still have an early bedtime (between 7-8).  She won't be able to be in the room by herself, so one of us will need to be in there with her for naps and nighttime sleep.  There really aren't any age appropriate activities on a cruise ship for a 19 month old, so my luggage would be packed to the brim with toys/activities to entertain her.  Don't even get me started on the safety of having a small child who is barely walking on a cruise ship with tons of stairs, railings, etc. on which she could hurt herself.  I just think this is an all-around terrible idea, and I can't seem to get that through to my MIL.  What would you all do in my situation? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Cruise? (X-Post from May '13)

• Options
    I would make sure that kids are even allowed on the cruise.
    They are.  MIL was required to give the birthdates of all people in the party prior to officially booking, so the travel agent knows there are 3 children.
  • Options
    I usually lurk, but we took our DD at 9 months on a cruise and decided we would not do anymore cruises until there are no naps and/or she can go to Camp Carnival at 2. 

When we went, she was taking 2 naps (although she would take one off ship in one of the ports usually) and even though we had a balcony, we felt so confined and like we couldn't do anything at all.  Same when she went to bed at 7:30.  We spent a ton of time reading and watching movies.  We vacation to do things we can't do at home, so while this may be a nice relaxing vacation for many, it was not what we wanted to spend money on.  

If we would have had a connecting balcony with family, it may have been easier because we would have been able to come and go more freely and not felt so confined.  

While there isn't a lot to do on the ship for an 18 month old, many of the crew genuinely loves babies because they leave theirs at home for months at a time, and are very willing to interact and lavish attention on them.  My 9 month old just enjoyed crawling around the ship and hanging out in the different areas and people watching.  We did bring a ton of toys for her.  

Also not sure if you realize, she will not be allowed in the pool.  Some Carnival ships have play areas on them and I'm not sure if they allow swim diapers or not, but I believe the answer is no. 

We never felt the deck areas were unsafe for her and even let her out on our balcony.  She wasn't walking yet, but I would imagine I would feel the same way with her now.  It's really hard to fall overboard and there's not usually stairs all around that she could easily access.  

Not sure that answered your question, but just another point of view.  We might be convinced to try it again IF we had family going AND we had connecting balconies that cold be opened so we could leave and go up on deck without fear of waking her up (obviously, one of us would stay with her on our balcony or have family watch her), but we both love cruising.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    aglennaglenn member
    We took our kids (2 and 4) on a Disney cruise in May at my mom's insistence and honestly, I would not recommend it for any kid under age 3, and preferably 4.  My DD had a blast in the kids' clubs and there were lots of things for her to do, but for DS there was really nothing.  We did a lot of wandering the halls and riding the elevator.  And this was Disney, so I would expect Carnival to be worse.  We spent a lot of time in the cabin while he was napping and while both kids were sleeping.  It was not fabulous. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your responses! Apparently I was wrong regarding the cruise line--it is Royal Caribbean, which I don't know if that makes any difference. I did research the ship tonight and learned that DD will NOT be allowed in any of the pools, so that kinda sucks. I'm glad to be armed with that information ahead of time so in the event we do go, I won't be super disappointed.

My gut is just telling me this isn't going to be very enjoyable, but DH feels otherwise, and since it's his family, it looks like we will probably be going. I also learned you can order diapers and wipes ahead of time to have on board so you don't have to use up all of your luggage space for that stuff, which is helpful.

Thanks again for your responses, and if any of you have cruised on Royal Caribbean with LOs, I'd love to hear your experience.
  • Options

I think you are setting yourself up for failure. You can't go into it assuming it will be awful. Lots of people cruise w/ babies and toddlers and have fun. 

Does the boat have childcare? Will your family give you a night off of bedtime duty? 

I'd still get off at the ports - you can swim on beaches at some/most of them. I'd plan on the kid taking naps in the stroller and/or baby wear for them. Same for some bedtimes. We've done this while traveling and it can work. 

Also, start doing research by looking at travel message boards - you'll find what people who cruise RC w/ small kids do. 

You're absolutely right.  Thank you for that response.  Sometimes I need to hear that if I just readjust my attitude, that can make all the difference.

The boat does have childcare, but they don't change diapers, so you have to carry a beeper around with you when your kid needs a diaper change.  They also have in-room babysitters on a first come first served basis for $19/hour.  My MIL has offered to step in and watch DD once in a while, so I will definitely take her up on that. 

I think my irritation mainly stems from the way that this was handled.  We had holiday plans in place to rent a house in Orlando for a few days over Christmas.  We had planned to take DD to Disney one day and then just relax and enjoy the outdoors in December for the rest of the trip.  Out of nowhere, MIL changed the plans and told DH and I that they were instead paying for a cruise for everyone, and if we chose not to go then we could just spend Christmas at home by ourselves.  A Christmas cruise was suggested 2 years ago when my BIL's children were 3 and 15 months old, and they refused because they felt their children were too young.  Now that their children are 3 and 5, suddenly a cruise is a great idea.  I'm being a huge baby and overly sensitive about this, I know, I'm just disappointed that the original plans were ditched without my family being taken into consideration. 

I will continue to do my research on the ship and cruising with toddlers, and try to have a better attitude overall about the entire situation. 

• Options
    2013mommy said:

I think you are setting yourself up for failure. You can't go into it assuming it will be awful. Lots of people cruise w/ babies and toddlers and have fun. 

Does the boat have childcare? Will your family give you a night off of bedtime duty? 

I'd still get off at the ports - you can swim on beaches at some/most of them. I'd plan on the kid taking naps in the stroller and/or baby wear for them. Same for some bedtimes. We've done this while traveling and it can work. 

Also, start doing research by looking at travel message boards - you'll find what people who cruise RC w/ small kids do. 
    I agree with this, especially the bold. 

We went with family and friends on Celebrity a few years ago and our friends had an 18 month old. It did suck that he couldn't go in the pools but otherwise it was fun. We did great excursions and found child friendly areas on the boat for sea days. There were several of us so we'd switch off babysitting during naps/early bedtime so all of the adults felt like they could do fun things. I recommend the website Cruise Critic. You'll find lots of great information and customer reviews! 
    Thank you!  I know I need to adjust my attitude about this for sure.  I will definitely check out your website recommendation.  Thanks again :)
  • Options
    My grandparents booked a cruise for our whole family when I was pregnant with DS and when we went, DS was 9 months and two of my cousins had little ones 11 months and 21 mos. I know we were all a bit concerned, but it was great. For us, we had plenty of people (20 of us altogether, including the 3 babies) more than willing to entertain or nap with babies. 

At sea days were a little more difficult without being able to go to the pool, but with DS, we just walked around and played. Port days, we got off and shopped one day and went to the beach (which DS slept through almost all of) the other. At night, my parents were more than willing to stay with DS after he went to sleep, but I was so exhausted from the crazy schedule we'd been keeping since I'd gone back to work that I was completely content to go to bed with him. One night, he completely did not want to go to sleep, so we wrapped him in a blanket in his pjs and went to a show. He had fun watching it until he fell asleep in Grandpa's arms.

I think it would be harder with DS at the age now, but if my grandparents wanted to do it, we'd be there in a heartbeat. 
    Proud Doxie Mommy

TTC #1 since Sept. 2009 - DX unexplained IF March 2011 - "Surprise" BFP March 2012
    DS born via c-section 11/17/12
    TTC #2 (or, not TTA) Nov. 2013
    BFP #2 8/22/14, Missed M/C 6w2d, Discovered 7w4d/Official 8w6d, D&C 9/27/14
  • Options
    AppleJacks81AppleJacks81 member
    edited July 2014
    I get where you are coming from! I felt the same way when my in laws kept suggesting we take trips with our little ones. Part of me feels bad from not wanting to miss out, but the other rational part knows how difficult it can be to even enjoy yourself on a big trip like that. I also get frustrated that everyone gets so intent on spending a huge amount of money I'm wishy washy about, and wondering why they just can't wait another year or two so we can ALL look forward to going when the kids are a little older. So, I get you! Honestly though, not all hope is lost! We took our then 9 month old on a Disney cruise and loved it! They have a nursery where you can leave the little ones in two hour increments. I don't know how baby friendly Royal Caribbean is but Disney was great! Her brother was just turning four, so they had tons of activities, and there was a baby splash area on the ship. If your in laws aren't dead set on a ship, I would definitely suggest looking into a more baby friendly one, then if you meet resistance, maybe suggest waiting until next year? I know how it feels to not want to be the negative nancy about everything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LimaDLimaD member
    memcgee1 said:

You're absolutely right.  Thank you for that response.  Sometimes I need to hear that if I just readjust my attitude, that can make all the difference.

The boat does have childcare, but they don't change diapers, so you have to carry a beeper around with you when your kid needs a diaper change.  They also have in-room babysitters on a first come first served basis for $19/hour.  My MIL has offered to step in and watch DD once in a while, so I will definitely take her up on that. 

I think my irritation mainly stems from the way that this was handled.  We had holiday plans in place to rent a house in Orlando for a few days over Christmas.  We had planned to take DD to Disney one day and then just relax and enjoy the outdoors in December for the rest of the trip.  Out of nowhere, MIL changed the plans and told DH and I that they were instead paying for a cruise for everyone, and if we chose not to go then we could just spend Christmas at home by ourselves.  A Christmas cruise was suggested 2 years ago when my BIL's children were 3 and 15 months old, and they refused because they felt their children were too young.  Now that their children are 3 and 5, suddenly a cruise is a great idea.  I'm being a huge baby and overly sensitive about this, I know, I'm just disappointed that the original plans were ditched without my family being taken into consideration. 

I will continue to do my research on the ship and cruising with toddlers, and try to have a better attitude overall about the entire situation. 

Honestly, after reading how the whole situation was handled I think I'd be an oversensitive baby about it too.  But I'm glad you are readjusting your attitude.  I hope it ends up being a great time! Don't be afraid to ask your MIL for extra help.  She might be preocuppied and not realize you're needing it.  And since she offered, take her up on it!
  • Options
    Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    edited July 2014
    Last November my parents paid for a family cruise for all of us. It was on Carnival. It was 6 adults, and 2 toddlers under 2. My parents helped with watching the kids at all times including play, nap and bed times. They let each couple pick an evening and night that they kept one child for the parents to have couple time for dinner, shows or whatever. It is different cruising with a toddler, but it is what you make of it and how much help you have.
  • Options
    Do you know which Royal Caribbean ship you'll be on?

The large ones have pools for babies... and have pretty extensive programs for babies in their nurseries (and I think will even change diapers on the big ships listed below)

Q:  Are there any restrictions regarding children in the pools?
    A:  Please note: Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups or who are not COMPLETELY toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, whirlpools or H2O zone. Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained may use the Baby Splash Zone specially designated for them on the Freedom of the Seas®, Liberty of the Seas®, Independence of the Seas®, Oasis of the Seas®, and Allure of the Seas®.

We may be doing a cruise with our 2-year-old and (will be) 6-month old next year with my mom, and have research Royal Caribbean quite extensively. If you're on one of their larger ships, the amenities for babies are pretty extensive.

We took DS to Mexico at 14 months.... it's tough, but if you set your expectations correctly, you can have a blast!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    EDD: 10/10/14
    Mommy to Jake, born 12/19/12
  • Options
    pugmom11 said:
    Do you know which Royal Caribbean ship you'll be on?

The large ones have pools for babies... and have pretty extensive programs for babies in their nurseries (and I think will even change diapers on the big ships listed below)

Q:  Are there any restrictions regarding children in the pools?
    A:  Please note: Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups or who are not COMPLETELY toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, whirlpools or H2O zone. Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained may use the Baby Splash Zone specially designated for them on the Freedom of the Seas®, Liberty of the Seas®, Independence of the Seas®, Oasis of the Seas®, and Allure of the Seas®.

We may be doing a cruise with our 2-year-old and (will be) 6-month old next year with my mom, and have research Royal Caribbean quite extensively. If you're on one of their larger ships, the amenities for babies are pretty extensive.

We took DS to Mexico at 14 months.... it's tough, but if you set your expectations correctly, you can have a blast!

Yeah, it's unfortunately not one of the ships you have listed, so my DD won't be able to use the pools.  The ship does still have the Royal Babies and Royal Tots programs, so there will at least be SOME activities for my LO to do.  This was the only cruise available that worked with the dates my BIL has off, so we didn't get a choice in the matter of which cruise line or ship we are sailing on. 

I'm sure it is going to be a lot more fun than I'm anticipating, but I figure if I set the bar fairly low, then I won't be terribly disappointed if it isn't the dream vacation with a toddler :) 

• Options
    We did a cruise when LO was 16 months and it worked out pretty great. The rocking motion of the boat really helped LO sleep quite good at night. We couldn't use the pools but most ships have splash pads on them plus the beaches at the different ports. You never have to worry about finding a place to eat because food is available around the clock. For naps I would order room service or a drink and just read a book while my LO napped. I also traveled with family so my husband and I got to soend a lot of alone time. It was such a good experience that we decided to do another cruise. You wont be going on vacation. You will be taking a trip with kids.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did a cruise when LO was 16 months and it worked out pretty great. The rocking motion of the boat really helped LO sleep quite good at night. We couldn't use the pools but most ships have splash pads on them plus the beaches at the different ports. You never have to worry about finding a place to eat because food is available around the clock. For naps I would order room service or a drink and just read a book while my LO napped. I also traveled with family so my husband and I got to soend a lot of alone time. It was such a good experience that we decided to do another cruise. You wont be going on vacation. You will be taking a trip with kids.
    What you describe sounds an awful lot like a vacation to me (alone time with your spouse, someone else cooking all your meals, etc.).  To me, any trip where I get a few breaks from my child and I don't have to cook == vacation ;)  That being said, I understand what you are saying.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"