Working Moms
Options

Pretty certain that new job is not a good fit- How long do I give it?

I apologize in advance for my whining lately. I have posted several times in the past few weeks about unhappiness with my new job change and looking in to switching careers altogether.
To make a long story short- I am in the third week of my new job and I am really just not happy. I feel like the culture is a bad fit and I also feel like they were dishonest with me upfront about flexibility with hours. I had several discussions with the hiring manager before I accepted the position about my need for flexibility. He assured me that this is a family friendly environment and they could be flexible. Now a few weeks in, flexibility means that you can come in at 8:30, but you have to stay until 5:30. period. I didn't hate my previous job, but the environment was becoming unstable due to budget cuts and there was a possibility that I would have to relocate to a different campus adding two hours on to my commute. I took this position as it is close to home and there was the promise of flexibility. I even took a slight cut in pay and dropped to hourly rather than salary. Let me clarify- my flexibility means sometimes coming in from 8:30- 5:00 or 8:00- 4:30. Not really a big deal.
Anyways, the lack of flexibility combined with the fact that I really just don't like the environment is getting me down. The actual job itself is something that I really enjoy and would probably stick with if other factors were different. I am in no position to just quit, nor would I do anything like that, but I am wondering how long I should give it? Should I start looking right away? Should I give it another month or so? Should I have a conversation with management? I don't want to stick in something that I'm not happy with, but I also recognize that I may need to give it more time. Any suggestions? And if I should just quit bitching and make the best out of the situation, you can tell me that to. I can take it :)

Re: Pretty certain that new job is not a good fit- How long do I give it?

• Options
    I can't remember if you've already said in your previous posts, but have you spoken directly with the person who told you the job allowed for flexibility?  What was their response to asking again about the flexibility options?

It seems like you are really, really unhappy.  Once you speak directly with the person who said flexibility was possible and if you don't get a positive response, I would start looking immediately.
                                                                                              BFP #1 3/2/12, T born 11/7/12
                                                                                                 BFP #2  7/2/14, CP 7/6/14
                                 BFP #3 8/28/14, MMC 10/2/14 @ 9wks - misoprostol 10/6/14, D&C 11/3/14 for retained tissue
                                       BFP #4 12/25/14, EDD 9/7/15 - please stick baby, you are so loved and wanted!!!!!                                                                                           

image  image                                                                      
  • Options
    I will likely be in the minority here, but my view is to go with your gut. If you think it's a poor fit, start looking right away. But, while you're looking, keep an open mind and see if your view changes as you settle in. I just think "fit" is a very personal thing, and after 3 weeks, you sort of know for sure the shoe is too small and rubbing blisters, if you don't mind the metaphor.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    tbumzlover- I had a conversation with him last week about how I need to come in at 8:30 on Wednesday for childcare reasons. He said sure- of course we can make it work. Just work until 5:30. It's like we have two completely different ideas of flexibility and I wish that I would have clarified in detail before I accepted the job. In the company policy, you are considered FT by working 32 hours a week, and I know that a few other folks in my position have this structure in place. It just seems to be the campus that I'm on- they really look down on anything less than 40 on the dot. I don't know how to bring it up in a constructive way either- I don't want to be the new girl that has only been here a few weeks and wants to work less.  
  • Options
    I'd start looking right away too. It may take awhile to find something else.

I do think this is a good point above about the definition of flexibility. They may have been thinking your 8hrs per day can happen at different times (within reason) and it sounds like you were thinking # of hours per week flexes as long as you get your work done. Definitely worth a conversation to figure out what they mean exactly by "flexible." But keep looking in the meantime!
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    And 40hours can be done in 8-4...most of the time you don't need an hour lunch! Or even 8-430 seems reasonable. Otherwise your working overtime.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yeh...my office is that way. But...a lot of people with kids have worked around that and asked to work through lunch. Its a thought.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    bethann3181bethann3181 member
    edited July 2014
    Several years ago, I had been in a new job for one month when I was traveling with a co-worker who screamed at me.  I was so shocked and distressed, and went back and talked to our manager about it.  I quickly learned that she screamed at all of her employees as well, and the co-worker was her budding prodigy.  I started looking right away, and left after 6 months.  No regrets.  

Go with your gut.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This is my first time posting on this particular board so first, hi.

Second - I would start looking right away.  When I first moved to DC, I called on my network of contacts and found a job I was able to start 3 days after arriving in new city.  I was very grateful to have a (paying) job - but I knew within weeks that it was not the right fit and that I was not happy.  I started looking instantly and ended up leaving that job after only 6 months.  MUCH happier now.

One thing to consider - what does your resume timeline look like?  Do you have a history of being in roles for less than 2 years?  Just keep in mind that you don't want to show a pattern of short term employment on your resume - that would most certainly be a red flag moving forward.

Good luck - maybe your next role will be the perfect fit.  It was for me!
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Options
    I agree with PP's above about talking with your manager. I feel like you need to do it sooner rather than later because otherwise you will develop more of a routine and it will be a harder barrier to potentially break down. You need to set your boundaries now as the new girl. 

Perhaps working through lunch is an option in order to leave earlier. Most days I work through my lunch and just bring a sandwich to eat at my desk real quick. I would work to set a schedule. Could you work 8:30-5:30 two days a week and then work 8:30-3:30 the other three days without a lunch. That would get you close to the 40 hours. Or perhaps you could take some work home---just be careful how much of that you do since you probably want to spend time with your LO's there at home in the first place. 

Above all else---I would start looking for another job immediately. If you move quickly enough, you could skip putting this job even on your resume in the long term. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    SoMoNYSoMoNY member
    If you get out asap you get the benefit of never having this on resume.
    If you stick it out another 6+ months you'll look like a job hopper to HR folks.

On the flip side, not sure why you thought they would be very flexible right from the start.  You've been there 3 weeks which means you are likly still learning their operations, now isn't the time to be coming and going as you please.  Perhaps once you have settled into the role there will be more flexibility on their end?

• Options
    Thank you everyone for the great responses. I realize that this is largely a mis-communication on MY part which I am willing to take responsibility for. Like a PP mentioned- there is a big difference between flexible hours and working less. In all of my conversations before accepting the job I talked about my family needs, my need to sometimes work shorter days (ie 8:00-3:30) and then longer days when needed. When the hiring manager said that family comes first and he was willing to be flexible, I took these conversations as an understanding that there would flexibility in the actual hours rather than start/end times. Maybe that was wishful thinking on my part. And there is the 32 hour a week structure in place- two individuals in my same position, but on a different campus work 32 hours. I think that I will just need to have a hard conversation and see if this is going to be a possibility at any point and then decide what to do from there. I'm just not looking forward to having it. Thanks again for the honest responses. 
  • Options
    nolanova85- How many weeks did you give it? My job history is strong. I was in one position for 5 years and then my previous position for 4 years. Prior to that I was just finishing school, so my professional experience is solid. 
  • Options
    LibraryChica- Thanks for the advice. That is what I am going to have to do-
    Maybe after the 4th of July break. Yes- I was super excited about this job move, so it's really a bummer. You never know when you take a chance.
  • Options
    I didn't read all the posts, so apologies is someone already mentioned. I think what's key here is you are hourly not salaried. A salaried person is paid the same amount regardless of how long it takes. So coming in at 8:30 and leaving at 5 should not be a big deal if you get your work done. Hourly folks are paid for exactly the time they are working. Seems like there is a difference in defining flexibiliity.
  • Options
    Listen to your gut and start looking because it sounds like even if you get the hours worked out, you still don't like the culture/environment.

I have been in this boat twice.  One job, I started looking at the 6 month mark and it took about 9 months for me to find something, so I ended up being there 1.5 years total - miserable for about 11 months!  It was an awful dark time for me.

Now, I'm in that situation again, though not as severe - I just don't like what i do and the culture and i just ran to it to get out of the last place.  I started looking after 5 months and have an interview with my dream company tomorrow!  Praying that the 3rd time's a charm and I can put the past couple of years behind me.  (I was at the company before last for 5 years, so want to find a permanent home again.)

Good luck, I know the feeling and it's the worst.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"