September 2013 Moms

One tooth wider than the other?

DD cut her first bottom tooth a month or so ago and it's fully erupted and looks so cute. She started to cut her second front tooth about a week ago and although it just cut through, it looks as if it's wider than the other. At first I thought it was coming in crooked but now that it's fully cut, it's not crooked but it definitely looks wider than the other. Anyone else? Is this something I would take up with her ped or can they go to a dentist this young?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 1.5.13 - EDD 9.5.13 - Ysabella Sofia born 9.12.13
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: One tooth wider than the other?

• DS1 has this, it is a fused tooth, it happens every so often (don't know the stats), two baby teeth can fuse and come out together, it can mean that your DD is missing an adult tooth, or more commonly, when her adult teeth come in the fused tooth will fall out and two will come in in it's place. There is actually nothing a dentist can do, if you really want to find out they can xray to see if she has both  adult teeth, but whether she does or not, there isn't anything that can be done, I guess if there is only one and there is a gap in the adult teeth, they might need braces, but other than that it's nothing to worry about it. If you are worried, just mention it to the dentist at your appointment, if they are anything like mine, they will take a look and tell you what  I just did.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

• @NNGnome Thank you so much for your information! I actually called my local ped dentist and talked to them. They told me exactly what you just did. They said it happens to 1 out of every 100,000 babies, crazy! They mentioned it may just be a large tooth but that's unlikely considering her other bottom tooth is normal size. The one I'm talking about actually looks like a fused tooth (looked up pics on Google). They said exactly what you did - there's nothing that can be done since teeth are formed in utero. They said if I want - I can get her looked at to confirm that's what it is. Is it extremely noticeable with your DS? I worry about her being made fun of as she gets older. It doesn't look extremely different, just a wider tooth. Hers is on the bottom. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 1.5.13 - EDD 9.5.13 - Ysabella Sofia born 9.12.13
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • smilingeyes2308  No problem, I was really worried about it too, DS1's tooth is on the bottom too, it is his left front tooth, I was worried about it being noticed, but honestly once all the other teeth come in it is hardly noticeable, so much so that I even forget about it, especially being a bottom tooth, it kind of hides under the lips more. Most people I tell say they never noticed, even when he only had two teeth

I don't think other kids will notice, and by the time kids are worried about looks, her adult teeth will be in anyway, and it's very unlikely that she is missing the adult tooth :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"