April 2013 Moms

Boating with baby...

Has anyone taken their toddlers out boating with them?  Any tips or suggestions for a smooth trip.  

We have an upcoming trip with the in-laws to the lake.  Not sure I am really looking forward to the trip on multiple levels :)  One staying in a small cabin with his parents and sister and everyone sharing one bathroom.  Also DD is very active these days.   She will not sit still unless sick or tired.  So I am pretty sure the boat will be nightmare.  My husband thinks he will be able to just hold her while we drive around and then she can move around the boat when we are parked somewhere.  Hmm, good in theory.  But the other day I tried putting on her life jacket and she hated it.   She cries and squirms if you hold her much.  I don't really like the water of having her in the lake.  And I think the in-laws totally forgot how active she is and the fact she will need to come back for naps, cannot stay out forever in the heat.     

Re: Boating with baby...

• Well the way you describe it sounds miserable, but we have a lake cabin and my niece has been out on the boat since she was a baby... just for short trips... and she did just fine.  But my brother and SIL got her used to a life jacket very early, knowing this would be a frequent occurance!

We haven't taken James to the lake yet -- for similar reasons you describe above - the last thing I want after a stressful work week is to have to pack up the whole world, drive 3 hours, chase him around an un baby-proofed house, care for him out of our routine, pack everything back up again, drive 3 hours home, go back to work . No thanks!  So good luck!  But it is definitely doable.  Just remind your in-laws that the baby can only go out in the boat for short trips.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Kate_CKate_C member
    Both my kids have been on boats on lakes several times and have done fine. Pontoons are easier because they can walk around a bit more without you worrying. But they both have done well with it, as long as you keep moving. And my son also fell asleep on the boat from the rocking motion, so might be able to get a nap done that way! Give it a shot - you might be pleasantly surprised. I certainly was. Had the same concerns as you and the kids did just fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • My kiddo loves the pontoon. He hated one life jacket, but doesn't mind a thinner one we found. He likes to "drive" the pontoon. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• We went camping and boating last month. It went well actually because everyone helped with dd. I'm sure they will understand she needs naps! My dd hated the life jacket when I tried to put it on her but when her big cousin (7 years old) put it on her she was fine! She actually went from lap to lap in the boat and walked around and got in the water when we stopped the boat for breaks. My dd is as active as they get so if she can do it , your LO can too! :) hope all goes well!

imageimageimage

• I have an active toddler and he did just fine. He sat on our laps and enjoyed the ride. Worst case scenario, you play on shore.

I think if you decide you will have a crappy time, you will, and so will everyone else.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"