Trouble TTC

Move from IUI to IVF?

Morning everyone,

Hubs and I, spent most of this weekend (our 1st wedding anniversary!) discussing the pros/cons of changing our plan from and IUI cycle to IVF. A bunch of you know I had Lymphoma last year, and am now in remission (YAY!) We were scheduled to begin our IUI cycle last week, but with a 4.5 uterine lining, my RE said I need to do Estrogen patches for a week/2 before injections can begin. Him and my oncologist speak regularly about the concerns that she has about pumping extra estrogen into my body with the high likelihood that cancer could return. 

We are fortunate to have 100% insurance coverage for IVF cycles, and have been discussing as to whether or not we should go straight into an IVF cycle instead. My oncologist would like for us to do the most aggressive approach so that I could spend hopefully less time on all of the Estrogen and the injectables. Granted, no one knows how long this will be as the chemo has completely screwed up my egg reserve and all of my levels. On Friday, my FSH was 19, and my estrogen was <.2. I am going to call my RE tomorrow and speak with my nurse about the possibility of changing to IVF. Hubs SA came back completely normal, thank goodness, so we are just really working with my issues, which they aren't really sure what will actually work. 

Has anyone gone straight to IVF, or had to convince their RE to not do an IUI first? I still have my Gonal-F and Ovidrel injections that I think are used for IVF also. I am such a newbie with all of this, that I am having a difficult time wrapping my head around what would be the best course of action to do. I hear so many different stories, that we are trying to figure out what would be best for my body! Thanks for your tips, or experiences. Happy Sunday ladies!

Re: Move from IUI to IVF?

• I moved to IVF after only 2 IUIs. Your rational makes perfect sense to me. When my RE went through the success rates for each, it was very eye-opening and IVF made sense for us. My RE has also been very clear that these are our decisions. While he of course makes recommendations for us, he leaves it up to us. Also, I wanted to suggest checking out some alternative therapies for your lining. Some people swear by acupuncture, pineapple core, and brazil nuts. Also, I wanted to suggest posting about your lining issue over on IF and you'll probably get more feedback. Good luck!
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• Thanks for the response! I have been doing SO MUCH pineapple core, I am surprised I haven't actually turned into a pineapple. I have been doing acupuncture for chemotherapy neuropathy too, and they have been working on infertility while I have been there. I have my fingers crossed for good news from my RE tomorrow. He is a very smart man, but always makes me feel uncomfortable when asking questions. Hopefully I don't feel like an idiot when I ask tomorrow, but we just want to know pros/cons. Thanks again!
  • Loading the player...
  • KT416KT416 member

We went to straight to IVF because we didn't qualify for IUI with my DH's sperm count.

The success rates for IVF are much higher than IUI and you may need to try a few IUI cycles for it to work, or may need to move to IVF anyway. I think a big reason why people start with IUI first is because it's a lot cheaper compared to IVF.

Your rationale makes perfect sense to me, and it's awesome that you have great insurance coverage. I would also go directly to IVF in your shoes. 

Every protocol is different but I did use gonal-f and I think a ovidrel or a similar brand. I haven't done an IUI so I'm not sure how many meds, but I used gonal-f every night until trigger, menopur every night until trigger starting on CD4 and then an antagonist the last few nights right before trigger, and then the trigger shot. You may have a little more meds during the cycle than IUI, but you have a much better chance of being done after one cycle.

Also, if a few eggs are fertilized and leftover, you have a chance to do FET, which actually have higher success rates (because your body gets a chance to relax from less meds) and is much cheaper with less meds.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Me: 29, DH: 30

Married: April, 2011; TTC: July, 2012

Dx: MFI; June '14 IVF w/ ICSI: 11R, 8M, 5F... 1 5dt, beta #1: 213, beta #2: 621, beta #3: 8545!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks everyone for your responses. I am anxiously waiting to call tomorrow and to hopefully persuade into a straight IVF cycle. Fingers and toes crossed he feels the same way!
  • I'm doing 1 IUI next month (unless by some miracle I got pregnant this month). I'm not wasting my time and $ on a bunch of IUIs at my age (38). If I was younger I would feel differently though.

TTC #1

Me: AMA, DH: MFI

Official DX - MFI due to Hemochromatosis

IVF #1 Nov. 2014 - ER 11/10 (10R 6M 6F) - ET 11/13 

3DT of 3 embies - no frosties - CP = BFFN!!!!

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• ash_16ash_16 member
    We decided to move onto IVF after only one IUI try, I just knew it in my gut that IUI would not work for us. Our doc said it was up to us what we wanted to do, it was our decision and how we felt. Hopefully they let you go right to IVF! FX
    ~~*~~ TTC our first little bundle of joy! ~~*~~ Me (25) DH (27) TTC #1 since March 2012 Trying to Conceive Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I am looking forward to calling tomorrow to see what he thinks. Otherwise, I still go on Weds for another bw/us and to begin Estrogen patches. I would probably still do the patches whether or not we start with IUI or IVF. 
  • We are also encouraged to go straight to ivf, for us because of age and dx. I fought it for awhile because we are 100% oop, however after failed iui cycles, we have decided to go for it later this year. That is amazing you are covered on it, good luck!
    Me: 40, Hypothyroidism, well managed, TSH 1.99
    DH: 44 Fine except for low morphology
    TTC since 02/2013  
    08/13: Day 3 tests (ESTRADIOL 20.8; AMH 1.1; FSH 6.2)
    12/13 HSG, all clear
    11/13-5/14 - IUIs #1-3, BFNs, 
    6/14 to present: Taking a break, getting healthier, researching IVF
    Planning for IVF in late summer 2015

• If you have IVF coverage, in your situation, I would go straight to IVF.  It's most likely to get you to your goal quickly and if your doctor is worried about the stim exposure, take it seriously and eliminate what you can.  
    I've done 3 IUIs and had that gut feeling from the beginning it wasn't going to work.  I went through the motions and I guess we learned a bit about how I responded.  But ultimately, I'm going to end up with IVF and I've spent probably $4k already that I wish I had used for IVF.  
  • That sounds like a great plan! It would be awesome to reduce the time you're on estrogen. I hope your RE's office is on board with what you decide. :)
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Thanks ladies, I will be calling promptly at 8:00 am. Can anyone tell me how to update the thread tomorrow, so that I can let y'all know what we decide? Sorry- such a newbie question!
  • I never did an IUI just TI on injectables. You can look at my signature and see getting pregnant wasn't my problem it's egg quality because I'm 40 now, I started treatments at 39. We did 2 cycles of which I got preg my second but it ended in a cp and that's when my RE decided IVF was my best option. I did do 1 more injectable cycle after that. I don't regret the cycles I did because my RE learned how I'd respond to the med. He upped my dose every time because I needed a lot for a better response. If I were in your shoes I'd go straight to IVF and I can't imagine h fighting you on this because of your history of cancer. Good luck!
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Hi everyone, just got off the phone with my nurse about converting from an IUI to IVF cycle. She said it was "a great idea with just one wrench in the plan" they are taking August off from IVFs to reconstruct the lab and will start again in September. So we are going to do our IUI in Aug and if it is unsuccessful we will go straight to IVF. She said everyone would be on board with that decision too. All in all, good news I think. Estrogen patches begin on Wednesday! Thanks for the sup
  • support. Sorry on mobile!
  • Great news! Good luck with your IUI!
    Me: +35 DH: +35
    TTC: Since January 2013 
    DX: PCOS. Severe Endometriosis, Unicornuate Uterus w/only left tube and left ovary, Pedunculated fibroid (on the outside of uterus) and Anovulation. All conditions diagnosed 8/13
    TX: Metformin
    DH DX: MFI - low morphology, low motility
    Ultrasound shows both kidneys in spite of UU. 
    HSG showed clear tube on the left side. 
    Lap Surgery performed 1/9/14 to remove fibroid and endo (Stage 3)
    • IUI# 1 June 2014 started 100 mg of Clomid - 7dpiui Progesterone: 13: BFN
    • IUI#2  July 2014 started 100 mg of Clomid - 7dpiui Progesterone: 5.75: BFN
    • Natural Cycle - so shocked to be in 2WW - 7dpo Progesterone: 15.5: BFN
    • Working with new RE starting injectables in late August.
    • IUI #3 August 2014  w/ Menopur: BFN
    • Finally ovulating on my own!!
    Waiting to start IVF hopefully
    **********All Are Welcome**************
    3T January Siggy Challenge: New Year's Resolution

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"