High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

short cervix and bed rest?

This is my 3rd pregnancy. I went in for my 18 week u\s last week and was told that I have a short cervix and may be put on bed rest or other precautions may be taken. I didn't know it was possible to have a shorten cervix for only 1 pregnancy. I didn't have this with either of my other children so I'm a little confused. I go back this week for a follow up u/s to verify what the original tech saw. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Re: short cervix and bed rest?

• Options
    I didn't have a shirt cervix with my first but was put on bed rest at 16 weeks this pregnancy for a short/funneling cervix. I am currently 25w4d and my cervix is now long and closed. (Been on bed rest the entire time) I hope you get great news when you go back but if you do get placed on bed rest, stick to it. It's easy to get tempted to get up and do small things but it's not worth the risk.
    DS born 7/5/2001
    Married DH 2010
    TTC since 2010
    8 IUI and 2 IVF cycles
    BFP - TWINS! - Lost twin A at 17w5d 
    Still pregnant with Twin B!!!! Due 10/16/2014
    Hospital bed rest 5/10-7/20
    William born at 27 weeks and 3 days

• Options
    mle5dmle5d member

I'm 29 weeks pregnant with my 2nd, (both singletons), and am currently being watched for short cervix. No bed rest yet, but basically pelvic rest and light duty (easier said than done when you have a 2 year old!). So it is possible...hopefully yours doesn't get any worse!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    A shortened cervix in later pregnancies is actually more common than in the first pg.  In the first pg, your cervix is brand new.  Over successive pregnancies, the cervix must stretch during delivery and starts to weaken.  As a result, it shortens more easily during pg.

You're still in the time frame for an emergency cerclage, so be prepared to discuss this option with your doctor after the follow-up u/s. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage
    BFP #1 - 01/12/12, EDD 09/12/12, Medical Induction @ 21 weeks 05/03/12
    BFP #2 - 10/30/12, EDD 07/04/13, Natural m/c @ 5 weeks 11/01/12
    BFP #3 - 02/07/13, EDD 10/12/13
    Dx: Incompotent Cervix

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I hope it shows your cervix lengthens.
  • Options
    I am 24 weeks pregnant at the beginning of my pregnacy I was advised I had a short cervix I was put on bed rest for 3 weeks and discussed my options and had a cerclage payment done so far everything good just want to have a healthy baby good luck and hope everything works out for you explore your options
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"