January 2015 Moms

First purchase of baby stuff

So I've been really overwhelmed thinking about all the baby stuff we need to buy--not to mention my impending need for maternity clothes (I can only wear these old stretched out yoga pants for so much longer!)
Today we went on a "date" to a couple of thrift stores. We found a great little store that is all children's and baby stuff. And what did we buy?
A Kelty baby carrier, something the kid will have to be at least 6/8 months old to even sit up in. It seems our priorities are a little off...but then, my husband is a long distance hiker and has long dreamed of taking our kid along on the AT.
This is a bit of a specialty item, so we jumped on the chance to get it used. I'm telling myself that to justify the purchase.
Anyway, what was/will be your first purchase of baby gear?

Re: First purchase of baby stuff

• We got our crib and dresser.
  • If its a boy, I'll get him his own baby blanket that's his, and a few outfits of his own. Everything else we have from my other 3 boys. ( my tradition is that my kids have their own blanket, and a few outfits that they haven't shared. Ie: coming home outfit. )

If it's a girl, clothes, and her own baby blanket. Everything else ( baby gear) we've got.

• Loading the player...
  • This is our second (our first is 6 and we've gotten rid of everything by now), and I don't want to have a shower, but know we need a lot, so I've been slowly buying gender neutral things each week. Last week I bought our car seat and stroller. This week, little things like the play gym and bath tub. One week was the 4moms Mamaroo. I know it's early at 16 weeks, but I figured that even if something happens to this pregnancy, we would try again and will eventually need this stuff. With basically starting over and the baby being born around the holidays, I wanted to get a jump on it when money isn't as tight. I am waiting on finding out the sex in a few weeks before buying furniture since my design ideas are so different.
  • I just placed my first order from Zulily this week and bought the monitors and some cute gender neutral outfits.  Today I scored at Pottery Barn Kids on a couple of floor models for the crib/bookcase and a shelf.  I also ordered a rug for the room and am placing the order for mattress/crib converter tomorrow.  It is early for me also, turn 16 weeks this week but could not say no to the deal!  
    Live like there is no tomorrow..Love like you have never been hurt...
  • Completely boring, diapers and wipes. I ran the budget and realized that the cost for diapers recommended on the registry list was going to be ridiculous. I figure that buying the incrementally will be less depressing.

I have also been checking out the local goodwill and arc. I have actually found some great stuff really cheap. Things like baby towels, sheets and so forth. I am basically not planning to buy any of the linens or clothes new.
  • When I was pg with my son the first things I purchased were the crib and dresser
    With this pg I have bought one nb boy and one nb girl sleeper. But that's it.
    Oh and I did buy an ergo carrier from my friend that was done with it.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• kolaczka said:

Completely boring, diapers and wipes. I ran the budget and realized that the cost for diapers recommended on the registry list was going to be ridiculous. I figure that buying the incrementally will be less depressing.

I have also been checking out the local goodwill and arc. I have actually found some great stuff really cheap. Things like baby towels, sheets and so forth. I am basically not planning to buy any of the linens or clothes new.

Be careful not to buy to many diapers. Diapers kind of are kid dependent. What works for one baby may not work for another. You would hate to buy to many of one brand only to find they don't fit yore kid right or your kid reacts funny and get a rash.

You can always do the gift card (put money on a gift card every week while pg) idea and then buy them as you need them in the size and brand you need.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• I've already bought a bunch (but all at thrift stores or second-hand so that's how I'm justifying it). Gender-neutral fuzzy pjs for those cold winter nights, two carriers, a swing, some nb hats, socks, and a bunch of books. Must get the instinct from my mom, who's already gotten me a sling, diaper bags, nursing tank tops, baby Einstein dvds, a few toys, and a whole set of cloth diapers. At this rate, I might not even need a shower lol
  • Cot bedding. Mostly blankets/patchwork quiltettes and the like and a cute cot bumper. It's all matching.
    A couple of unisex onsie vests.
    Oh and DH saw a cute plushy owl toy that rattled and wanted that for the cot!
    Not exactly priorities lol. But there is time to buy the boring stuff.

I've been looking at onsies and some things I'm waiting on finding out the sex for. Will buy pram a bit later once nursery is complete as then I will have place to store bought stuff.
    Once I'm 20w I will be buying the whole of the baby shops I bet!
    DH better get off his ass and decorate the to be nursery. I'm just too excited to wait much longer to buy stuff!
    BabyFetus Ticker

#1 Son born: 18 June 2008 :) 
     #2 M/C: 23 January 2014 at 5w,2d :( 
     #3 BFP: 28 April 2014. Yay! EDD: 6th January 2015
  • kbl13kbl13 member
    My very first baby purchase (last time) was a hooded bath towel, and then a pack-n-play. The only thing I've gotten this time (so far) is a double stroller.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• No actual gear yet, just some clothing :) (in particular- lacrosse onesies that we created/personalized online).  I'm kinda waiting until after my baby shower to buy more, I'll see what I need after that.  But I may pick up neutral clothing here and there when I see something.
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • edited July 2014
    I'm thinking of buying a nwt ergo carrier from a Mom from my last BMB. I never used a carrier with DD but figured one might come in handy on long walks and where we go isn't feasible for a double stroller. DD will be 4, which I think is just teetering on the age where she won't need a stroller but on longer walks she may need a rest.

The only other things I'll need for this lo is like bottle nipples and pacis.. unless it's a boy, then we will need clothes and nursery decor. We saved everything... I mean everything.
  • Since this is #2 for us, we have a lot of things already. Haven't bought anything yet, but we will need to buy a crib and a dresser for this baby.

I think we will end up spending more on DD before this one comes because we are transitioning her into a "big girl room" and I'll need to decorate it.

BFP #1: 4/2/12 -- DD born 12/15/12. BFP #2: 4/1/14 -- CP. BFP #3: 4/28/14 -- EDD 1/10/15

Jan 15  NOV siggy challenge: 

• We bought a crib, just because I found one that was on sale that I really liked. I am trying to not to buy to much to early & overspend

• MNgirl326 said:

kolaczka said:

Completely boring, diapers and wipes. I ran the budget and realized that the cost for diapers recommended on the registry list was going to be ridiculous. I figure that buying the incrementally will be less depressing.

Be careful not to buy to many diapers. Diapers kind of are kid dependent. What works for one baby may not work for another. You would hate to buy to many of one brand only to find they don't fit yore kid right or your kid reacts funny and get a rash.

You can always do the gift card (put money on a gift card every week while pg) idea and then buy them as you need them in the size and brand you need.
    Twins, so I will need double the diapers. I figure I would buy a couple of brands to start and buy enough for one and go from there. The babies could end up having different "preferences" in diapers so I will just end up using whichever diapers seem to work reasonably well for both.
  • We have bought some books from a trip we took years ago before we even started to try. Then when we found out I bought an elephant pillow blanket. I want to get an Ergo as it is on sale at Nordstoms until August. But that's it for now, we are renovating our basement so all extra funds are going to that but once we are done I plan to start buying more stuff.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The only things we 'need' (want) are a a dresser for the new baby, an infant carrier (gave ours to a cousin when DS outgrew it), and a new rocking chair.

If baby is a girl we'll need new clothes, and I'd like to go ahead and stock up on wipes and then get into the fun stuff.

I suppose even if baby is a boy we will need cold weather gear for an infant. In Florida DS was fine with jeans and onesies being born in December. Kansas January is a little more chilly for sure.

We're waiting for our sono on Wednesday. I'm going to start working on a registry today; if I wait too long I'll likely become overwhelmed.
  • This is our first so we'll have to buy everything that we need. So far the only thing we have purchased is a Graco Snap and Go from Craigslist. We've been researching car seats, strollers and cribs/bassinets but we won't be ready to buy anything for a few more weeks.
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• Pips09Pips09 member
    We have most of our baby gear from our first kid, but I can't wait to buy some new teeny tiny clothes!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• I feel like I've bought a lot. Lol It's our first and my husband wanted to make a movie trailer with a Beauty and The Beast theme to tell our families so I was supposed to go and get one outfit and one bib to wrap up for our puppy to open for the end of the trailer. I ended up buying 6 outfits (3-nb and 3-3 to 6 months) 4 bibs, a pacifier set, an adorable little giraffe rattle..... Plus side was it was all super cheap. All DH did was laugh at me when I got home and say "really?"

After that I picked up one more outfit (a sleeper). We also have a little stick pile of diapers and wipes (Some of which I got for free :)). The biggest purchase I've made so far is an infant travel bed that I got at Ross for a third of what Target was charging for it. We spend a lot of time at my MIL's house and she's an hour away so I figured it would come in handy.
    We also technically have the crib already (MIL and SFIL are getting it for us as a gift) I just have to finish clearing out the room and they will send it to us.

• Our first purchase will probably be clothing, if LO is indeed a boy. (Tech said it was a boy at my last u/s, but I'm waiting until next u/s to be sure.) The only things we'll need for the baby are clothing if it's a boy, new nipples, feeding pillow, and diapers/toiletries.

The only big purchase we need to make is a bunk bed and new mattress for DD2, so that DD3 can move into the toddler bed and #4 can have the crib.

• I refuse to buy anything until after 26 weeks. My mom sent me a text yesterday letting me know she bought all the fabric for the bedding and curtains. I kinda wish she had waited a few more months just in case something happens.
  • I just joined the first purchase club! I just ordered a nap and go playard and bassinet! Its been ten yrs since i had a baby so am in need of everything!
  • Just a couple of onsies/t-shirts so far.  We've picked our crib and are currently shopping around for the best price on it.  Also started our registry (I know that 15 weeks is early) but we don't have much on there.  Doing a lot of research and adding things to the registry as we decide what we are after.

• kursemkursem member

I haven't bought anything yet (except for maternity clothes because I am bigger than last pregnancy LOL).  I'm waiting until we find out the sex...because if it's a boy I will need lots of clothes and basic stuff and if it's a girl I won't need much so might get to splurge on some fancier items :)  We still have things like our pack n play, swing, etc...will have to buy a new stroller and carseat but waiting on sex for those as well.

I'm a shopaholic, so I'm kind of proud that I haven't bought anything yet...LOL

BabyFruit Ticker

• Nothing wrong with hopping on a great deal! I haven't bought anything yet, but have been keeping an eye out at the resale shops for great finds.
  • I'm terrible I haven't bought anything yet just keeping a baby list. I'm waiting to just finished this month because I'm still working and would stop working soon and would be focusing more my time to decorate my baby's room. It's my first child and I really want to make it special.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"