December 2014 Moms
Options

Toddler having surgery today *updated* 1st post

AnonnAniAnonnAni member
edited July 2014 in December 2014 Moms
My son is having hid tonsils and adenoids out today, in 4 hours actually and I'm a total wreck. Dh had to work to try to split the 2week recovery period with me with out hurting our PTO time at work that we need for maternity and paternity leave so I'm on my own today. And tonight actually since DS has to stay at the hospital and someone needs ro stay with DD at home...I have never been more on edge in my life! Has anyone had a child that had this surgery? If so is rhe recovery very hard? Generally DS doesn't complain when sick, he is just extra clingy, but don't think that will be the case here, kinda don't know what to expect in terms of actual pain for him.
*update*
He was out in about 20 minutes but freaked out waking up and me not being there so they had to bring me into the OR to get in bed with him which calmed him down.  Then he had some oxygen issues so we stayed in the icu for a bit but are currently in his room watching movies.  
Thanks immensely for keeping me sane and occupied!!!!!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Baby #1 7/16/10
Baby #2 11/14/12 
Baby #3 12/11/14
Baby #4  3/30/17
Baby #5 2/28/19 
Baby #6 Miscarriage
Baby #7 7/3/22
Naturally with PCOS

Re: Toddler having surgery today *updated* 1st post

• Options
    I'm sorry for your baby :( I hope his recovery is quick!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry, this sounds rough :(  The only thing DS has had to do is have tubes put in, which was no big deal.  They gave him some calming/"happy" medicine right before and he was fine when they took them back.  

One of my friends sons had this surgery and I think he had a good bit of pain afterwards.  I would make sure the hospital gives him plenty of Popsicles and maybe bring some stuff to distract him.  And make sure they stay on top of giving him his pain medicine.  I hope it goes well and that he recovers quickly!  I'm guessing if he's having surgery, he's had problems with his tonsils/adenoids and hopefully this rough period will make him feel better in the long run.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Positive thoughts coming your way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Krisx2Krisx2 member
    edited July 2014

DD had surgery on her back when she was 20 months old. I was scared, but we have one of the best children's hospitals in the area. The staff was really comforting and made DD less anxious. The worst part for us was recovery. It required one week of strict no movement bed rest and then another week of only light activity to prevent her from tearing the sutures. Keeping a 20 month old still is really difficult. But we managed and the incision healed well.

She also had hydrocodone for pain medication. It made her VERY constipated. I'm not sure about adenoid surgery, but if you use the pain meds make sure you have some sort of laxative on hand (mirilax/pedialax worked well) and have lots of fluids. We fed her a lot of popsicles and Gatorade for a while. DD will have another surgery this October.

Good luck with everything and T&P that he has a quick recovery!!

Mio Marito per Sempre: Married 2009. SD is 12 yrs. DD is 4 yrs.

DS born 12/29/14

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    My son had his tonsils out when he was about 18 months old (I was pregnant with #3 at the time). We had to literally force feed water every 10 minutes so he wouldn't eat dehydrated and end up back in the hospital. After day 7 it's a piece of cake jut make sure to keep him hydrated any way you can they really really don't want to drink.

Also be VERY careful, I threw out my back and ended up spending a week out of work in bed not able to move after he recovered because he wanted to be held and carried everywhere. Its hard to say no but just be careful how you do it, being pregnant and throwing out your back is awful. Good luck to you, just try to stay as calm as you can.
  • Options
    Eora3Eora3 member
    edited July 2014
    My husband had this surgery a couple years ago. It is supposedly harder on adults than kids (that is what his doc told him anyway).

His doctor used the lazer and there weren't any stitches or anything. He was a little sore for a couple days but he didn't even use the pain medicine they have him. BTW: my DH is a total baby about being sick or in pain, so I know it was a totally easy recovery. Lol

Edited to add: Good luck to your little one. I hope it is a super fast and easy recovery.
  • Options
    My 2 year old daughter is having the same surgery next Friday. I'll be praying for you guys today. Keep us posted on how he's doing.

And good luck with the hospital stay. I hope you can both get some rest tonight.
                                   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    JCM285JCM285 member
    I'm really sorry your DS needs surgery.  Sending you T&Ps!
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

• Options
    I hope all goes well.
  • Options
    Prayers to you and your son.
  • Options
    I definitely will stay on top of the pain meds cuz the last thing I wanna see is him in pain. I might someone if thats the case! @docterworm222 hope your dd does well nwxt week
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS

• Options
    @""chayshay1408 "‌ my son snores as well and like snorts like he is catching his breath so they think its because he doesn't breathe so well with the big tonsils.
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS

• Options
    No advice, just lots of hugs and we'll wishes.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options

Wishing you luck on the surgery.  DD had tubes put in at 1.5 (not major surgery) but she did great and didn't even cry until she saw us lol.

I had them done at 5 I remember my throat being sore mostly but that was it.  Luckily, you get to eat a lot of popsicles (doc's orders even!) and cold drinks.  I was pretty much good to go after leaving the hospital in 2 days.  Took a week to fully heal.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    They took him in esrly!!!! I needed the other hours to prepare but st least I didn't break down in the ORthough I did I the bathroom.
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS

• Options
    I'm hope it goes really well and he has an easy recovery!
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Options
    kboyetkboyet member
    edited July 2014
    They say the younger you have it done the quicker the recovery. One of my nieces had it done and she was back to herself in no time. The first couple days are rough, though.

EDT: typo
  • Options
    DS has this surgery when he was 5. Everything went well during surgery, recovery in hospital was good. He was a star when he got home too! I would just give you babe lots and lots of Popsicles to keep him hydrated! Plus it'll feel good on him throat! Keep his laying low for as long as possible :) lots of movies and snuggle time with mommy! You'll do great! I know it's scary but try and remember kids heal quickly :)
  • Options
    Stay strong - I'm sure he'll be just fine.  I haven't had to send a child to surgery, so I certainly don't know what that's like.  But I did have that exact surgery when I was 4 (so, a little older than yours probably).  In an effort not to sugar coat it, I'll just say that I actually have vivid memories of the week following, even though I was so young - it was rough.  But my understanding is that having this surgery as a young child is better than as a teen or an adult - I've heard kids bounce back much easier.  

Good luck - sending positive vibes your way.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Options
    Sending positive thoughts for a successful surgery and a quick recovery! Stay strong!

BabyFruit Ticker}

Lots of love TBBFF lobosabby!! Always rooting for the TTGP girls

My Chart

• Options
    Hope he has a quick recovery. 

• Options
    My nephew was 4 when he had his taken out because they were affecting his speech and breathing. My sister just babied him and snuggled. He bounced back quick. When my sister had hers taken out last year as well she had a much slower recovery. Biggest thing is hydration and love. My sister got dehydrated after surgery she ended up back in the hospital.
  • Options
    Also I hope things go smoothly and quick. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Options
    AnonnAni said:
    I definitely will stay on top of the pain meds cuz the last thing I wanna see is him in pain. I might someone if thats the case! @docterworm222 hope your dd does well nwxt week
    Thanks! I'll be watching for updates on your son's recovery. I hope it goes well.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    After the initial OR freak out so far he is doing great wih the pain and seems more concerned with wanting the IV out than his miuth. But does not wanna drink at all so I can see that will be a battles
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS

• Options
    mcr957mcr957 member
    Glad to hear that all went well. Sending prayers for a speedy recovery! 

In loving memory of Baby Hufflepuff and all of D14's Angel Babies

imageimage
  • Options
    Glad hes out and you guys are together! I'm sending positive vibes your way for a speedy recovery.

• Options
    They actually just came in to talk about discharge tomorrow and said the pain may be worst tomorrow or rhe next day not lookong forward to that at all, here I was thinking today was the hump we had to get over
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards