Potty Training

Potty training 2.5 yr old boy .. Have questions

I am starting to potty train DS. He is holding his pee for longer periods of time and is telling me when he pees/ poops in his diaper/ pull up(not all of the time but often). Anyways, so we have started putting underwear on him at home and having him tell us when he has to go. Some days are great and others not so great. The problem is when we go out and about and put a pull up on him. He treats these as if they are a diaper and tells us he went in his pants too late. At what point do we forget the pull ups and go straight to underwear in public? I feel like at this rate if we keep switching back and forth he will just continue to pee in his pull up. FWIW, I have the thicker training pants and a plastic diaper cover so if he does per in his pants in public it won't be a huge mess but I don't want to embarrass him either. Same with bedtime... He just pees in his diaper and tells me when it is too late. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Potty training 2.5 yr old boy .. Have questions

• *LrCg**LrCg* member
    I never did pull ups I just went straight to undwrwear. I think you already know the solution to your problem ;)
  • We just started potty training DS (he will be 3 in September) and we went straight to underwear. No pull ups. I always bring clean underwear, shirt and shorts wherever we go just in case he has an accident. 

I feel like he should have an accident in public and maybe that way he'll understand that he should be telling you when he needs to go. Good luck. PTing is tough!

our one and only *

DS - 2011

• Loading the player...
  • We've started potty training DS1 and he will being three is October. We are doing just underwear, no pull ups. My question is, what do you do at night? Diaper? Pull up? Wet the bed?. He will get up shortly after laying down and play the " I need to pee pee" card but it's mostly just a ploy to not go to sleep.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I've never potty trained a toddler (we are going to be potty training DD as of the first week of August), but all of my friends who have potty trained their kids have said that it's best to just go right for the underwear and not look back. Accidents are going to happen when you're out, so you just need to pack a lot of changes of underwear/clothes, stick a garbage bag or towel on the bottom of the car seat, just try to prepare for accidents outside the house the best you can.

For DD, as it stands right now, if she wets herself when she doesn't have a diaper on, she knows right away, or she'll hold it and tells us she has to go, but if she has a diaper on, she'll just go and not say anything. I think for DD, not having the diaper will be what helps her understand. The only time we will do pull-ups at first will be at nap-time, and once we have the other times of day down, we'll work on naps/overnight training.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"