Trouble TTC
Options

No Sex Prior to HSG?

Does anyone know why this is required?  In the instructions write-up from my RE for my HSG, it says that no sex is allowed from menses until 2 days after the hSG.  From the time that DH had to abstain for his SA (and I had my CD3 ultrasound) and now my HSG, it's adding up to almost 2 weeks.  Were all of you given the same instructions?  I was just curious on the reasoning.  We are typically pretty frequent, so this is a long stretch!

Re: No Sex Prior to HSG?

• Options
    I believe the days before are because they don't want you to potentially conceive prior to the test. The days after are to avoid increased risk of infection (from what I understand). Good luck!
    TTC #2 since 2011 (took 1.5 years to conceive spontaneously after multiple failed clomid cycles and 1 failed clomid +IUI)
    Me- PCOS, borderline hypothyroid
    Him- low concentration/count

Feb 2014- started acupuncture
    Feb 2014- BFP
    March 2014- m/c @ 5 weeks
    May 2014- HSG, all clear, started Synthroid, Femara 5mg CD 3-7 + trigger + TI= BFN
    Waiting for new RE appointment end of July 2014

• Options
    FLgirl812FLgirl812 member
    edited July 2014

I've heard various instructions from different physicians and friends, but mine was no sex "a few days" prior and "a few days" after. I think the after part seems to be more based on your comfort level. GL!

Edit: I agree with the above, the days after are for infection control as well. Didn't think of that bc mine was more for comfort as I was put on antibiotics for that reason already. :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The infection side makes sense for the after.  I was wondering if the before was due to possible pregnancy, but considering that it will be on CD8 for me, I didn't think that would be correct.  But, I guess that just want to cover all of their bases.  Thanks for your insight!  HSG will be Wednesday.
  • Options
    GL! Let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    We were told no sex prior because of the chance of pregnancy. Funny enough we are doing the hsg because we can not get pregnant. We weren't told to hold off after though.
    Me: 26 (IC/PCOS-2000mg of Metformin daily)

June 2014- HSG=clear

DH: 27 (SA results were great minus the slightly low morphology)
    Started dating DH in 2002 at 14 years old
    Married on 03.01.2014
    Officially TTC since April 2014 
    January 2013- Surprise BFP, m/c at 6 weeks, D&C 2 Weeks later
    April 2014- First RE appointment
    July 2014- IUI#1-Canx due to scar tissue and polyps. TI with the help of Ovidrel. BFN

August 2014- Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue and polyp

September 2014- IUI #1.1-100mg Clomid, Ovideral, 11.5 million swimmers=BFP

EDD-6/3/15- Our sweet baby Ryan was born on 1/6/15 and is in the arms of an Angel

Dx with IC on 1/6/15

• Options
    Yes it is because of the chance of pregnancy. They just don't want to take any chances, but it is funny that the reason we are usually having the procedure is bc we can't get pregnant.

TTC #1

Me: AMA, DH: MFI

Official DX - MFI due to Hemochromatosis

IVF #1 Nov. 2014 - ER 11/10 (10R 6M 6F) - ET 11/13 

3DT of 3 embies - no frosties - CP = BFFN!!!!

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• Options
    I was only told no sex after for two days. They take a urine test right before the HSG to ensure you're not pregnant so I don't see why you'd have to abstain from sex. It would be negligent for them to just tell you don't have sex bc you mighty get pregnant and then take your word for it before the procedure ;)
  • Options
    It would be too early for a urine test to show positive.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• Options
    I asked since I have mine most likely next week and they didn't say no sex before. I agree with others about after though. I may double-check with my RE but I remember asking before and they said it was okay to have sex before. Good luck!
    ***********siggy warning **********

Me: 26 DH: 27
    TTC #1 Since Aug. 2013
    Cycle 1: O CD 25=bfn
    Cycle 2: O CD 48=bfn
    Cycle 3: Anovulatory/Provera =120 days!
    Cycle 4: Anovulatory/Prometrium=127 days! RE consult 6/16
    Me: Anov/poss. pcos?  HSG=normal/SA= Normal 
    July/Aug. 2014= Femara+trigger+TI=BFP!!
    Beta #1@ 16dpo=626!! Beta #2=1510
    Ultrasound @ 5w6d=heartbeat at 110!
    Ultrasound @ 6w6d =heartbeat at 131!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    You're right @Hollowvic‌ - but I also don't think an HSG can hurt at that point of a pregnancy either. I could be wrong though. My RE said sex before the HSG was fine and only advised against it for 1-2 days after the procedure.
  • Options
    mindaamindaa member
    edited July 2014
    I wasn't instructed to abstain - instead I was prescribed antibiotics (because of the risk of infection) and took a pregnancy test right before the procedure (which yeah, seems sorta silly, but as Cupcake said, it covers their a$$ more effectively than taking your word that you haven't DTD).
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    Thanks for all of the insight!  We bought some condoms because we figured it was a due to the chance of pregnancy.  But, wow, it is not the same! lol  We'll just abstain from now until we are cleared.  
  • Options
    Pintobean39Pintobean39 member
    edited July 2014
    They told me if we had sex from cd1 until time of HSG they wouldn't do it. I was told this over and over again. I was on pelvic rest for the month before from a D&C and the whole pregnancy I was on pelvic rest so at that time we hadn't had sex for almost 3 months. I never asked why but I assumed it was because they don't want you to be pregnant. I'd imagine flushing the dye through your tubes can't be good if you possibly could be having and embryo growing.

ETA: after the HSG we had what we call fuck fest 2013 :-)
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    They told me if we had sex from cd1 until time of HSG they wouldn't do it. I was told this over and over again. I was on pelvic rest for the month before from a D&C and the whole pregnancy I was on pelvic rest so at that time we hadn't had sex for almost 3 months. I never asked why but I assumed it was because they don't want you to be pregnant. I'd imagine flushing the dye through your tubes can't be good if you possibly could be having and embryo growing. ETA: after the HSG we had what we call fuck fest 2013 :-)
    Oh, wow Pinto, that must have been rough!  And I agree, it makes sense to just be safe.  It could be much worse.
  • Options
    We were told to feel free to do whatever before and after - a nurse specifically said, "We swab the cervix anyways." I thought perhaps I should wait a bit (and I did!) because of pain and infection risk. I guess our office was just really sure we weren't going to get pregnant naturally? Or maybe just because they saw I've always O'ed relatively late. I guess, maybe it's a good sign if your RE thinks you guys might get pregnant through BDing! :)
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Options
    @cupcake122‌ I'm surprised your RE didn't tell you no sex before HSG. Yes it can absolutely hurt a pregnancy at that point. It's a rare occurrence but you don't want to take the chance. I guess all REs are different.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• Options
    @Hollowvic‌ as I'm thinking about it more, maybe he didn't care bc I don't O. so he knew the chances of me getting pregnant naturally were practically nonexistent.
    I guess that's the only good thing about having multiple IF problems LOL
  • Options
    @cupcake122 there must have been a reason why he didn't tell you to abstain. At least there's a silver lining lol

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• Options
    I just had mine today.  My doctor said use protection between period starting and the HSG to make sure there is no sperm in the vagina. She said If there were sperm it could be pushed up during the procedure and possible cause ectopic pregnancy.  She said no sex 24 hours before and after to reduce risk of infection.  

We had used protection anyway during the last cycle before HSG bc I was on three rounds of diflucan.  
  • Options
    I had an HSG last week - the only instructions they gave me were to take 800 mg of ibuprofen to help with cramping!
    Me: 31 | DH: 37
    Married January 12, 2013
    TTC since July 2013
    Fertility Treatments January 2014 - June 2015
    Took a break to prepare for IVF
    Surprise BFP - September 2015 - MMC at 6 weeks, 5 days
    Another surprise BFP - November 2015 - EDD: July 8th! 

• Options
    Oh, and when we went to use protection it was very expired. I had to laugh.  Haven't used condoms in three years.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"