March 2014 Moms
Options

Temperature at night

Turtle15SWTurtle15SW member
edited July 2014 in March 2014 Moms
So, my husband and I fight about this constantly. He runs hot and keeps the temperature around 71. Fine. But, he also is turning fans on in every room. We put our LO to bed after a bath and her hair is often still a little damp when I rock her to sleep. I've explained that while a room may seem hot to him, comfortable and not cool or hot is best and the ceiling fan shouldn't be on. So, what temp do you keep the house at for your LO? Do you run a ceiling fan in the nursery? Am I nuts and babies run warm when sleeping?

Re: Temperature at night

• Options
    vacsx2vacsx2 member
    We fight about this as well. We keep his room at 70, but if I had my way it would be 68, per the anti-SIDS recommendation. I read that in baby411.
  • Options
    I hadn't read that before...so I need eat a little crow and keep the fan on. Very helpful, thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    AlikiAliki member
    I didn't know we were supposed to keep the room that cool! 68!??!?! Really? The only link I could find was this:

Which said it wasn't so much the warm temperatures that was the issue, but rather that caregivers put "extra blankets" on the baby.

It also said that the room should be whatever is "comfortable for adults" so this is vague.... I'm very coldblooded and grew up in the tropics, so 80 is perfectly comfortable for me, and going down to 75 means I'm wearing a cardigan...

We only turn the A/C on when temperatures outside is over 82 degrees, and if we do it, I only set it to 78. If not, just crack the window open and hope for a breeze... so LO sleeps in a room between 76 - 78.

Out of curiosity, what did you keep the room at during wintertime? Is it also 70/72?? In the wintertime, we heat the house to 68, but I know some Americans heat it all the way up to 80...
    TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yeah, husband sets the thermostat/AC to 68ish. Her room is riiiight next to the swamp cooler vent. She sleeps in a onesie with a blanket wrapped around her, and another on top of that one. She sleeps like a rock though! Her little limbs are chilly in the morning but she wakes up so happy! It works for us!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our house is freezing at night Colton wakes up in the AM with ice cold hands. He wears a long sleeve footed sleeper and has a blanket tucked around him.
  • Options
    I never thought we'd have the warm house! Our AC is set at 75. LO sleeps in footie pajamas and a cotton sleep sack. Our neighbors keep their house warmer, and their baby only wears a diaper under the sleep sack. We don't have a fan in the nursery, but when LO slept in our room, the ceiling fan was on. It would cost a fortune to cool our house to 68. It was 105 outside here today.
  • Options
    We have fans going all of the time since we only have a wall air conditioner and it's in the living room and only cools the corner that it is in. LO had always slept with a fan. Currently she sleeps in a onesie with a muslin swaddle.
  • Options
    We have central air and keep the house at 78, and we turn on the ceiling fans. LO sleeps in a footed, long sleeve pj and a onesie underneath, he sleeps in his crib, no blanket or anything else. My husband gets very hot and he'd prefer it to be colder but it's expensive if we make it lower, I on the other hand like the warm weather and I feel cold in this setting, usually I sleep with a thick blanket haha.

• Options
    MH bumps our air up to 75 at night, but there is something wrong with our heating/cooling, it never feels like the temperature it says it is.  We keep LOs ceiling fan on at night per SIDS recommendations, and the lowest setting is still pretty fast so it's probably more like 70 or 71 in her room.  She often has cold hands and feet (even under her footy jams) but she sleeps great and doesn't seem to mind.  She sleeps in either a long sleeve cotton (or fleece if it's a rare cooler night) footy jam or a onesie and a swaddle blanket.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Options
    We have not let LO sleep in his crib yet since we do not have a ceiling fan. we just bought one so there is some circulation in his room. He likes it cold. 70 or 69 with a fan on high as well.

• Options
    @DisneyAddict1‌ I'm in central CA. Your winter temps sound more like LA or San Diego to me - it's cooler and foggier here.
  • Options
    We put the thermostat at 72 for the evenings and added a fan to LO's nursery, as well.  I sleep better with a cooler temp and so do the girls - DH complains of "freezing" in the morning, but whatevs!

SIDS prevention guidelines that I read indicated a sleeping temp between 68 and 72, with a fan of some sort for moving/circulating air.  Then dress LO for comfort, typically one layer more than you wear.  I tend to sleep in PJ bottoms and a tank, so I put LO in a long sleeve onesie under a sleep sack or swaddle blanket.
  • Options
    we started with the heat on at 68 when we came home since it snowed the day lo was born! he slept in a sleep-n-play with a swaddle sack over it. now with it being hot, we keep the house at 71 and lo sleeps in just the sleep-n-play. (the long sleeve with footies type.) lo's hands and feet feel cold when he wakes up, but he sleeps like a rock so I don't want to add any layers. I don't know what I'd add anyway...he moves around way too much for me to put him in any kind of sleep sack and blankets aren't safe.

• Options
    we keep the house around 73 day and night. As is our electric bill is about 200 a month. She wears pants, socks and onesie during the day usually and long sleave onesie and socks with her swaddle blanket at night.
  • Options
    We keep the house really cool too at night. LO and DH run really hot so it's a must. LO sleeps in a light, white Gerber onsie and his Halo sleep sack. Anything more than that and he starts sweating. 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"