Trouble TTC

TI or IUI first?

catlover790catlover790 member
edited July 2014 in Trouble TTC
I was trying to find some information on the statistics for the different drugs (femara and clomid) and treatments so I can decide what we should do first, and I was hoping you might be able to help!

As of now our diagnosis is anovulatory for me, DH sperm are great. I am having an HSG this cycle but RE said I could do femara as well. I'm trying to decide if we should do one cycle of TI or jump right to IUIs? I feel like since I haven't O'd in so long we haven't even had a chance to TTC on our own and part of me wants to try TI just once at least. I want to see some statistics too of the chances that I will O on femara and how much of an increase the IUI would add for getting pregnant. Does anyone know where I could find this info? I've tried using search here and google but nothing so far.

We are all OOP so I want to get the best chances for getting pregnant with each cycle but also don't want to jump ahead if it isn't necessary. What would you recommend?

I have my CD3 bloodwork tomorrow and I guess I will figure out the plan with the Re then but it's been kind if hard to get a plan of action from them. I went for my consult on 6/16 and wasn't even given prometrium to have a period for another 2 weeks even though I asked about it at the consult which caused confusion and another cost of an appointment to me, and obviously there was miscommunication between the doctors so I am starting to worry about them.

I feel like I have to go into my appt tomorrow and just tell them what I want to do. Sorry for the rambling, thank you for your help!
***********siggy warning **********

Me: 26 DH: 27
TTC #1 Since Aug. 2013
Cycle 1: O CD 25=bfn
Cycle 2: O CD 48=bfn
Cycle 3: Anovulatory/Provera =120 days!
Cycle 4: Anovulatory/Prometrium=127 days! RE consult 6/16
Me: Anov/poss. pcos?  HSG=normal/SA= Normal 
July/Aug. 2014= Femara+trigger+TI=BFP!!
Beta #1@ 16dpo=626!! Beta #2=1510
Ultrasound @ 5w6d=heartbeat at 110!
Ultrasound @ 6w6d =heartbeat at 131!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: TI or IUI first?

• @rainbowbridge14‌ Thank you so much! I will read into these today!

TTC #1 Since Aug. 2013

Pregnancy Ticker

• @packerfan4life‌ Thank you for your perspective! I will double-check the SA results today, I didn't think of anything being borderline so that is something to check again. I think the cost is an additional 400 or so. Not too terrible but still. Thanks again!

TTC #1 Since Aug. 2013

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • @triathlete23‌ Thanks!

@apresmoi Thanks! I think my DH wants to try a couple TI just because he wants to let us "try" since I haven't been ovulating. Thanks for telling me your RE said it doesn't add too much if there are no sperm issues to do IUI. I will ask my RE tomorrow but I wanted to go in with enough info. Thanks!

TTC #1 Since Aug. 2013

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm anovulatory as well. We also were thinking about the whole "give TI a chance", since we really didn't feel like we got a opportunity to try on our own with my crazy cycles. However, since the cost difference between TI and IUI wasn't super significant (~$300), but the chances were better (5-6% success vs 15%), we decided to go with the IUI. DH's low morphology also played a role as well.

I'm CD 2 right now, so we'll see how it goes! Good luck to you : )
    Basically all of this. The cost for IUI wasn't that much more. My husband had a good SA and our only issue is that I'm anovulatory, but we still decided to jump right to IUI. After 3, I'm glad we did because I want to get moving along.

Also, especially with Clomid, your cervical mucus can become kind of hostile. Because the majority of the cost of the cycle was the monitoring, I wasn't about to have CM/lack of the $350 IUI be the thing to unknowingly trip us up.
    **siggy warning**  **everyone welcome**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    DS- 11.07.02
    DSS- 6.26.04
    Married- 6.29.13
    TTC Again- Sept. 2013
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Test Results/Diagnosis- HSG & SA totally normal
    DX: 3/2014 Prolactinoma/Hyperprolactinemia- Started cabergoline 2/2014
    5/2014 Possible mild PCOS in addition to hyperprolactinemia??
    7/2014 Adding probable tubal factor to the diagnosis list
    9/2014 And now adding hypothyroid to the list- Started synthroid 9/2014
    Cycles 1-4 - Sept.-March- All Anovulatory 
    IUI #1 March/April-  Clomid 50mg + Clomid 100mg +Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN
     IUI #2 April/May-Clomid 100mg + Clomid 150mg + Trigger + IUI #2 + Endometrin=BFN
    IUI #3- June- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3  Benched due to a 40 mm cyst. :-(
    IUI #3- July- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP! on 7/25/14
    Slowly rising betas - Ectopic suspected on 8/8/14 & confirmed on 8/11/14
    Methotrexate on 8/12/14 -HCG negative on 9/2/14
    IVF #1- November- Antagonist protocol: 11/1: start stims, 200iu of Follistim; 11/12 ER 17R/14M/14F; 11/17 5 day transfer of two blasts, 2 blasts and 2 expanding morulas frozen; 11/22 BFP!! (On FRER at 5dp5dt)
    Betas: 9dp5dt 205, 11dp5dt 497, 14dp5dt 1,709
    u/s at 5w0d- 1 sac; u/s at 6w0d 1 baby with heartbeat, another sac without a heartbeat

• @Lindy&Billy Thanks. I am hoping I will at least ovulate, but yes it's hard not to get hopes up too high. I am glad to at least get things moving along now.

@lebradford‌ Thanks, that's the way I was looking at it. The monitoring is the most expensive and that will be done regardless so I agree with you.

Thank you all for your help, it helped a lot! I think we are going to try one TI this time (as long as my RE agrees). My DH wants to at least try once this way since we haven't really had a chance. I would be more wanting to go straight to IUI because I'm getting impatient and would love to be pregnant soon (I teach) but I want him to be happy with our decision too. So I have my appt this morning; I'll let you all know how it goes!

TTC #1 Since Aug. 2013

Pregnancy Ticker

• My thoughts are that if I am medicating my body, I would want to get the most possible out of that cycle.

In your situation with great sperm, I would leave it to the RE to let you know how much IUI would up your chances in your situation (if he's anything like my RE, he will be very well versed in the recent research and happy to share it with you!). Then you and YH could make the choice for IUI based on your cost vs. time analysis. 

Good luck whatever you choose!
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • @BunnyBerry‌ @Fightersince83‌ Thanks for your opinions! I appreciate it very much!

TTC #1 Since Aug. 2013