LGBT Parenting
Options

Bottle Recommendations?

Hi all!
Looking for bottle recommendations from those of you formula feeding or pumping and bottle feeding. I have two bottles I got to try, but wanted to have a couple others. I figure whichever one 'clicks' with Simone we'll get more of...we are planning to EBF for the first month or so, but I want to be prepared in case things do not work out. I have some pre-mixed formula on hand if we need it.

So far I have:
  • Philips AVENT 4 Ounce Natural Glass Bottle, 1-Pack

• Tommee Tippee Bottle, 5 Ounce

Thoughts? I appreciate it! I know every baby is different, but just want to get a little more in my arsenal. 

TIA!

Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
June'12 - First RE Visit
Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

Re: Bottle Recommendations?

• Options
    I forget, did you get your pump yet?  Cause it may also come with some.  I ended up with the Medela PIS and it came with 2 4-5 oz bottles and nipples.  I haven't read great things about the Medela bottles, but since they work best with my pump, they might be a time/sanity saver if B (and S!) like them.

Don't have hands-on experience yet but I did a lot of research and Dr. Brown's have great reviews -- though people hate washing them FWIW.
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We use Dr. Brown's. In my opinion it has done the best job with Little man's gas! We did try Tommee Tippee, Playtex ventaire, Similac Simply Smart, and the Philips Avent. Both babies really seemed to like the Dr. Brown's the best though!
    image image 
    Mom to the Lil Man and the Lil' Lady born at 33wks1day 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have the medela calma and the munchkin latch. The munchkin seemed the most breast like, but the flow is pretty fast. I prefer the calma, he actually has to suck pretty hard to get milk out.

• Options
    We have only used Dr. Browns. That's all I had when he was born and he did fine with them, so we stuck with it. They are a pain to wash. When I went back to work I ended up buying more so that I could wash less often.
  • Options
    We found the glass bottles to be very heavy so recently we switched to Pura's stainless steel bottles and love them. They heat really quickly just place the bottle in hot water, and are easy to clean. They have silicone nipples so no plastics.

I also really liked the Como Tomo & Mimi Jumi bottles both of which have wide nipples which worked better for Kaden.

• Options
    Our baby liked the Avent.  For a long time didn't like the ones that came with our Medela pump.  Did when he got a little older.  

CageyMack
    37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

• Options
    KH826KH826 member
    We are currently using the Medela ones that went with my pump, but are looking to transition to something else soon. We tried Tomee Tipees, but they were a no-go for us. We also found that the nipples and nipple rings from the similac travel/one-use bottles fit on the Medela bottles, so that was another reason we have continued to use them. We are looking for something else slow flow (our guy has a tendency to chug a lug and then spit up), but I am not sure if the solution to that will be in the bottle, the nipple or both. At any rate, I am looking forward to seeing everyone's recommendations!

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Options
    KH826KH826 member
    @jazibel - I like the idea of the stainless steel! Where did you find those? The only issue for us would be the nipples. I have a latex/silicone allergy, so we would need to find something else that fit... I also like the idea of bottles that heat up quickly, because right now it takes about 7ish minutes to heat a bottle and usually causes a pretty large meltdown!

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @KH826 - here's a link to them I found on Amazon! LINK! I'm totally getting one of these to try! There are others with plastic not silicone too - just search "stainless steel bottle"in "baby" on Amazon! :)
    KH826 said:
    @jazibel - I like the idea of the stainless steel! Where did you find those? The only issue for us would be the nipples. I have a latex/silicone allergy, so we would need to find something else that fit... I also like the idea of bottles that heat up quickly, because right now it takes about 7ish minutes to heat a bottle and usually causes a pretty large meltdown!

June'12 - First RE Visit
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    Awesome feedback everyone! Keep it coming! I am going to 'finish' the registry on Amazon with my 15% one-time discount - so I've loaded it up with your suggestions. Thank you so much! It is so hard to know where to start, so this is a big help!

Mwah!!!

June'12 - First RE Visit
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    JGYJGY member

At first S (who did all bottle-related feedings) hated the Medela bottles that came with our pump, and after trying a few other options, settled on Born Free as her favorite.  Little did we know, this is the bottle that our daycare uses (our daycare provides bottles for the kiddos 2/ea. with their names on them etc.) so that helped a bit with the transition.

https://www.amazon.com/BPA-Free-Bottle-ActiveFlow-Venting-Technology/dp/B00IVPN2OW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1406060877&sr=8-10&keywords=born+free+bottles

Later on S decided she no longer liked the Born Frees and we went back to Medela.

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    I forget, did you get your pump yet?  Cause it may also come with some.  I ended up with the Medela PIS and it came with 2 4-5 oz bottles and nipples.  I haven't read great things about the Medela bottles, but since they work best with my pump, they might be a time/sanity saver if B (and S!) like them.
    Amen to this.  I pump into collection bottles, then pour into the bottles I send to day care.  So double washing.  Just last week I had the brilliant thought to pump directly into the Dr. Brown's bottles, but they leaked without the hoopla that you put in the bottles - so back to the double washing duty for us.  :P
  • Options
    mwagner25mwagner25 member
    edited July 2014
    We started with medela bc it was easy to have what matched my pump. When he started to have reflux issues we switched to Dr Brown's and that is still what we use now. We got a free sample of a tomme tippy and advent bottle from various registry gift bags. We tried those when Oliver was little but he didn't take to them.
    Same sex couple, Married 8/6/11
    Baby Oliver born 11/27/13

TTC stats with donor sperm...
    IUI #1 with trigger, 1/4/13 - BFN
    IUI #2 with trigger, 2/1/13 BFN
    IUI #3 with tigger, 2/28/12 BFP EDD 11/21/13
  • Options
    One more here for Madela calma nipples. They're expensive but mimic the breast as best as you can. They're slow flow and we never had problems switching from breasts and bottle. Though in all honestly I think my boy would take anything with milk coming out of it:)
  • Options
    We had to through through 5 different types of bottles before we found one the kids would eat from. We tried Medela (those worked while they were taking small amounts), Vent-air (kids couldn't get enough), Avent (leaked), Gerber (huge spit ups), and landed on Dr. Brown. My advice? Don't invest too much in one type until the kid gets here and gives the seal of approval. :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We tried 4 kinds of bottles yesterday so I thought I'd chime in. The Medela ones that come with the pump suck. Don't bother using for feeding, just for pumping and storage. Avent were OK. Lansinoh Momma, pretty good. Our top vote goes to Tommee Tippee. We haven't tried Dr. Browns yet.
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"