Trouble TTC
Options

Exercise and IUI

Hi Ladies! I'm going in for an IUI tomorrow..and I was of course googling about exercise before and after an iui. I started working out 3-4 times a week with a trainer...and I typically do it at 5:30am. I am scheduled to go tomorrow and then an iui at 10:30. There are mixed feelings on google about working out before and after an IUI and I didn't even think to ask my doctor about it!
Opinions/ experiences!?!?

***SIGGY WARNING***

me: 28 - all test normal
DH: 33 - SA normal

*unexplained*

TTC since September 2011
2011-Oct.2013 - trying off and on, ob/gyn, no meds
November 2013-December-EOD, ob/gyn, no meds

January 2014- ob/gyn ordered Clomid (50 mg) unmonitored, EOD-BFN
February-Clomid 50 mg. unmontiored, EOD - BFN
March-Switched to RE
April- 100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel-BFN
May - 100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel-BFN
June-*BREAK/Switch RE*
July- 5 mg Femara/Ovidrel + IUI #1- BFN
August- 5 mg Femara/Ovidrel + IUI #2 - BFP!!!!

EDD: May 7th, 2015: Team PINK

Re: Exercise and IUI

• Options
    This is not actually advice (as I know nothing about it) but I would personally skip the day just so I wouldn't have to wonder if I caused any issue! But I can't imagine how it could be a problem,
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Options
    Before going through the struggles of TTC I would say I was obsessed with getting my workouts in, now I'd say take it easy that day and even the following day.
    Married 07/15/2006 DS # 1&2 born 07/06/2007 TTC# 3 since 10/2013
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ask the RE. Most doctors will tell you light exercise is fine.

Official diagnosis: Unexplained IF. I am 32. I have low ovarian reserve (low AMH), and poor egg quality. I've also been diagnosed with mild glandular developmental arrest (lining problems, detected with EFT).

We are using open ID donor sperm. IUIs #1-7=BFN. IVF September 2014 antagonist protocol, 8R,5M,3F, 5 day transfer of 1 morula = BFN. IVF#2 planned for January 2015 (antagonist protocol + HGH).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    My RE told me not to run (bummer - running used to be a huge stress relief for me!).  I've been walking, doing moderate intensity stair master, moderate weights and some yoga.  Like others said, I tell myself to just listen to my body and stop or slow down if I need to.  

On the day of IUI, I laid around and took it easy.  I actually got really sleepy in the middle of the day and took a 2 hour nap (which I never do!).  I did walk my dog that evening though.  I have this new fitness tracker (the Nike Fuelband) and I try to get in at least 10,000 steps/day  :)  I definitely took it easy on the day of IUI but I got in my 10,000!
    **Formerly EastBayBride508**

Me 34   Him 33

Me - Left salpingo-oophorectomy at 19 due to large cyst/torsion  and 2 large uterine fibroids found at age 30
    Him - Borderline low sperm count (correcting through Fertility Blend supplement)

Married 8/20/2011
    TTC #1 since Jan 2013
    First appointment with RE 10/2013.  
    April 2014 - Clomid 100mg CD3-7.  HCG shot CD10 IUI #1 done on 4/12/14 (CD12) ....BFN
    May 2014 - Break cycle to repeat saline sonogram and re-group.  Travel to Kauai 5/7-5/12 (Yay!!)
    June 2014 - Clomid 150mg CD4-8.  HCG shot CD14.  IUI#2 done on 6/9 and 6/10 (CD15-16) w/ Prometrium suppositories during TWW .... BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 150mg CD3-7.  Ultrasound CD12 - 4 mature follies! HCG trigger shot CD12 AM.  IUI#3 on CD13 w/ Prometrium suppositories during TWW ....BFN
    July 2014 - Repeat ultrasound done to measure size of fibroid - 8x9cm (the size of a grapefruit!) Surgery referral made.
    August 2014 - MRI done which revealed 2 fibroids: a 13x15cm fibroid as well as an 8x7cm one.  Super freak out mode over surgery plan.  OB-GYN/surgeon said surgery would most likely have to be a laparotomy (open abdominal surgery)
    August 2014 - After a 2nd opinion, plan to take Lupron x 2 months to shrink fibroids then laparoscopic/robotic myomectomy.  Surgery date is set for Nov 21st!  
    November 2014 - Robotic myomectomy done (2 large fibroids removed, mild endo found).  Benched x 3 months

PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    Rumbera28 said:

The only time that I had to ease up on exercise was when my ovaries were enlarged from overstimming.    I was told that exercise is good, but  'if it hurts or feels uncomfortable, STOP'.

Exactly this for me

4 Losses (2003, 2008, Apr 2012, & Oct 2012)
    All RPL and IF testing with multiple REs = normal

5 IUIs = BFN

All AL are welcome
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    My doctor said I could go about my day like any other day.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• Options
    Neither my RE nor anyone else at my clinic has ever said anything about this. I just lay there the standard 10 mins after an IUI and they tell me to be on my way. 

I personally feel better laying low afterwards (my acupuncturist said the same) but she didn't strongly urge me not to either. Your workout is before, so maybe it helps with blood flow and what not?

Tried for two years, finally a BFP!
  • Options
    I usually am pretty crampy and somewhat emotionally drained, so I would vote for staying home. However, I think as long as you're up to it, it wouldn't hurt. My RE specifically didn't give any exercise restrictions for an IUI cycle.
    **siggy warning**  **everyone welcome**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    DS- 11.07.02
    DSS- 6.26.04
    Married- 6.29.13
    TTC Again- Sept. 2013
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Test Results/Diagnosis- HSG & SA totally normal
    DX: 3/2014 Prolactinoma/Hyperprolactinemia- Started cabergoline 2/2014
    5/2014 Possible mild PCOS in addition to hyperprolactinemia??
    7/2014 Adding probable tubal factor to the diagnosis list
    9/2014 And now adding hypothyroid to the list- Started synthroid 9/2014
    Cycles 1-4 - Sept.-March- All Anovulatory 
    IUI #1 March/April-  Clomid 50mg + Clomid 100mg +Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN
     IUI #2 April/May-Clomid 100mg + Clomid 150mg + Trigger + IUI #2 + Endometrin=BFN
    IUI #3- June- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3  Benched due to a 40 mm cyst. :-(
    IUI #3- July- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP! on 7/25/14
    Slowly rising betas - Ectopic suspected on 8/8/14 & confirmed on 8/11/14
    Methotrexate on 8/12/14 -HCG negative on 9/2/14
    IVF #1- November- Antagonist protocol: 11/1: start stims, 200iu of Follistim; 11/12 ER 17R/14M/14F; 11/17 5 day transfer of two blasts, 2 blasts and 2 expanding morulas frozen; 11/22 BFP!! (On FRER at 5dp5dt)
    Betas: 9dp5dt 205, 11dp5dt 497, 14dp5dt 1,709
    u/s at 5w0d- 1 sac; u/s at 6w0d 1 baby with heartbeat, another sac without a heartbeat

• Options
    Thanks ladies...I guess I was most concerned with working out before the iui. I decided to opt out of today's workout and probably tomorrow's too! Looking forward to vegging out and relaxing after this IUI!

***SIGGY WARNING***

me: 28 - all test normal
    DH: 33 - SA normal

*unexplained*

TTC since September 2011
    2011-Oct.2013 - trying off and on, ob/gyn, no meds
    November 2013-December-EOD, ob/gyn, no meds

January 2014- ob/gyn ordered Clomid (50 mg) unmonitored, EOD-BFN
    February-Clomid 50 mg. unmontiored, EOD - BFN
    March-Switched to RE
    April- 100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel-BFN
    May - 100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel-BFN
    June-*BREAK/Switch RE*
    July- 5 mg Femara/Ovidrel + IUI #1- BFN
    August- 5 mg Femara/Ovidrel + IUI #2 - BFP!!!!

EDD: May 7th, 2015: Team PINK

• Options
    I go for a light run or walk every morning, which my doctor has no issues with. I think it's okay to still work out but maybe do light exercise like yoga, runs and walks. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    Sha259Sha259 member
    I also discuss my workout regimen regularly with my RE to determine if and when I may need to cut back or stop. When we were doing IUIs, I actually never had to cut back, even on IUI day. But I was more cautious and listened to my body (But you should always do this, whether TTC or not). The only time that I had to skip my workout was when I had my first IVF cycle converted to IUI. I have more egg then, and ovulation was a killer! I had never felt ovulation cramps so hard. Needless to say, I skipped the gym that night, but I was right as rain by the next day. Talk to your RE about your concerns, and always, always, listen to your body.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"