August 2014 Moms
Options

Group B strep test…you're gonna do whaaaaat?

Re: Group B strep test…you're gonna do whaaaaat?

• Options
    I have my 36 W appointment in an hour. The doctor never tells me what's in store for me in advance, so I am glad I am reading this thread because I was wondering when that test would be. I'd just like to be a little... prepared. =P

DD: 8/20/14; DS: 11/13/16; DD: 5/3/19; DD: 8/31/21; Baby #5 (team green) due 3/24/24

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ewersin said:
    I have my 36 W appointment in an hour. The doctor never tells me what's in store for me in advance, so I am glad I am reading this thread because I was wondering when that test would be. I'd just like to be a little... prepared. =P
    Haha good luck! The nurse usually tells me whats going to happen at my next appointment if its going to be different from the current one, so she did tell me they would start my internal checks and test for it last week at my 35 week appt. but I never even thought to look it up and see what they actually did during this test! Lol

After 6 losses, we are so happy to have our rainbow baby!

• Options
    My doctor mentioned to me last time that I would be getting this next time, and she only mentioned a vaginal swab.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    My doc told me I'd get this at my 36 week appointment, but surprised me today by doing it. Q-tip in the vag and quick swipe of the rectum. Overall not bad at all. He did however do an internal exam today and that was not fun.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Phew! had mine this morning, vaginal only

image    image
  • Options
    Hmm I've had the swab done once before (not sure why) and it was just vaginal... I'm glad y'all warned me!
  • Options
    They let patients swab themselves at our hospital, the midwife told me studies have shown patients get just as accurate of a sample as a doctor would, so why torture you more than we need to, we'll be up in your business enough as is ;)

It was a welcome thing as I did have to be violated by my OB last time, way better to just DIY!
  • Options

Mine was both areas and external only. I was negative with my first pregnancy, but I'm positive this time.

That stinks :( I think I've read it can change though...is that right?

I was told that, but they won't retest me so ill get antibiotics during labor.

• Options

I had mine today. No warning/notice ... I was a little embarassed at how ungroomed I must be down there. Ugh. I guess doctors see it all.

I honestly had no idea she swabbed the rectum too ... this doesn't surprise me because I feel like I'm so swollen down there that I'd barely feel anything!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I had mine at 35th week. My results were positive, which means as soon as my water breaks I have to go to the hospital since I have to take anti-biotics. Did anyone get their results yet?
  • Options
    I had mine today. No rectal swabbing for me.
    \:D/

DD: 8/20/14; DS: 11/13/16; DD: 5/3/19; DD: 8/31/21; Baby #5 (team green) due 3/24/24

• Options
    sujana22 said:

I had mine at 35th week. My results were positive, which means as soon as my water breaks I have to go to the hospital since I have to take anti-biotics. Did anyone get their results yet?

Yep, I'm negative.
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DS Grayson (3yrs) (Emergency Csec)
    imageDS Camden (1yr) (All natural Vbac)
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I had mine this week. My obgyn took two swabs. Maybe one was the rectum. I don't even know. I was too tired and not feeling well anyway to notice. This test is nothing compared to giving birth. All modesty goes out the window.
  • Options
    tamarar5tamarar5 member
    edited July 2014
    Elbug said:

trawas01 said:

Jentech84 said:

Yea I get the joy of it this week :(
    My mw said I do it myself in the carb room across the hall. Great.

Doing it on your own isn't bad at all. No worse then putting a tampon in.

I wouldn't be as coordinated at the rectal swab part.... I don't usually swab my own asshole @trawas01  ;)

I have a hard enough time reaching my own asshole... ;)
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    sujana22 said:

Yeah I am positive too my OB said they want me to have two rounds of antibiotics 6 hours apart during labor.

• Options
    tamarar5 said:

Elbug said:

trawas01 said:

Jentech84 said:

Yea I get the joy of it this week :(
    My mw said I do it myself in the carb room across the hall. Great.

Doing it on your own isn't bad at all. No worse then putting a tampon in.

I wouldn't be as coordinated at the rectal swab part.... I don't usually swab my own asshole @trawas01  ;)

I have a hard enough time reaching my own asshole... ;)

Amen to that!!! I feel like it would be easier to just hose my ass off every time I go because reaching it is seriously a joke. Lol

• Options
    It's just a swab AROUND those areas. Not inside! I found it to be nothing more then what a regular pap would be, just add a little touch to your anus. No big deal.
  • Options
    It's just a swab AROUND those areas. Not inside! I found it to be nothing more then what a regular pap would be, just add a little touch to your anus. No big deal.
    I think it all depends on the doctor as we can see from other comments. I wish mine was only around. Mine was inside both areas. Some got lucky with it only being around but some not so much.

• Options
    So. Had my swab today. And I had to do it myself. AWKWARD! I wasn't joking when I said I had a hard time even reaching my ass, but then to do it with a prickly qtip?

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    tamarar5 said:
    So. Had my swab today. And I had to do it myself. AWKWARD! I wasn't joking when I said I had a hard time even reaching my ass, but then to do it with a prickly qtip?
    I would have told them they were nuts to think I could do such acrobatics at this stage of the game. Lmao!

• Options

tamarar5 said:

I would have told them they were nuts to think I could do such acrobatics at this stage of the game. Lmao!

Lol! Wish I would have thought about that! I mean, I wasn't skinny before I got pregnant, so the extra weight has only shortened my reach anywhere!

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    tamarar5 said:
    tamarar5 said:
    Lol! Wish I would have thought about that! I mean, I wasn't skinny before I got pregnant, so the extra weight has only shortened my reach anywhere!
    Did they at least give you a series of stragetically placed mirrors?  I can barely pee into the specimin cup without covering both my hands entirely in urine...so that doesn't sound very doable. 
  • Options
    I verified that at the next appointment, it's a vaginal swab that extends to the rectum (but not inside of it) so yeah- fun fun!
  • Options
    kaypec90 said:
    Yes! Like other PPs have said, GET THE TEST! MH and I are both 27, which I guess is the time just before they started regularly testing moms for this. When my MIL delivered, it was a long drawn out delivery and MH actually contracted Strep B, and had Meningitis. He actually almost died. It's so easy to test for and treat. We can do this ;)
    The same thing happened to my H! It's less painful to get a quick swab than to have a deathly sick baby!
    I'm surprised to hear this. I'm 36 and my siblings are all 30+ and my mom was tested for Group B for all of us (I know because mom was positive each pregnancy and got the antibiotics). Maybe it had to do with the area of the country or the particular hospital? Interesting.
  • Options
    I was asked to do my own today with the instruction of ~1 inch in both vag and rectum. I had a moment of panic when I couldn't figure out how to get the rectum one (obviously can't see, am not used to putting anything back there) but managed and no one had to see my completely ungroomed mess down there.
  • Options

Mine was like this, very much like a pap but with a gentle caress of the butthole on the way out. Frankly I was more surprised by how deep the vaginal swab went. I'm pretty sure it was a cervical swab, like @funnibunni80 said. Felt just like a pap.
  • Options
    I just had mine and it was vaginal only
  • Options
    SkadiiSkadii member
    Is this a test everyone gets? I've never heard of it. What week did you get it?
    I'd never heard of it either, I had to look it up. Apparently its not done where I live, because its not particularly reliable. Apparently.
    Mentions of children in signature

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Actually just got mine today--which I didn't know would be happening, so that's fun! lol I'm 35 weeks. My friend told me about this, so I knew what was coming. The dr was slick though, she laid me back, got me into a conversation and while she was talking just BAM swiped and left. I think the shock of not knowing it was happening RIGHT NOW is what got me more. And then we both laughed haha It wasn't painful or anything, took 2 seconds. In the booty and out.
    Then she proceeded to give me my first cervical. From what I heard and read from others, this was likely to be super uncomfy and a bit painful. It wasn't bad at all! I think I dislike pap's more simply because she is in there longer! lol
  • Options
    I'm scared.  :|

And trying to decide if I should try and clean up the playground before my appointment on Thursday, or leave it an unholy mess.  And, if I clean up the playground, should I also clean up the back 9 as well? 

I shouldn't have opened this thread.  Ignorance is bliss!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Mother to 16 year old Austin (MCJROTC Sgt., Trumpet playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Air Force Pilot!)
    Proud Stepmother to 12 year old Josh (Baseball playing, Saxophone playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Doctor!)
    Proud Mother to baby Kaylee (Stuffed toy playing, Adorable smiling baby and hopeful Rodeo Princess!)

• Options
    I'm scared.  :|

And trying to decide if I should try and clean up the playground before my appointment on Thursday, or leave it an unholy mess.  And, if I clean up the playground, should I also clean up the back 9 as well? 

I shouldn't have opened this thread.  Ignorance is bliss!!!
    Since I walked into my appointment today not knowing all of this was going to happen, obviously no cleaning up took place this morning lol Although, I can't hardly reach under my big ol belly to do any cleanup anyway. My first thought when the nurse told me this was happening was "oh God, I'm a mess!" And then I realized that in a few short weeks, the dr is going to see my nether regions in its most messy state possible--and she's seen many others. In comparison to that, my "mess" is probably looking pretty good haha
    I wouldn't worry about the test or grooming. Its over so fast you won't even know it.
  • Options
    Anyone get their results back? Mine was unfortunately positive :( I know its just IV antibiotics in L&D but it still sucks!

• Options
    Yes everone gets it. Im 36 week pregnent and i had it done this week. With my first one the doctor did it for me but with this pregnancy the doctor asked me if i want to do it my self and explained how to do it.
  • Options
    I had mine at my 36 week appt. She did not enter the rectum, just swiped it, I barely felt it. And I barely felt the vaginal swab.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
  • Options
    I lucked out because i tested positive during a urine sample at like 13 weeks. So I automatically was treated then with antibiotics and will automatically get IV antibiotics at delivery. So no swabs for me. Hooray!
  • Options
    micmash said:

I lucked out because i tested positive during a urine sample at like 13 weeks. So I automatically was treated then with antibiotics and will automatically get IV antibiotics at delivery. So no swabs for me. Hooray!

They can do that? Was it a fluke? Why don't they always test GBS this was? :)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    I had my test on Monday... Easy peasy and my results are negative.
  • Options
    Lol at this thread. My midwife took me into the bathroom today to give me the instructions, swirl the cutip around the inside of vagina, about an inch, then the perineum and rectum. I laughed a little and she said, "yeah, the butthole. Don't hurt yourself" hahaha Glad I got to do it myself this time around.
    blighted ovum 5w3d 10/11
    Aidan Russell 8/7/12
    missed m/c 8w6d 11/1/13
    Shane Ryan 8/25/14
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"