Two Under 2
Options

Maternity Ward Visits

I figure most of you folks have been through this, so this is the best place to ask :)  I'm expecting my second in January - DS will be 15 months at the time.  I was wondering if hospitals will typically let siblings that young visit in the maternity ward or if there are usually certain age restrictions?

What did you gals do with your first when in labor with your second?  My MIL will likely be with him for those 2-3 days, but I'd love to know I can see him at least a couple of hours a day. 

Thanks!!! :)

Re: Maternity Ward Visits

• Options
    I had DD#2 in February and the hospital was not allowing "anyone" under 14 for visitation due to a bad cold and flu season.  My husband had to wait in the car with DD#1 for his mom to come from 2 hours away, he almost missed DD#2 being born.  My husband would visit with the baby and I and then go back to help his mom with DD#1.

DD#1 was 21 months and I thought since we couldn't see each other it was best to not call her to upset her.  I think she missed me but was still too young to really notice how long I was gone (4 days). 

Baby #3 is due in February and it will probably be the same scenario.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Our hospital does not allow visitors under the age of 18 with the exception of siblings. Any sibling is allowed to visit as long as they are not sick. I think it will vary from hospital to hospital.

My dad and stepmom will be with DD and the plan is to have her come to the hospital to visit the day after her brother is born. I'm having a c/s so I want to make sure I'm able to get up, walk and not be hooked up to tubes and wires before she comes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My boys have always been allowed to visit, I wouldn't delive anywhere that wouldn't.  Stipulations of course for NICU.  Other visitors under 14 were not allowed
  • Options
    DS was allowed to visit as long as he wasn't sick. He stayed with my parents and they brought him the following day. They only stayed a half hour or so- once he investigated the new baby and checked out all the interesting equipment he was ready for the next adventure. It was a perfect amount of time IMO- he got to see me and meet his brother but wasn't underfoot or getting in anyone's way.
    IMG_0663
  • Options
    DD1 was 19.5 months old when DD2 was born. My parents kept her while I was in the hospital. My sister and mom brought her up the day after she was born. It was recommended to me to not be holding the baby when she came in so she didn't get possessive of me, so we had DD2 in the bassinet. DD1 was interested in the baby, but not nearly as much as I expected, although that changed when we got home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"