October 2014 Moms
Options

Skip those annual vaginal exams?

Emerald27Emerald27 member
edited July 2014 in October 2014 Moms
This popped up in my Facebook newsfeed this morning:

https://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/no-more-torture-in-stirrups/article19432228/?service=mobile

Not only does it say that annual vaginal exams are no longer recommended for women without symptoms, but there's mention within the post regarding the benefit, or suggested lack thereof, of breast self-exams (which I thought you were still supposed to do monthly).

Now, I am 26 years old, have only once visited a GYN for a reason other than a BFP, and have had exactly two Pap smears (both at those first OB appts). But not because I don't think they're good things...just because it's not something I think about or thought about during college and soon thereafter when settling in a new place.

I thought this article might make for some good discussion. What do you think? Planning to cancel your annual GYN visits from here on out, forgetting about breast self exams, and now getting that pap every 3 years?
imageimage

Re: Skip those annual vaginal exams?

• Options
    My midwife only recommended a Pap smear for me once every 3 years. However I still went in for a yearly checkup before this BFP.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I still think it is important, particularly if you change sexual partners between visits. There have been a few times that my doctor has found potential problems (HPV - which caused me to get a cryotherapy to get rid of it, and I have a pretty large cyst the doctor is shocked doesn't cause me any discomfort, but he likes to keep an eye on it).

I am also shocked they think the monthly breast exams aren't worth it. Anyone who has lost a loved one to breast cancer probably wishes their loved one had caught it earlier and may have had more chance of survival.

I think managing your health is so important. It is going to catch up to you one day. So I will confine to to each year. I also go to my dentist semiannually and a general physician annually. I think I owe it to my husband and our future baby to take good care of myself and my health.
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Standard is 3 years now I believe
  • Options
    If you have ever had a positive HPV pap you still have to get annual if not biannual paps.

I will still go. Not only is it covered by insurance but for me I would rather take an hour or two a year to make sure all looks good.
  • Options
    I dislike the tone of this article that all doctors are out to bill you or order random tests just for fun. I have never met a doctor like that.  I think preventative health care is important. I don't consider a pap to be an "indignity". Sometimes people are ill with no symptoms and annual well check ups can catch problems early so they can be corrected and sometimes prevented from becoming worse. 

I will continue to go for my yearly exam and do my infrequent breast self exam because I believe it is important to be aware of what is going on with my body.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've never gotten an annual pap... I think I've had two in my life as well (one at the beginning of this pregnancy). But I also have only slept with my husband. My doctor told me a few years ago that there was no reason for a healthy, monogamous woman to get one every year.

That said, the breast exam surprises me. Breast cancer is too prevalent to not do something so simple to catch it. I think that's just being mindful of your body.
  • Options
    My OB office goes by the every three years rule. Which is fine by me! Paps hurt like a b. (At least for me they do)
  • Options
    Leysin97Leysin97 member
    edited July 2014
    I think the annual PAP is extremely important because of the HPV virus. From one visit to the next (within a few months) I had cells that rapidly changed and needed surgery immediately. I had had years of normal paps and then one year it just popped up. I had to get checked again 3 months later because I was supposed to be going overseas for a few years (which didn't end up happening because of this). Instead I immediately needed surgery to remove the potentially cancerous cells. It was a good thing that they did remove the because according to my doctor if they did not I would of had cervical cancer. Therefore if I did not have that scheduled yearly visit and had waited another 2 years it would have been too late.   Now I guess if you have been vaccinated for HPV that can make a difference. 

Edit: I had no symptoms prior to finding this out. So, without the PAP I would not have known.
  • Options
    With a history of ovarian cancer in my family, I wouldn't skip them.

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    As long as my insurance covers them yearly, I'll do them. I'd rather catch something early than be totally caught off guard and SOL by something that could have been easily treated if it had been caught earlier.

This exactly
  • Options
    I had one done after BFP and they will need to finish it once I deliver. Other then that I still try to make it in yearly. Just so you and the doctor can be on the same page.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Leysin97 said:

I think the annual PAP is extremely important because of the HPV virus. From one visit to the next (within a few months) I had cells that rapidly changed and needed surgery immediately. I had had years of normal paps and then one year it just popped up. I had to get checked again 3 months later because I was supposed to be going overseas for a few years (which didn't end up happening because of this). Instead I immediately needed surgery to remove the potentially cancerous cells. It was a good thing that they did remove the because according to my doctor if they did not I would of had cervical cancer. Therefore if I did not have that scheduled yearly visit and had waited another 2 years it would have been too late.   Now I guess if you have been vaccinated for HPV that can make a difference. 

Edit: I had no symptoms prior to finding this out. So, without the PAP I would not have known.
    This was my sister as well and she was in her early twenties.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    JessAnnJJessAnnJ member
    edited July 2014
    I will continue to do them every year as long as my insurance pays.

I also get tested for STDs regularly even though I have been in a 11 year monogamous relationship. I trust DH 100% but I don't see any reason not to get tested. I'm sure there are women out there that also trusted their DHs that ended up with unexpected STDs.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Not a fan of the tone or language in this article.

I was under the impression most of this is old news since ACOG updated guidelines over a year ago.  My OB implemented the updated pap guidelines immediately upon release, though she does prefer to conduct a quick annual exam even when a pap is not performed.  ETA: Just saw the ACOG vs. ACP guidelines; I would defer to ACOG over ACP.

Breast exams, eh, my ob doesn't like when I obsess over them, but she does prefer that I conduct them at the same time in my cycle every month so that I keep the same point of reference.  She has sent me for breast ultrasounds multiple times, but that's mainly because I had a breast reduction in my teens and when I first started self exams I kept thinking scar tissue was a lump. 
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    I lost my favorite aunt to cancer. She hadn't been to the doctor in years because she had "no symptoms." By the time she had symptoms, her body was literally being eaten by cancer, which started out as ovarian. I miss her like crazy and this article really rubbed me the wrong way. I've had Pap smears yearly since 18 and while I don't love them (um, who does?) they make me feel like I have at least some control over my health "down there."
  • Options
    Before I got pregnant I had a pap done with abnormal results. I was schedule for a colposcopy but I got pregnant. This is my second pap with abnormal cells and there were more of them this time. Doc said I will have check up with a colposcopy after my 6 weeks postpartum.

I believe they are necessary. Especially, with women who have cervical/ovarian cancers in their families and same goes with the breast exams. I think it's worth the time spent.
    DD born August 17, 2010
    DS born October 13, 2014
    Baby #3 due March 2018

• Options
    My Dr.'s office follows the 3 year rule, but they also do a pap at the initial pre-natal appointment and the 2 month pp appointment, and I believe it's because of the crazy things that hormones can do to cancer cells.  Honestly, my annual physical is really not a big deal.

I also think self breast exams are very important, so you have a frame of reference for possible changes.  I'll also throw out there, that your significant others and DHs should also be doing monthly self-testicle exams.  DH, who I swear does a daily testicle exam, found a tiny lump on his testicle 3 years ago.  The Dr. couldn't feel anything out of the ordinary, but he ordered an ultrasound because my DH was able to say, "no, this was not there before."  His primary care dr. and the team of dr.'s that handled his subsequent surgeries for his cancer are still amazed that he was able to detect a tumor that small.
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"