School-Aged Children

Talk to me about school lunches (and am intro)

Hi I am just returning to the bump after a long time and looking for a new place to ask questions. So here I am! lol 

DS has been in preschool for years it feels like and is going to be starting kindergarten in the fall. Is there any great ways to prepare him for having lunch at school? Should I be worried about it? I feel like I am totally over thinking it. 

Also, how do you handle the whole all day thing vs half day? 
Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Talk to me about school lunches (and am intro)

• MNgirl326MNgirl326 member
    edited July 2014

There should be an open house night before school starts. Take her there and let her see the cafeteria and practice sitting at the tables. Also the first day of school the teacher will take the class on a tour and show them where the lunch room is and they will practice going through the line and what to do if they are bringing their own. Where to put the lunch boxes, sit, etc. if she is getting lunch there they will also have a system for the kids PIN numbers.

As for other preparing at home. Practice at home. Either with a lunch box or set up a tray (cookie sheet) and have her practice getting stuff and carrying it on the tray.

Finally there are amazing books out there regarding starting school. Tip Toe into kindergarten cones to mind. They show all the different elements of school and explain them for kids. Either hit up Barnes and noble (they always have big back to school displays with tons of books) or talk to the librarian.

Oh and chances are if it's full day there will be a snack time. Find out if you need to provide it for her or if the teacher provides. If you provide make sure she knows it's snack and not lunch Take a deep breath and relax. She will do fine. She may or may not eat a ton on the first couple days and that is pretty normal. She will get the hang of it all quickly.

ETA- added paragraphs  to make easier to read 

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• DS has said he wants to bring his lunch, so I plan to let him pick a lunchbox and choose some favorite lunch foods for the first week. I like the idea of letting him practice with his lunchbox at home. I am sure he will mostly do whatever he sees other kids doing, and he knows to ask teachers if he needs help.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • MNgirl said exactly what I would have said.  I actually didn't let DD buy lunch the first few weeks, just so she could get into the routine of where to sit, how fast to eat, and just basically learning the routine.  When you buy lunch you have a little less time to eat since you are standing in line to actually get your lunch as opposed to just sitting down and eating right away. 

The 2 weeks before school started I actually packed her lunch in her lunch box (at home), had her practice opening everything on her own and worked on her "timing" of eating.  Lunch goes by fast at school and chatting with your friends sometimes gets in the way of eating.

As for snack, DD had an afternoon snack because lunch was early in the day.  I packed her snack separately from her lunch so she knew what to eat and when.. 
    DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • DS was in all day camp the summer before kindergarten so he was used to bringing his lunch.  He loved the idea of bringing his lunch in a lunchbox.  Maybe having your DS be involved in picking out his lunchbox and backpack will help as well.  I also waited a few weeks into school before we let him buy lunch just to get the routine down.

My DS went to an all day kindergarten.  It is definitely an adjustment and he was tired everyday after I picked him up.  I don't have any specific advice for the transition except be prepared to make adjustments afterschool and into the evening..maybe an earlier bedtime if he is more tired, snacks rights afterschool, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks guys! I am trying to not over think it, but I also want him to be prepared. I am going to try the whole unpack a lunch at home idea. Thanks! :) 
    Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
    Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• When my DD was in K, it was still 1/2 day where I live.  By the time my son started, it was full day.  I found full day to be fine.  However, my son has a late birthday, and I did decide to keep him in preschool for an add'l year of pre-K, because I knew he was not ready.

As far as school lunches go, I just packed lunch for both of my kids to pack for the first month, so they could get used to the hectic pace of eating in the cafeteria.  After a month of getting their feet under them, I allowed them to choose to buy.  In my kids' schools, the lunches are small, pretty gross, and pretty expensive.  Despite that, both of them liked to occasionally buy in the primary grades because it was new and fun.  

Eventually, they both decided that homemade lunches are more filling and taste better.  And it's not like I pack anything fancy.  Lunch for my kids is always a sandwich, a piece of fruit, and cut up veggies.  You have to know your kid, but both of my kids could only handle a 1/2 sandwich in K.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"