Pregnant after 35
Options

Question about genetic testing

OK, so my midwife gave me lab paperwork to have an AFP Tetra and CF Plus done between 16-18 wks (I am currently 12 wks).  Due to my age of 37 she also put in a referral to a perinatologist (sp?) for a Consult with U/S and Harmony Test.  She said I should hear from them around 20 wks.  Well, they contacted me already and want to see me at 16 wks due to the dr's VERY busy schedule that the nurse ponted out 3 times while on the phone.  I asked about the Harmony test and they said that the midwife should just order that to be done at the lab.  What is the difference with all these tests?  Then I keep hearing about an NT test and now I'm totally clueless.  Also, curious if anyone has had the Harmony test and did NOT want to know the sex.  I don't want to know and I'm afraid they'll spill. 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Question about genetic testing

• Options
    I had the Materniti21 test (similar to Harmony), and my doctor made sure to ask if I wanted to know before he revealed the sex. Tell them ahead of time if you don't want to know (the results should go to your OB/MW office).

The only other test I had done was for spina bifida, so I can't help with the others.

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

• Options
    THE NT Scan is usually done at around 12 weeks. It has a specific time frame and can't be done AFTER whaterver that time frame is...I think it is 13 weeks and some odd days. It basically measures the neck and combines it with your age and blood work. It then gives you a "risk factor" for Edwards Syndrome and Down Syndrome. 

It appears to have some "False positives" for some women, myself included.

Harmony, Panorama, Matern21, and Verifiy are all "free cell DNA" tests which basically check YOUR blood for DNA from the baby. Each test is slightly different, but all are extremely accurate. Anywhere from 90-99 percent accurate testing different syndromes.

These tests are non-invasive and pose no danger to baby as they are testing your blood. They can be done anytime after 10 weeks or so I believe. From what I can cell, some women who test TOO early get "inconclusive" results because not enough of the baby's blood is in the mom's blood at that point. I did mine at about 13 weeks and had no problem.

Hopethat helps.

for what it is worth, I would never do the NT scan again. It gave me an unnecessary scare. The Panorama test cleared me, but the NT scan lead to 3 weeks of pure panic on my part
    ===siggy warning====
    Me: 40, DH: 42
    Diagnosis: PCOS
    TTC: May 2013
    TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
    IVF #1 March 6. 14 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized. 
    March 11, 4 eggs transferred.
    March 21 BFP  :) Beta #1 457, Beta #2 1350, Beta #3 9619. 
    Due Date November 27, 2014
    TEAM BLUE

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    I had Panorama done, and I recall that the nurse asked me at the time of the blood draw if we wanted to know the sex. They shouldn't test for it if you don't want to know.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"