October 2014 Moms

Bikini When Pregnant! Eww!

So, a close family friend of ours posted a photo of her at the pool. In the background was a pregnant woman probably about 4-5 months along, wearing a bikini. This family friend's post stated "look closely-bare baby bump on the girl next to me!!! Made me very uncomfortable..."

Last month, I went to the beach, and proudly flaunted my baby belly in a bikini (see below), not caring what others thought! If this lady was not a close family friend, I would say "shame on you!" but don't want to offend anyone.

Am I wrong for thinking a bikini when pregnant is totally adorable?!

Re: Bikini When Pregnant! Eww!

• The ONLY reason I didn't wear a bikini at the beach last week was because I drastically underestimated how large my boobs have gotten and none of my bikini tops fit. 

(I really thought this post was going in a different direction with the title.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    ::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants 

This is legal advice. Circa 2011 image
  • Loading the player...
  • No, the lady that thinks it's weird is the weird one! We lived in Puerto Rico and I also noticed when we visited Hawaii that EVERYONE wears a bikini! It doesn't matter the body type. If you're comfortable with yourself, rock the bikini. I think you did exactly that ;-) I don't know how you keep your mouth shut. You should make that your profile picture just so she gets the update!
  • Oddly (or hypocritically, I thing bikinis are super cute on pregnant women but I do not like bare belly maternity pictures...go figure.

That said, I would never wear a biking pre-pregnancy so I'm not about to now!  Too much of me to cover :)
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• I think as long as what should be covered is covered, bare that bump.
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, I only feel brave enough for a bikini while pregnant...the baby hides/trumps the flub, so I worry less about how I look. ;)

I think it's weird and silly to be made "uncomfortable" by a pregnant belly. Also unkind to post something like that. I would have trouble not commenting about it on that FB post. :P
    imageimage
  • I never wear bikinis when I'm not pregnant, but I'd consider it while pregnant.  Like someone else said - the baby belly substitutes for the chubby belly that makes me uncomfortable in a bikini any other time.  I see nothing wrong with pregnant ladies in bikinis.
  • Pregnancy is the only time I feel confident to wear one because I actually have a valid excuse for the belly! Lol
  • I wear a bikini. Mostly because this is my first baby, I don't have stretch marks, and don't own a maternity suit.

People stare at me, and I don't give a shiz. My belly is cute. And never again will I wear a bikini.
    ~First time mama, strikingly handsome husband, comedic pooch, krumpin' baby girl on her way~

• I don't know your friend but do you think maybe she meant something else other than uncomfortable? I feel my sexiest while pregnant but it was still a bit weird to see my belly so stretched in the later stages of pregnancy. Like an I can't believe it stretches like that and there is a baby in there sort of thing. I think people who haven't been pregnant or been exposed to many pregnant bellies might have a bit of a whoa experience seeing one. Still weird to post about it on Facebook even if she didn't mean to use the word uncomfortable.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• I'm still wearing the bikini. Mainly because I had ordered a maternity swim suit, and it was unattractive and really cheaply made, so it went back! I'm 28 weeks now, and my belly button hasn't popped and I don't have any stretch marks, so I wear the bikini! My husband says there's nothing to be self conscious about, because there are plenty of non-pregnant women wearing bikinis that probably shouldn't!

My in-laws are a little uncomfortable with it. They are always asking things like "you don't have a bikini on under there, do you?" Or "have you bought a maternity swim suit yet?" Or "you're going to be so hot wearing your cover-up all day." Ha! At first I was offended, but then I realized it's just a generational thing!

So ladies, rock on with your bikinis!
  • Clsmith5413.   
    Baby J #2 due 11.12.16
    Sydney Elizabeth born 9.24.14

• Glas43Glas43 member
    I think if you are comfortable go for it!
  • I'm tall and have yet to find a one piece swimsuit that doesn't give me a big wedgie normally! I even bought a maternity one piece a few months back thinking --finally! There's no way this one will be too short!---my camel toe said otherwise and back it went. Bikinis are my only option!
  • Rock that bikini! I have been!!!
  • All I wear is a bikini! Wear it if that's what you're most comfortable in!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1 - 12/12/11 - Missed M/C 1/9/12
    BFP #2 - 4/5/2012 - Son Born 12/12/12
    BFP #3 - 2/2/2014 - EDD 10/16/2014
  • I vote for posting your super cute beach pic in response to her post!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Some people don't look good in a bikini, pregnant or not. I happen to be one of them ;)
    But do I get offended? No, I say rock whatever makes you feel good. Who cares what people think.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ladies sorry if late.But I had a nice one piece my ant gave me.And a couple of bikinis.So rock that bikini sweetly
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"