High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

A1C on the way down

This is my first pregnancy and I wasn't exactly in great control of my diabetes going in to it (was not planned) but after talking to my endo today I found out I've managed to get my A1C down 1.9% in a four weeks (from 9.8 to 7.9).  Still one of the highest A1C's I've had in a long time but at least it is making movement in the right direction. 

I'm still terrified that my control going in to this is going to have a negative impact on baby but fingers are crossed. 

Any advice from any of the other diabetic mommies out there on getting the A1C down?

Re: A1C on the way down

• Options

I'm 12 weeks

Pump with CGM.  I don't use the CGM too much though because while my other supplies are covered the sensors aren't.  I just upgraded my pump though so the new one came with a box of "free" sensors so I've been wearing one the last little bit.  Good news is my sugars are actually really stable between testing.  Overnight was by big worry but my second day in and everything is running fine

I've been testing close to 12 times a day up till now.  Sugars have been fairly stable with a bunch of lows (that is starting to even out now).  Luckily I've always been super sensitive to my lows so between testing all the time and that I usually catch them pretty quickly.

I am finding that if I don't bolus at least 10 mintues before meals I do spike a bit after eating which is new for me but that has been an easy enough adjustment to make.

• Options
    The very best thing I did to get my A1c down was to get a Dexcom CGM.  It has helped me tremendously - not only with alerting me to highs and lows, but for determining various patterns.  It's been amazing during pregnancy as my ability to feel lows has pretty much disappeared.  Perhaps your insurance would cover a CGM during pregnancy, especially since your A1c is a bit elevated?

My best advice is test and adjust, test and adjust, test and adjust. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

@missnacholover I really wish they would.  My insurance covers pumps but for whatever reason sensors for my CGM aren't covered no matter what.  I have the cash to buy them once and a while but it won't be something I'm wearing all the time over the course of the whole pregnancy.  Nevermind I start to get almost an allergic reaction to the copper in the sensor if I am wearing them continously for too long (I'm talking over the course of four or five sensor changes).  According to doctors it's nothing bad just a sensitivity to the metal.  Taking a break for a week or so after two or three changes fixes the issue

At the end of the day I'm not against doing a huge amount testing when I can't wear the CGM and so far so good. 

My A1C is still high enough that is has me totally stressed.  It was one of those situations where my husband and I had just started talking about getting ready to have a baby only to find out I was already pregnant (I was still on birth control at the time).  Seeing an A1C over 7.2% was enough to have me ready to die from shame then add finding out you are expecting to that... not fun!

• Options
    That sucks that they won't cover it.  :(  do you think if your doc wrote a note for medical necessity, it may help?

Also, FWIW, with my Dexcom sensors, I always get at least 2 weeks (sometimes closer to 3!) out of them.  So 3 months supply of sensors usually lasts me at least 6 weeks.

• Options
    That sucks that they won't cover it.  :(  do you think if your doc wrote a note for medical necessity, it may help?

Also, FWIW, with my Dexcom sensors, I always get at least 2 weeks (sometimes closer to 3!) out of them.  So 3 months supply of sensors usually lasts me at least 6 weeks.
    Good to know I'm not the only one who tries to extend it!  As long as it isn't falling off me, and is still accurate, I sometimes keep it in for 2 weeks.
    OP, the Dexcom sensor is what brought me from a1Cs of 7's down to 5's during pregnancy.  It really has changed my life for the better.  I'm so sorry your insurance is being difficult, and that you have an allergy.  Test, test, test, good luck!

<3

• Options
    kks4471 said:

Good to know I'm not the only one who tries to extend it!  As long as it isn't falling off me, and is still accurate, I sometimes keep it in for 2 weeks.
    OP, the Dexcom sensor is what brought me from a1Cs of 7's down to 5's during pregnancy.  It really has changed my life for the better.  I'm so sorry your insurance is being difficult, and that you have an allergy.  Test, test, test, good luck!
    I use OpSite FlexiFix and SkinTac to help extend the life!  I think the most I got was 29 days once.  :)

• Options
    I read a diabetic forecast magazine about diabetic pregnancy once and there was a story about a woman who didn't even know she had T1 until she was halfway through the pregnancy, and her baby was fine! I've had to remember that story every time my sugars would be up and down and stressing me out, because sometimes baby can be completely unscathed. :) hang in there mommy it sounds like you're doing great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"