3rd Trimester
Options

Help...Need Advice!

My husband's work has been planning on him going with his boss to LA for a week (we live in North Carolina). It keeps getting pushed back.  Before today, it was planned they were going the week of August 4.  Now they're going August 11-15.  
I'm a FTM and currently am 31 weeks pregnant.  That means that the week he could be gone is the week I'll be at 34 weeks.  His boss understands if he says he can't go and it's apparently not a big deal if he doesn't this time around - especially considering the circumstances.  I have no idea what to do though; he's asking me what I'm comfortable with.  I'm so nervous that if he goes, I could end up going into labor and having our daughter without him here but at the same time, if he doesn't, my luck is everything will be fine and she won't come during that week anyways.  
I know it's a big gamble and that it's fine for me to tell him not to go, but I'm still torn and not really sure what to do...any suggestions or advice out there?

Re: Help...Need Advice!

• Options
    If you haven't had complications, the chances of your going into labor at 34 weeks are pretty slim. My husband went abroad for a few days at around the same time and I was fine with it. But I also have a doula so I knew I wouldn't have to labor alone if, God forbid, I went that early. Do what you're comfortable with but I think that's a tad early to be canceling a trip. Chances are your OB would even let *you* travel cross country at 34 weeks
  • Options

Wow tough one!  Do you have any indications that you may go into labor early?  High risk, measuring early, any medical concerns/issues, etc?  If not then I personally would tell my husband to go, there is a very high chance that nothing will happen at 34 weeks, and it is only for 5 days right?

On the other hand if his employer REALLY IS ok with him not going, then leave it in his court to stay home.  I know how my company would be though, "say one thing, but mean another..."

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    THANK YOU ladies!  I know it seems crazy, and I'm sure all this worry is thanks to my hormones.  I haven't had any complications, the midwife told me last week when I was almost 30 weeks that I was measuring 31/32 weeks but that's nothing horribly drastic and the baby is weighing on target still so really, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.  I'm just paranoid. :S

Thank you for helping calm my nerves!  :)
  • Options
    If you haven't had any complications so far I wouldn't be concerned about YH being gone when you're 34w. Chances are slim that anything will happen while he's gone.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options

I agree with PPs, if you aren't having any complications then you should be fine at 34 weeks. My OB's policy is to be in the "local area" at 37 weeks until the baby is born. That means she's comfortable with me traveling anywhere I wish before then because my pregnancy is normal and healthy. Especially if you have family or friends that could help you get to the hosptial in the case of an emergency then I wouldn't see a reason to stop him.

• Options
    I totally understand you being nervous, but I agree that you should be fine if you haven't had any complications or signs that your due date is off up until this point. Sure, it's ultimately left up to nature when your little one will arrive, but 34 weeks is still over a month away from your due date, so it doesn't seem like a "big gamble," in my opinion. 

If I were you, I would just make sure to have contact information for your husband's boss, the hotel, etc. just in case you can't reach him on his cell phone. If your husband is anything like mine, he would race to the airport and find a way to get home if something crazy happened and your little one came early! :) Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    Well, with my first I had no indications that I would have a preemie (in fact, my doctor had encouraged me to fly home for Christmas at 30 weeks, and I did), but my baby came at 32.4 weeks.  It was very good that DH was around, but I would have been okay if I had a good friend or family nearby to come with me to the hospital instead.  If you don't have someone like this nearby, I would ask DH if he could stay.  PP makes a good point--is it really okay for him to miss the trip--if so, then what does it matter?  On the other hand, if it is not so okay, then he should go.  
  • Options
    The odds of you going into labor early are slim.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"