September 2014 Moms
Options

Toxoplasmosis

Anyone have backyard chickens? I was catching mine to get them to a safer place during the hurricane (we are close to the obx) and it stirred up a bunch of dust I'm sure I inhaled. Is there a toxoplasmosis risk with chickens? Wondering if I should call my ob or if I'm stressing for no reason...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Toxoplasmosis

• Options
    They can be carriers. Do I personally think you should call your OB right away? No. I doubt there is anything that can be done unless you start having symptoms- flu-like, swollen lymph nodes, muscle aches.

I'm not a doctor though. If you're really concerned, call the OB.

Jess & Jason | DSS 8 | DSD 6
    VR 4/20/2013 | BFP 1/5/2014 | Baby Girl EDD 9/9/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Also, if you've had chickens or cats in your life you've most likely already been exposed to toxoplasmosis pre-pregnancy. The risk to your baby only comes if you are exposed to it for the first time while pregnant. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They can be carriers of that and histoplasmosis. Histoplasmosis is when the dust/chicken poop is stirred the spores you breathe in can contain a fungus. You know how long you were in there and how long you breathed it in, so it is your decision to make on calling the doctor. If it will give you peace of mind, especially before a hurricane comes then call. It never hurts to be overly cautious.
    I'm sure you know but the mom side of me is coming out, just make sure you washed your hands. Good luck, hope this helped.
  • Options
    It is possible to have contracted it but unlikely. It is much MUCH more common to contract taxoplasmosis from undercooked meat than from animals. I was very paranoid about it with my first pregnancy as I work closely with many types of animals. Bring it up with your OB at your next appointment.
  • Options
    I always wash my hands after feeding them and collecting eggs but I've never had the dust issue until today. I only have 4 hens so I wasn't in there long and I've had cats for as long as I can remember. I showered right after.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"