Trouble TTC
Options

4 mature follicles… advice needed

So I went to the RE today, I have 4 mature follicles- one 18.5 and 3 between 24-25.  They said they are fine going forward with TI, but that I need to be aware of the chance for multiples.  I am absolutely freaking out about this- I mean, twins I think I can handle, but triplets or higher I just don't think I could do.  Especially with the health risks.  I would say cancel the cycle, but it took me 6 months to get to this point of potentially ovulating, the best I've done before this is a 12mm follicle.  And I feel like if I wait for another cycle with clomid, the same thing will just happen again.  My RE told me it's clomid or IVF, that I would definitely over respond to injects.  I'm having a hard time even finding any numbers for what the percent chance would be for triplets/quadruplets.  Has anybody else been in this situation?  How did you make a decision?

On an unrelated note, is anyone watching the bachelorette right now??  An early TP to the asshole that thought that was appropriate for live television.

Me: 28 DH: 30 Married 3 years
Stopped BC 7/13 Officially TTC 9/13
First RE appt 3/28 Dx- non-IR PCOS
No response from Clomid 50mg or Femara 5mg
Clomid 100mg- BFP! Beta #1 15 DPO 169, Beta #2 17 DPO 340
EDD: 4/15/15

Re: 4 mature follicles… advice needed

• Options
    I'm not watching the Bachelorette because I'm working late tonight.  Darn, now you have me so curious about what I'm missing!  BTW, this season has been a bit boring for me!  Nick is super annoying and shady.  And I actually thought he was cute and endearing at first.  

So my response to your question is biased by my own experience.  This current cycle that I'm on, I had 4 mature follicles at time of trigger (before IUI).  My beta is 7/24 and I still have a feeling that it's a BFN (in spite of the awesome follicle count).  In your shoes, I would do it ....BUT I live in a state that allows for selective reduction.  Do you know if your state allows it?  If your state does allow it and you could handle that option, I would definitely move forward with your cycle.  That is my opinion though.  If you are strongly against selective reduction and are freaked out by the thought of 3+ (as most people would be!) then I'd reconsider.  Honestly though, my view on it (for myself) was that the chance of multiples was pretty small ....and I was willing to risk it.  

**Formerly EastBayBride508**

Me 34   Him 33

Me - Left salpingo-oophorectomy at 19 due to large cyst/torsion  and 2 large uterine fibroids found at age 30
    Him - Borderline low sperm count (correcting through Fertility Blend supplement)

Married 8/20/2011
    TTC #1 since Jan 2013
    First appointment with RE 10/2013.  
    April 2014 - Clomid 100mg CD3-7.  HCG shot CD10 IUI #1 done on 4/12/14 (CD12) ....BFN
    May 2014 - Break cycle to repeat saline sonogram and re-group.  Travel to Kauai 5/7-5/12 (Yay!!)
    June 2014 - Clomid 150mg CD4-8.  HCG shot CD14.  IUI#2 done on 6/9 and 6/10 (CD15-16) w/ Prometrium suppositories during TWW .... BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 150mg CD3-7.  Ultrasound CD12 - 4 mature follies! HCG trigger shot CD12 AM.  IUI#3 on CD13 w/ Prometrium suppositories during TWW ....BFN
    July 2014 - Repeat ultrasound done to measure size of fibroid - 8x9cm (the size of a grapefruit!) Surgery referral made.
    August 2014 - MRI done which revealed 2 fibroids: a 13x15cm fibroid as well as an 8x7cm one.  Super freak out mode over surgery plan.  OB-GYN/surgeon said surgery would most likely have to be a laparotomy (open abdominal surgery)
    August 2014 - After a 2nd opinion, plan to take Lupron x 2 months to shrink fibroids then laparoscopic/robotic myomectomy.  Surgery date is set for Nov 21st!  
    November 2014 - Robotic myomectomy done (2 large fibroids removed, mild endo found).  Benched x 3 months

PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    I'd go for it but it's a really personal decision. You have to do some soul searching to consider if you could handle multiples or if you'd be prepared to do selective reduction. It's not for everyone.

Official diagnosis: Unexplained IF. I am 32. I have low ovarian reserve (low AMH), and poor egg quality. I've also been diagnosed with mild glandular developmental arrest (lining problems, detected with EFT).

We are using open ID donor sperm. IUIs #1-7=BFN. IVF September 2014 antagonist protocol, 8R,5M,3F, 5 day transfer of 1 morula = BFN. IVF#2 planned for January 2015 (antagonist protocol + HGH).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I rarely post, but will throw in my 2 cents. I'd go for it.  As well as the follicle count, you also need to look at e2 levels. In the past, I had 5 mature based on size, but only had an estrogen of 600's.  Based on that not all were mature.  This month I have 4 mature based on u/s and 955 estrogen- most likely they were all mature. 

Only you really know yourself and know if you would be willing to do selective reduction or have multiples if that happens. 
    Me 38 DH 40
    TTC since Dec 2010.
    Diagnosed anovulatory, HSG clear. Slight MFI- borderline count, but excellent motility and morphology 
    Nov. 12- Feb.13 Gonal F + Ovidrel + IUI = BFN
    Lap April 13. Found blocked tube and bridged fimbria. Opened tube and cut fimbria. All clear 
    June 13  Gonal F+ Pregnyl +IUI = BFN Stopped treatment with RE due to side effects from drugs and told we needed IVF.
    Oct. 13 started Accupuncture and Chinese herbs- being monitored by RE. Getting better response- e2 and follie size. 
    Now RE says TI till March, then IUI. Fingers crossed, 

All welcome
  • Options
    I think it all depends on lots of factors. I'm mobile so I can't see your signature. Age matters a lot, for me since I'm 40 it's NBD but I'd be a little more cautious if I was 25, if you have MFI it's not that much of a big deal. Also would you be willing to do selective reduction if it turned into HOM.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    Tiko99Tiko99 member
    I would go for it. I had 120 million excellent sperm, 4 mature follicles, great lining at 11.5 and a bnf. My 7 dpo progesterone was 43 so I ovulated multiple eggs with no luck. Good luck!

Me: 33, DH: 32

TTC: 2 years
    Fertility blood tests all normal
    Tilted uterus
    3 day ultrasound 17 follicles
    HSG: 11/13/13- tubes open
    DH SA: SUPER sperm (145 million, 84% motility, 22% morphology)
    All infection disease and immunity blood tests NORMAL

FIRST IUI May 2014: 100 mg Clomid days 5-9, third ultrasound CD 13 revealed four follicles 27, 24 and 20 and 13mm. Trigger shot May 28 with IUI May 29 and 30 (fingers crossed) - BFN started spotting 11DPO :(

IUI #2 B2B 6/23 and 6/24, three mature eggs and 130 million sperm! FX this is the month!  BFN 7/8

3rd cycle benched due to cysts - TI with OPK tests -  BFN

3rd mediated cycle: Clomid+Trigger+TI  (three follies left side, one on right as usual....what the hell right ovary get it together and produce some damn follicles!) 7DPO progesterone level 43 with NO suppositories YAY for a natural strong ovulation. Beta canceled started spotting 13DPO - Third time is not a CHARM! 14 day cycle WTF! Everything looks normal - RE wants to start injectables next cycle so this cycle I'm benched

Officially benched until March....but still plan on trying the baking soda douche due to my excessive and thick CM

JANUARY SIGGY CHALLENGE...This is so me!

Love this man....he was so before his time in his thoughts and ideas about the world....been obsessed about him lately bringing it back to the early 90s.

Never thought I would like long hair....

• Options
    I would go for it as well, but it is a very personal choice. C and I are not comfortable with selective reduction, so had I ever gotten pregnant with multiples, we would have proceeded with the pregnancy, knowing the risks. That being said, 4 mature follicles was our agreed upon max for IUI. We cancelled two cycles because I had 6 and 7, respectively. That was backed up with high e2 levels.

FWIW, my RE looks for 3-4 mature follies during inject cycles. If you have that great of a response on Clomid, I agree with your Doc that you will probably over respond on injects.

Good luck in making your decision.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options
    I'm so sorry you're in this situation. Why couldn't those nice follies have been nicely spaced over the last few cycles? :( Very unfair.

PPs had great advice. E2 levels could give a better indication if you really have 4 healthy eggs ready to go.

If E2 numbers indicated several mature eggs, I personally would not take the risk for IUI, but because we have male factor I would probably go ahead with TI. If MH didn't have dumb sperm, I would not want to be in a position where I needed selective reduction for safety based on a risky decision I had made. 

Clearly this decisions are so complex and personal. I wish you the best whatever choice you make. :)
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Options
    Warning-children mentioned:

How old are you? I ask because I am 38 and I went forward with our IUI with multiple folis.  I did this because as we age, there are sometimes foils without actual eggs inside.  if you are younger, I may not risk it. I have twins at home.  Having twins as my first children was a great experience for us.  But, I am actually hoping for just a singleton next time.
  • Options
    I had 8 follicles with 4 of them mature for our first IUI on 7/12/14. I ended up with no babies and I would totatally do it again. I say go for it!
  • Options

I had 4 mature follies this cycle and I didn't even think twice about it, but we have sever MFI so we are in a different boat.

Good luck making your decision!

imageimage

TTC #1 January 2009
    January 2010 SA results: Count 16 million, Motility 40%, Morphology 2%
    January 2010- Surprise BFP! DS born 10/1/2010 :)
    January 2013 TTC #2
    September 2013 Repeat SA: Count= 1.7 million, Motility= 24%, Morphology= 2%
    November 6th 1st Appointment with RE: diagnosed with severe MFI
    Testing to try to determine a cause & possible treatment for MFI
    CD 3 blood work for me. RE does not want to repeat my HSG/lap at this point,
    but may want to before moving forward with any fertility treatments.
    After seeing the uro, DH is currently taking lots of supplements and clomid to try to boost his count. We will have a repeat SA in February to see if it works.
    Follow up SA numbers are: Count= 4 million, Motility= 40%, Morphology= 1%
    Uro wants us to have another follow up SA 5/9 to see if we see further improvement than we are back to the RE to make a game plan.

SA 5/9/2014 Count: 12 Million, Motility: 60%, and Morphology 2%. We will be doing iui #1 in late June

IUI #1 6/28 clomid + ovidrel, post wash count 3 million total sperm= BFN

IUI # 2 7/21 clomid+ ovidrel. post wash count 900,000 total sperm= BFN

IVF planned for early November- cancelled due to cyst

December IVF #1- 22 eggs, 20 mature,16 fertilized

12/9 Transferred 1 4AA Blast, 6 frosties

*****Everyone is welcome******

• Options
    I know that I would be uncomfortable with selective reduction, but I also wouldn't have to miss a whole cycle if the chances of 3+ were low. Can your doctor give you any stats on the likelihood of all of them getting fertilized and implanting? I would imagine it's pretty unlikely. 

Side note, I did watch the bachelorette... so awkward.

Me: 27 DH: 35

TTC #1 Since July 2013

Started RE Testing July 2014

2 HSG tests: Right tube is blocked, possible endo.

TSH elevated, started Synthroid 25 mg daily.

October, 2014: Femara 5 mg + TI ---> 3 follies on blocked tube side ---> BFN

November, 2014: Femara + Ovidrel + IUI#1--2 follies (on the good side), 46 mil. motile sperm=BFN

Nov-Dec 2014: Femara + Ovidrel + IUI #2 (1 follie, 76 mil. motile sperm) + Endometrin=BFN

January, 2014: Femara + Ovidrel + IUI #3 (1 follie, 38 mil. motile sperm)=???

New RE appt. scheduled for 1/14.

3T January Siggy Challenge: New Years Resolutions

Mine: Lose the weight I put on from booze and cookies over Christmas.

• Options

The PP's have all given great advice. I would say go for it. If your state allows selective reduction, and you and your S/O are on the same page with it, just keep that as an option. DH and I had to have a serious discussion about it this month knowing we would most likely be doing injectables next month. It's not a fun conversation to have, but a necessary one.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

***Signature/Ticker Warning***

March 2008 - DD born - no issues conceiving (surprise). Limited issues during pregnancy/delivery.
    June 2011 - Married DH.
    June 2013 - Diagnosis of Endometriosis and PCOS (approximate).
    December 2013 - First cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    January 2014 - 2nd Cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    February 2014 - 3rd Cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    March 2014 - Took month off to prep for surgery
    April 2014 - Laporoscopy for endo. Unable to remove endo due to too close of proximity to ureter. HSG done as well. Fillopian tubes open.
    May 2014 - 1st round of Femara. Positive OPK. BFN.
    June 2014 - 2nd round of Femara. Moved to RE to have CD10 Follicular U/S. No Follies in left ovary. 5 follies in right. Largest follie 8mm, 1 7mm, 2 3mm, 1 2mm. Positive OPK on day of U/S. BFN. DH has SA done at this time - All results within normal limits.
    July 2014 - 3rd round of Femara. CD10 Follicular U/S. No follies in left ovary. 7 follies in right. 1 20mm, 1 12mm, 1 10mm, 4 <5mm. Scheduled for IUI. Canceled due to low estrogen level of 145. TI this month. Prepping for Injectables next month. BFN.
    August 2014 - CD3 BW Normal. Injectables not happening because of stupid miscommunication about "required injectables class." Taking class this month. No medication. TI for the month. SIS scheduled for 8/7/14. SIS results - "I have a beautiful uterus." Huzzah!
    September 2014 - Cycle cancelled due to stupid AF coming early and making my IUI run in to DH's business trip. Try again next month.
    October 2014 - Injects with IUI cycle. 75U 5 days. Estrogen at 36. Bumped up to 125 for 4 days. Estrogen 105. Bumped up to 225. Ganirelix for 2 days. 4 mature follies. Triggered 10/9. IUI 10/10.
    BFP 10/24/2014. Beta #1 - 178   Beta #2 - 398.   U/S 11/7/14- TWINS!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Another go-for-it opinion here...check out my siggy, BFN's. Good luck KimL !!

ME:      36, on BC since 1996,  irregular periods.   HUBS:      37, healthy

2001—meet.  2005—marry.  2006—Furbaby is born. 

On BC till end of 2009.  2010 NTNP.   

New Year’s Eve 2010—BFP?! January 13, 2011—early loss, HCG peaked at 324, no D&C needed.

+++++

Feb 2011-Nov 2012—NTNP 

Dec 2012 --present (TTC 20 months) Not even a hint of a BFP

Me:  BW, U/S, HSG, HSN normal.  AMH 2.33.  Hubs: SA normal 

+++++

April 2014--IUI #1 Clomid 100 4-8 Follistim 150 9-14, 5 mature follies at trigger, Peak E2 5/5 1100, BFN 

May 2014 ---IUI#2 Clomid 100 3-7 Follistim 150 8-13, 3 mature follies at trigger, Peak E2 6/6 547, BFN

June 2014--IUI#3 Follistim 150/225 3-15, 3-5 mature follies at trigger, Peak E2 7/11 1450, BFN

July 2014--IUI#4 Follistim 225 2-12, 3 mature follies at trigger, Peak E2 8/12 841, BFN

Breaking till after Christmas, then IVF...taking 4000 mgs daily Inositol and Melatonin 3mg

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!!  We are going for it.  I feel a lot better about it after reading everyones experiences.  At this point I really don't know what we will do if we get multiples, but I figure we have to take this one step at a time.  I appreciate all the input, you ladies are the best!
    Me: 28 DH: 30 Married 3 years
    Stopped BC 7/13 Officially TTC 9/13
    First RE appt 3/28 Dx- non-IR PCOS
    No response from Clomid 50mg or Femara 5mg
    Clomid 100mg- BFP! Beta #1 15 DPO 169, Beta #2 17 DPO 340
    EDD: 4/15/15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"