Stay at Home Moms
Options

Designers, Creative People, Come, Click, Post

So, the wall color thread got me thinking...
Our house has a random hallway. You can avoid using it and get anywhere in the house. It's main purpose would be if we decided to build up, the permanent staircase would go there. For now, it just has access to the crawl space and the attic.
I very strongly considered making it a magnetic chalkboard hall/wall, but haven't yet. Also considered making it a photo wall (because I grew up in the 80's). It is the same neutral as the living room/foyer area, but I considered painting it something vibrant too because it is off to the side enough to not mess with the flow. It's about 12-14 feet long.
So, WWYD?

Re: Designers, Creative People, Come, Click, Post

• Options
    Sounds like it's pretty much wasted space at this point. Do something with it!
  • Options
    Do something fun!  You can always repaint later if you hate it.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LC122LC122 member

Unless it's a place your kids usually play (or you're sure it's your forever home) I would not.  As I posted in the wall color thread, hallways not matching the main living spaces they are attached to is one of the things that really bothers me.  But if you aren't worried about selling the house again, then I say do whatever you want.

It is and isn't really attached to the main living space. It's kind of hard to explain. It runs parallel to the length of our living room, so it's behind one wall. You would think we should tear down that wall to make the living room wider but 1) it's probably a load-bearing wall and 2) you wouldn't want to put furniture in that space anyway because you would block access to the crawl space and attic and have to move everything anytime you accessed those spaces (mainly storage). If we ever built another floor up, the hallway would become a permanent staircase.

We actually bought magnetic primer and tinted chalkboard paint but have yet to use it. We read mixed reviews on how much space it actually covers and how strong the magnetism is, hence our hesitation. The wall that is least conspicuous also has the fuse box on it, so I don't know how that would factor into painting and such.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"