2nd Trimester
Options

Living Room Nursery

My husband and I live in a one bedroom apartment. I'm 22 weeks along and we just can't afford to move into a 2 bedroom quite yet.
Any advice on how to turn a living room into a nursery as well? Our living room is quite large but the bedroom is very small so we can't fit anything in the bedroom.

Re: Living Room Nursery

• Options

There are some really neat options for apartment sized cribs and such which should help with space.  Friends of ours had twins in an 800 sq ft apartment last year, it was tough but they made it work.  They had a den though so they used that as the nursery.

I would recommend that you dedicate a portion of the room as the nursery and find a way to seperate it from the rest of the room a bit.  Screens and such might be helpful to help feel like baby has some dedicated space and give you and the hubby some adult space as well.  Aside from that keep your furiture small, functional and organized as much as you can.  Sorry I can't be of more help!

• Options
    I would prepare to change your plans and reconfigure as your baby gets older. For the first 4ish months, most babies can sleep anywhere, even if it's bright or noisy or people are walking by. Sometime after that, it's best to have a darkened room without distractions. Some babies can do without it, but other babies will never, ever sleep if they can hear their parents talking or people walking by. So if you set up the nursery in the living room, you might end up feeling like a prisoner in your own apartment if you can't do anything in your living room without waking the baby. I think it might be good to have a portable bed for your baby such as a pack n play or a mini crib (which, unlike standard size cribs, fits through a doorway) so you could put the baby to sleep in whatever room suited you at the time... e.g. baby could take daytime naps in your room and you could still watch TV in the living room, or at night you could out the baby in the living room and have your bedroom to yourself. Good luck! You'll figure it out, but it might take some trial and error.
    baby girl  5.12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you have a dining room? My cousin put her son's nursery in the would be dining room and they just ate in the kitchen....maybe you could use a screen to block it off from light? Good luck!
    Megan and Brandon ~October 10, 2009~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Do you have a walk-in closet? Ive seen some awesome closet nurseries online.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I never thought of those of those things. Very helpful :)
  • Options
    you could also maybe consider switching the rooms.  Making your/babies bedroom large and your living room small.  MH and I did that when we lived in a 500sqft apartment and it worked out well.
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"