Babies on the Brain

Help! Pregnancy Terrifies Me!

I'm turning 30 next month, and after YEARS of not wanting kids, I think I've changed my mind. But the idea of being pregnant and labor terrifies me! Any suggestions for overcoming this fear? I realize that women have been giving birth for 100s of years, but that isn't really helpful...

Re: Help! Pregnancy Terrifies Me!

• Educate yourself and accept that you can't control everything. You might have a super-easy pregnancy or a really tough pregnancy, all you can do is take care of what is in your sphere of influence - eating well, exercising, taking your vitamins, spending quality time with your support system, etc.  You may really enjoy being pregnant, try to have an open mind.

As far as labor you can read books and take classes to become more comfortable with the whole process.  If you're really nervous perhaps consider a doula or just make sure to have a super-supportive labor support person or persons.  

If you TRULY know that you do want a baby then there are lots of things you can do to get more comfortable with the process.  I think the more important thing is to make sure that you are ready to be a parent.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Try and read positive stories about pregnancy and labor and delivery. I absolutely loved being pregnant. The thought of the miracle growing inside me and actually getting to feel my baby move is amazing. I was terrified of labor but I look back on it with great memories. I found that I am stronger than I ever knew. My pregnancy and labor was relatively easy, though, and I know everyone doesn't have a similar experience. Even if it sucks, just remember it will pass and before you know it you'll be holding that sweet baby in your arms, totally in love and totally sleep deprived, just wishing you could stick her back in there for 20 minutes so you could take a nap ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • It's definitely terrifying to dive into the crazy world of pregnancy. I personally was not one of those some who loved being pregnant, but giving birth was one of the most empowering things I've ever done. For years, I was terrified of giving birth. After I went through it (I had a relatively easy {albeit long} labor) I felt like I could do absolutely anything. 

Like the PP's said, educate yourself, don't let people tell you their horror stories, and focus on the outcome. 
    imageimage imageimage
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • MandJS said:
    Others gave you great advice. I'll just add, pregnancy and child birth still terrify me to some degree, and I'm on my 3rd round. I think being scared is normal. Just ... educate yourself and trust that your body was actually designed to do this.
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH your ticker!!!! Threadjacking for congrats!! :)
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • I'm turning 30 next month, and after YEARS of not wanting kids, I think I've changed my mind. But the idea of being pregnant and labor terrifies me! Any suggestions for overcoming this fear? I realize that women have been giving birth for 100s of years, but that isn't really helpful...

I am SO in the same boat! One day I think we should start TTC right now, then last night I was in tears because I didn't think we had enough time/ accomplished all our pre-baby goals. We weren't going to have kids and then my bio-clock came back with a vengeance on my birthday (March) this year. As for the physical part of it, watching The Business of Being Born and the 4 mini episodes after it (it's on Netflix) was a HUGE help (we want a natural birth). Even my DH seemed so much more confident and empowered after watching them with me. Hope it helps!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Started Dating Jan 2004Married Sept 2009. TTC Aug 2014.

BFP 10.30.14!!

• Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement! We're going to go for it. I like to overthink things, and nothing will ever be perfect or sunshine and rainbows. And my biological clock is in high gear right now, so I'm going to give in to my desires  :)
  • I realize that women have been giving birth for 100s of years

LOL this part
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"