C-sections

Declining internals?

Now that I'm down to my weekly appointments, my OB practice said that the internal exams are optional since I'm having a planned c/s. I had them all with my first before leading up to an unplanned c/s, and had them with my second since I was planning a vbac, but never went into labor so that was a repeat c/s. What are your experiences with this? Is there a pressing reason to have or decline them?
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Declining internals?

• SarahRae85SarahRae85 member
    edited July 2014
    There's technically not a pressing need to have them for a vaginal birth. They're essentially meaningless, and doubly so when you're planning a RCS.

I didn't have them for my first two pregnancies at all (except when I was admitted after a car accident at 33 weeks with my 2nd and they wanted to be sure the contractions weren't doing anything)

ETA: I did them with my 3rd, since I was planning a VBAC. They did play a part in deciding for a RCS, but they were kind of at the bottom of the list that changed my mind.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I had a cs due to baby being frank breech. We knew her position at 32w or so, and they were checking every time since that point, she never turned. I never had any internal exams either. I can't imagine why you would need/want them if you are having a planned cs.
  • Loading the player...
  • I just had a RCS, and I didn't have any internals. There really was no need for it since the CS was planned.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Bc I was having a repeat CS I was told they would not do internals. Why chance going into labor before your cs date. That is why my doctors wouldn't do it. 

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• i did not have one internal my entire pregnancy. my midwife said they were not needed. i ended up having a csection and she said even during labor i was not going to need to have an internal. with any future children i will still decide to not have an internal, i will not object with any immediate health/safety concerns of the baby. i chose not to have any due to possible infections that my arise due to frequent checking, and they are not completely accurate.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I had a c/s due to breech position. My OB did one internal at 35w but I declined them after.
    I'll have an RCS this time around and will deny them fully - no need for them IMO with a scheduled section.
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"