2nd Trimester
Options

Family Traditions That I Don't Want to Carry On

My H's family has a couple of items that have become a bit a family tradition to pass on as new babies are born.  There is a bassinet that pretty much every member of the family has slept in (all the names are written on the bottom) and a rocking chair that my MIL seems intent be passed on.

I am actually excited about the bassinet though I am bit worried about finding a stand for it as it is over 60 years old, but the rocking chair is horribly uncomfortable and I really don't want to take it.  My SIL is 5 weeks behind me in her pregnancy and I feel kind of bad trying to convince my MIL that she should take the rocking chair seeing as my BIL and SIL have a tigher budget then us and less space (it is nice and small, which is why I think I find it so uncomfortable).  I don't want to unknowingly force my SIL in to taking something that she doesn't want either.

Any suggestions on how I can get out of taking the rocking chair if my SIL hates it as much as I do without breaking my MIL's heart?  I love her to pieces and really don't want to upset her but I also want to be comfortable in what will likely be where I am stuck sitting while feeding our LO.

Re: Family Traditions That I Don't Want to Carry On

• Options

Thanks ladies... the main reason I haven't talked to my SIL about this is because she is away right now with no net or cell access.  I don't want to commit her to taking the chair without talking to her about it first (my fingers are crossed that she wants it) but at the same time my MIL brings it up every time we are over there. 

So far I've diverted the issue by saying that I don't want to commit to taking it if it is something that my SIL might want but I know my MIL is really excited to pass along both items.  I've got a spot for the rocker if we do end up with it and I'm more than happy to explain why I don't have in the nursery.  At the end of the day I'm fretting over what-ifs that most likely won't come to light.

• Options
    MrsMuq said:
    A crib that's 20+ years old that hasn't been brought up to today's safety standards is NOT safe, SS. But, whatever. It's your kid's safety, not mine.
    This is something we're dealing with, too. MIL still has the crib she used with her babies. It's nearly 30 years old, and she was planning on using it with our LO. H is going to check it out and make some modifications (e.g. firmly attaching the sides since it's one of the dreaded drop-side cribs), and we offered to buy a new mattress for it. We're also going to measure the distance between the slats. If he doesn't comfortable with the quality of the crib, we're going to buy an extra Pack-n-Play or something and send it over.

image      image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

do you have a room you could put it in like a living room or something if she doesn't want it?  If you have already bought a rocker for the room, it could go somewhere else....just a thought.

• Options
    StacyA339 said:
    /shrug My husband and I are fine with it. He always wanted to name a son William and I always wanted 2 kids. We both "give up" something and get something we want. lol.
    If we both had our ways completely, I wouldn't be naming a son William but we'd only be having one kid... so I'm very happy with this decision. It's not like we fought about it, we discussed it like mature adults. Those of you who are married probably know that marriage is all about compromises- both small and big ones! :)
    I'm all for compromise, and H comes from a family where there are naming traditions for boys, too. If we have a boy (we are team green), his middle name will be H's first name, and his last name will be our surname. H and I are struggling to agree on a first name, but I have made it clear that I want to be a part of choosing our baby's first name since H was responsible for the middle and last names. Do you truly despise William as you originally said, or did you maybe just not care for it very much? If it's not a very important issue for you, then feel free to stick with the name your ILs chose.

But keep in mind that you may not end up having a second. I know plenty of people who were unable to conceive a second baby after having no problems with the first, and it seems like an awfully big risk to me to just assume that I would be able to name baby #2 since I didn't have a say in baby #1's name. Just something to consider.

image      image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh my lord this thread. Word to the wise ladies.  If you are going to rant about how you want to kill your offsprings name with fire and then catch a major case of the butthurts when people rightfully get all, "dats fucked up bro".   STFU and keep that shit to yourself! 
  • Options
     As an older mom (43, kids are 21 through 10 yo) I don't understand why people save old baby stuff for so long! First of all, stuff wears out. And rots away in storage (especially clothing). After I had my kids, I gave away everything that wasn't wore out-I figured I'd rather see it get used. I mean I have a box of 'special outfits' but not everyday use stuff.

Except, the crib, only because it folded and was easy to store. But now it's recalled and since the manufacturer is out of business the cpsc says 'destroy'. I did break off  wheel on it. Plus my 21 year old has declared that HIS future children wont be sleeping in it at my house. So, I'm getting a new one-they're less than $150.I should have given it away 10 years ago lol.
  • Options
    So, I haven't been using the bump in the months since I registered, and suddenly I'm very glad. From what I've read in just this thread, most of you seem to lack a fundamental grasp of how a discussion works. Newsflash: in a discussion - and in LIFE - just because someone's opinions/practices differ from yours does not make them wrong. The fact that the majority of you spend your time on forums attacking people who live and think differently than you makes me truly sad and fearful for the cultivation of the young minds you are responsible for shaping. I, however, won't allow my pregnancy concerns and practices to fuel your smug rantings stemming from inadequacy issues. I think I'll stick with Google for my questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"