3rd Trimester

38 weeks with PUPPP's

I am 38 weeks on Saturday and developed puppps about a week and a bit ago and cannot IMAGINE having a couple more weeks or longer to go with it! I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone/themselves who have had this before that have been induce after 38 weeks? I'm literally clawing my skin and at night and it has reached my legs and armpits and also starting on my back! I know induction sounds so so selfish but until you've had this it's really hard to understand. I've tried everything under the sun to soothe it!! It's just making me sore, moody and miserable! Thanks ladies :)

Re: 38 weeks with PUPPP's

• One of the girl's I know from work got that!  She said taking benadryl and putting cortisone cream helped a lot. I would think an oatmeal bath might feel good, but I am not actually sure on that!  Definitely talk to your doctor but you might just need to deal with it for another week or so.  
  • I've tried both with neither working! The midwife actually laughed at me and said 'giving birth' when I asked if there was anything else I could do!! And some crazy person thought it would be fine to move into a home with only a shower so silly me has just tried the soaps and anti itch washes. Think I May book in tommorow to see her before I completely lose my marbles :(
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry. My sister had this and she was absolutely miserable. I think the only thing she could do was take Benadryl, cortisone cream, apply something frozen like a cold pack, and I think she even tried rubbing oatmeal on her belly. It went away immediately after giving birth, so I hope you have the same instant relief.

If it's really bad, I would talk to your doctor about being induced at 39 weeks. PUPPS is not something that you should have to endure longer than you have to, and 39 weeks is a perfectly acceptable time for induction. Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • caybehcaybeh member
    I have it and got it at 35 weeks. I'm at 37 weeks now. I put on hydrocortisone cream three times a day and have taken Benadryl at night. So far, mine has just stayed on my stomach. I feel ya and hope you find some relief soon. My MW told me that she could prescribe me some stronger creams if needed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• Thanks for the suggestions :) going to go in today hopefully. Had 4 hours sleep and was waking up every half hour having nightmares about bugs biting my stomach. Was awful! As horrible as it sounds I am SO glad I am not the only one with it because it feels like it! I'm sure my partner thinks I'm making up stories :p
  • My best friend had what they thought was PUPPPS (turned out to be a rare combination of things). The rash traveled all over her body (exept the face) her skin actually turned purple!!!  They induced her at 37 weeks.  Baby was fine...she was not (is OK now)!

Sorry you are going though this, I know she was MISERABLE!!!! 

• I had PUPPPS my last pregnancy. Currently at 37+4 now and while I do have an odd itchy rash on my elbows, thighs and arms it is definitely NOT as bad as when I had PUPPPS last time so I'm not sure what's going on.
    I have done so much research on this and what seems to help the most is Pine Tar soap and dandelion root capsules. Cold ice packs on the itchy areas soothe it the most. Hydrocortisone cream did nothing for me, even the 2.5% stuff from my doc. I really think this type of rash needs to be dried out.
    I was crying to be induced too last time but my hospital doesn't induce until you're actually post dates. It sucked. Mine ended up going away a week after labor.
  • Omgosh purple! So happy she was induced!! Mm I've been looking for the capsules at health food shops but cannot seem to find any! The good news is if the steroid cream I am using does not work I can call and have an appointment to discuss being induced. So horrible they wouldn't induce you, it's such a distressing condition!! Mentally and physically. Mines spread to the worst spots making public appearances very awkward haha :)
  • Just lurking, but I saw this and had to comment because I had PUPPP when I was pregnant with DS.

I got it at 26w. I was so itchy and miserable. I searched the internet for suggestions on what would help. The pine tar soap did nothing but make me smell like a campfire. Hydrocortisone cream only helped for an hour so so.

The rash kept getting worse. By 30 weeks it had spread to 75% of my body. The red bumps had turned into huge blotches. When I brought it up to my ob he sent me to a dermatologist right after my appt.

The dermatologist told me I had PUPPP. She told me the only way to actually get rid of it was delivery. So I was stuck with this for another 10 weeks. I would never have been able to do that because it would keep getting worse.

The dermatologist ended up having to prescribe a cycle of prednisone because I still was almost 3 months from delivery.

Oral steroids are category c drugs which are not recommended for pregnancy, but the Dr said that the benefits outweighed the risks. Within an hour of taking the first dose, I felt a million times better. By the time I was done with the pack, the rash went away. It did come back about a week after that, but it was nothing like it was before.

After the medication, all I used was Sarna lotion (seriously, get this) and it was the only itch lotion that would make the itch stop.

I feel your pain (or itch), ladies. I hope you all find something that helps because PUPPP was absolute hell!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Just lurking, but I saw this and had to comment because I had PUPPP when I was pregnant with DS.

I got it at 26w. I was so itchy and miserable. I searched the internet for suggestions on what would help. The pine tar soap did nothing but make me smell like a campfire. Hydrocortisone cream only helped for an hour so so.

The rash kept getting worse. By 30 weeks it had spread to 75% of my body. The red bumps had turned into huge blotches. When I brought it up to my ob he sent me to a dermatologist right after my appt.

The dermatologist told me I had PUPPP. She told me the only way to actually get rid of it was delivery. So I was stuck with this for another 10 weeks. I would never have been able to do that because it would keep getting worse.

The dermatologist ended up having to prescribe a cycle of prednisone because I still was almost 3 months from delivery.

Oral steroids are category c drugs which are not recommended for pregnancy, but the Dr said that the benefits outweighed the risks. Within an hour of taking the first dose, I felt a million times better. By the time I was done with the pack, the rash went away. It did come back about a week after that, but it was nothing like it was before.

After the medication, all I used was Sarna lotion (seriously, get this) and it was the only itch lotion that would make the itch stop.

I feel your pain (or itch), ladies. I hope you all find something that helps because PUPPP was absolute hell!

I'm off to see the midwife today so I will mention the oral steroids!! Thanks for the info! I honestly don't know how people go their whole pregnancy with it because it honestly is hell! And for some reason for me worse at night :( glad to hear you had some relief from it though :)
  • I just developed PUPPs the past week. At first, I thought my dog brought in fleas because I was covered with all these itchy little spots!

I don't know if you have access to the ocean, but holy moly.  I only slept 3 hours last night and I was just losing my mind, so I took my dog to the ocean today and squatted down in the waves so they got my whole belly... and my rash is so much better.  I'm sure it's not a magic cure, but I haven't itched AT ALL since my beach trip 2 hours ago. It's like better than sex.

I also read about Grandpa's Pine Tar soap, so I ordered that this morning (thank you, Amazon Prime). But try salt water baths if you can't get to the ocean!
  • BlemaroBlemaro member
    edited August 2014
    I'm not sure if you've had this cleared up yet but I've had awesome success with Dandelion root tea (4 cups a day, started out slowly with 1 cup/day).  You can get it at organic markets or the organic section of some regular grocery stores. I posted other suggestions in a more recent post about Pupps on this board.

Good luck, that belly looks soooooo itchy!!!!!!!

ETA: Sorry, just realized this post was from July :/
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Aloe Vera after sun gel works really well for me but nothing truly gives relief

It is miserable to have!!! I feel for ya
  • I also agree. The Grandpa's Pine tar Soap helped the most! It stinks to high heaven but it's the only thing that helped even a minor bit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"