January 2013 Moms

Sleep training

Tell me what method you used and why. DD has developed horrible sleep habits lately and I can't take it anymore.

Really appreciate your thoughts and ideas!
Our little Samosa arrives in January!

Re: Sleep training

• So we did Ferber, but before you think I'm an awful mom who let's her child cry - hear me out. I'm a total helicopter parent and would never, ever just let my child cry. He was sleeping well and then all of the sudden stopped. Just stopped! We were waking up every 2-3 hours and I had enough. I read the Ferber method and finally decided to try it. I can't remember the actual time periods for the first few nights, but the gist is you comfort and put them down. You can go check after 3 mins if the baby is crying (and yes that first night it felt like forever), then 5, then 10. The first 2 nights I (yes I cried more than he did) cried so much, but after he was down he sttn. By night 3 he only whimpered and by night 4 he just went down. Of course we have regressions but I use a 5-10-15 rule for check ins (but never get past 5, typically). And usually if he wakes he's sick and I can tell so I treat it with cuddles and love instead. It's not for everyone but it worked for us and we have an amazing sleeper. Good luck mama!

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We also used ferber at 6 months with ds, who was a terrible sleeper from day one. We saw vast improvement within the first week. I would recommend reading ferber's book, developing a plan, and sticking to it. Consistency is key. It's hard, but remind yourself you are doing what's best for your child in teaching them how to get good sleep.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I would echo the PP's advice on Ferber. I was 100% attachment parenting and unwilling to sleep train until DS hit 13 months and started waking up every hour. I had to nurse him back to sleep and I started having bad health effects from waking up so often. DS responded so well to Ferber intervals. It only took about three days for him to start sleeping through the night. I would highly recommend the interval training.

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• DCKateDCKate member
    Question about Ferber. DD stays asleep for naps and bedtime just fine, it's getting her down that's the problem. Does that make sense? Is Ferber helpful for that as well?
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • I think Ferber says to do the same thing for getting LO down at night too. He said to start like 30 minutes later than they usually fall asleep so they are tired but not over tired and put LO down awake. Comfort, say goodnight and leave the room and then do a quick comfort and continue leaving at intervals until LO falls asleep on their own. Then do the same intervals of and when they wake at night.

That being said, I am a wuss and while we never had issues with going to sleep I have never rally made it past five minutes of crying before checking on DD. I still have a give minute rule and so fat unless she is sick she doesn't cry longer than five minutes consistently.

I worked on naps first since I hadan easier time then when tired in the middle of the night. Again, I never resorted to CIO. The only night she ever cried longer than five minutes was one night that she tried to throw her blankie out of the crib and cry for mommy to pick it up. I gave in twice and by the third time I said no and all hell broke loose! I literally had to take a shower at 2am to block out the tantrum that ensued but she never tried it again.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"