Special Needs

Random Noises/Babbling (especially during quiet time)

DD is 3 years old with a speech delay and in between therapists at the moment (insurance issues). Since she was around a 1-1.5 years old she has been babbling and randomly screaming when she gets really excited (or if she is bored). Her words are picking up pretty drastically, however, with that she has increased this babbling/screaming especially when she is practicing a new sound, she will say that sound for days. Anyways, at home we haven't been bothered by this except for during quiet time (she normally doesn't nap but we make her lay down for 1 hour with some books) she babbles up a storm. She just started at daycare and they are having trouble with her random noises because she wakes the other kids up :(.  Anyone else go through this? What did you do? I keep telling her "shhh, it's quiet time we have to be quiet" but I don't think she cares. Also, when she does get excited and screams/squeals my DH will tell her something to the effect of "Use words, like I'm exited" but I'm not sure that's what we should be doing, although I really have no suggestions otherwise. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Random Noises/Babbling (especially during quiet time)

• Has she been diagnosed with anything, or is it just the speech delay. Making too much noises might be a sensory seeking thing. Has she been evaluated developmentally? How is her receptive language? If she understands, I would keep doing what your DH does. But I would address this issue to her Pedi. It sounds like a behavioral rather than speech thing to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the tip, I try inside/outside voice but she doesn't seem to get it/care. We have kind of been through the ringer on therapy versus insurance. We've been to three therapists now and had to quit after the evaluation when we couldn't get their services covered. So we switched from DD from DH's insurance to mine and just saw a new primary (her old primary wasn't covered in the new plan, of course) who is sending a referral for us to get a full developmental evaluation. She was a little concerned about her resistance to getting an exam, as most children are more acceptable I guess. We are now waiting on that referral along with a new  speech therapists. She also starts an IEP in August with the school district. So far it's all been speech related diagnosis. She has pretty solid receptive skills. 

I know the screaming is more behavioral, as I mentioned she has been doing it since she was around 18 months and we were trying to encourage her talking and thought it was the a prelude to that. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"