May 2014 Moms
Options

9 week old rarely smiles :(

Brennan is almost 9 weeks old and he is our third baby. I'm starting to get really concerned with his lack of smiles. Both of our older children smiled so much from 5-6 weeks on. He has smiled a few really big smiles, when I really worked for it. I sing and play pat-a-cake with him quite a bit. His big sis and brother play with him and sing to him so much. At what point should I be concerned?

Re: 9 week old rarely smiles :(

• Options
    No advice but just wanted to say my LO is the same. He will smile at things sometimes, but still is not really socially smiling. He is 9weeks 2 days. I think I read they really should by 3 months but not sure and I thought it usually started around 7 weeks, I keep waiting for them to start :/
  • Options
    I think the milestone should be hit by 3 months ... so still some time.

Is there other milestones he hasn't hit yet? Cooing? Eye contact? Head control?

Some babies are slower, the timeline is an average. Mention it to your doc and keep an eye on it as there will be a point if the milestone isn't achieved.

Keep at it :) I hope it happens soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS was a very solemn, frowny baby till exactly 5 months. Then one day he decided to start engaging and having fun and he hasn't stopped smiling since. :)

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    Could just be a very serious baby
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    He coos and maintains eye contact very well. He also has great head control! I'm concerned but feel better knowing he's not the only one.
  • Options
    Mine is almost 9 weeks and he rarely smiles. I'm glad he's not the only one. He will a little bit if you work for it first thing in the morning but later in the day forget it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd mention it to your pedi so it is on their radar.

And trust your mom gut.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    He had his 2 month checkup yesterday and he said that he wouldn't be concerned yet, but if he's not smiling more consistently by 4months then he would start to be concerned. Especially since he's meeting all of his other milestones. I jusy wanted to see what you mommas thought.
  • Options
    Was he early? Even a few weeks can make a huge difference. My boys were born at. 37weeks and started smiling at 9 weeks. Now they are 11 weeks and smiling up a storm. Give it time. :)
  • Options
    No he was born at 39+5.
  • Options
    Just an update ladies... Brennan has been nonstop smiling since yesterday afternoon lol yah! Apparently 9 weeks is the magic week for him!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"