Dads & Dads-to-be

Security systems

Do y'all have security systems installed? Have a favorite security system? Iv been weighing the cost benefit of having one. I live in a safe neighborhood and our neighbors keep and eye on each others houses. For instance, when we first moved in we were only here for 4 days before leaving on our honeymoon so we had my father in law stop by and get the mail. Long story short our neighbor came over demanding to know who he was. I don't have much of value and what is valuable (sentimental) to me is in a safe that's bolted to the slab of the house. I'm not worried about something happening when I'm home because I'm more than capable of handling the situation, but more worried about when I'm not here.

Re: Security systems

• I wouldn't buy a security system if you live in a decent neighborhood.  I had one when I was in Oklahoma with the apartment that I was renting, I never used it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• What we finally did was buy a system that you put on your door from the hardware store. You can set it to alarm, chime or off. I think it was $10-$20. A cop friend of ours said that's really all it takes to scare someone off.

Here's a link to what we have. The set we bought came with a bigger one that you put on your main door. https://www.lowes.com/pd_388558-41166-DWS901_4294719511__?productId=3735305&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

• Loading the player...
  • I just realized the link has it at $20 for one. I think what we bought included 3 of those and a really big alarm and we paid about $20 total. Maybe it's just high because it's online.
  • Wulfgar said:
    I wouldn't buy a security system if you live in a decent neighborhood.  I had one when I was in Oklahoma with the apartment that I was renting, I never used it.

Most people never do use their alarm and it's usually because they have an alarm and aren't an easy target. An alarm isn't bought to be used, it's bought so no one even thinks about breaking in and thus goes unused.

People also get robbed everywhere. We know plenty of people who have been robbed who live in a decent neighborhood. Me being one of them.

• I really appreciate the feed back y'all. Thanks. I'm going to probably go with the security system from lowes.
  • We've got a 75lbs German Shepard he does a good job scaring people away. Don't tell anyone hes a big baby lol
  • He doesn't run away he continues to bark for a few mins til he decides there not a threat then he smells them and all is good
  • My wife wants a dog, but I'm still getting used to the amount of responsibility of having a baby that I dont want to add to it. I think after two years of baby it would be a good time to get a dog. Also, the dog would probably be thier first lost and it's a good life lesson to learn how to cope with a loss. Losing an animal I would think would be easier than losing a person they love.
  • Potty training is usually the worst part and basic training is key and you need to keep up on it other than that their not to bad
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"