Trouble TTC
Options

RE Office Closed Holidays and Weekends?

I'm new to this board. So I go for my first IUI with Clomid at some point in the next week. I start testing with an OPK tomorrow, I was told to call the office the day I get a positive and the next morning I go in for the IUI. As my luck would have it I will most likely ovulate at some point this weekend, July 3rd will be day 14. My RE Offfice is closed on the 4th and also closed on Sunday. I was told if I get a positive OPK on the 3rd I'll have the IUI done on Sat., which could be 48 hours after I ovulate. I expressed my concern about timing with the nurse who said it will be fine. My mother told me she was surprised that they are closed and years ago when she went through IVF they were open 365 days a year, she said they were open Christmas Day. So I'm wondering if this is common and has anyone had an IUI done the 2nd day after a positive OPK as opposed to the next morning. I'm so worried about timing.

TTC #1

Me: AMA, DH: MFI

Official DX - MFI due to Hemochromatosis

IVF #1 Nov. 2014 - ER 11/10 (10R 6M 6F) - ET 11/13 

3DT of 3 embies - no frosties - CP = BFFN!!!!

****All Welcome****

imageimage

Re: RE Office Closed Holidays and Weekends?

• Options
    My office had me do a trigger shot at 8pm on a Monday, then go in for IUI at 9am on Wednesday, roughly 37 hours later.  They told me that's the same window they aim for if I would have had a +OPK on my own (which I didn't by day 13, hence the trigger).
    Perhaps the thinking is that you get your +OPK on Thursday, O sometime over the next 12-24 hours (Friday a.m. to Friday midday), and would have ~24 hours for insemination from there (Saturday a.m. to Sat midday)?  

Those office hours are a little worrisome.  Mine is open M-F til 4:30, then Sat/Sun they only do scheduled procedures with phones being answered until 10am (for +OPK's/CD1 reports).  As far as I know, that includes holidays.
    TTC April 2012 
    BFP: Valentine's Day 2015!!!
    DUE:  late October 2015

• Options
    My RE office hours are M-F until 3:30 and they are open every other weekend for IVF. I didn't think much about it until I realized my day could fall on a holiday or a weekend. If I get a positive on the 3rd in the morning by Sat I would think it could be too late. The nurse said because it normally takes hours for it to get where they are putting it the timing should be fine. This is being paid for out of pocket so it could get expensive if I have to do this month after month, even though I know that's a big possibility. Not to mention I'm 38 yo, time is not on my side.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never used opks (had monitoring & trigger), but my iuis were always timed 24-36 hours after my trigger. I know when b2b iuis are sched they have them at 24 & 48 hrs, so maybe you do TI on the day of? I'm mobile so I can't see your history. My RE office is open til 4 M-F and every Saturday & Sunday 8-12. They try to protect the bigger holidays (easter, thanksgiving, etc) but will sched appts for IVF if necessary.
    **********SIGGY/TICKER WARNING**********

ALL WELCOME!

TTC since 04/12
    Me- 26 PCOS
    DH- 28 MFI
    10/13 IUI #1 (1 follie)- BFP!
    11/13 M/C @9 wk due to tetraploidy, one little boy in heaven
    01/14 IUI#2 (1 follie) BFN
    02/14 IUI #3 (3 follies) BFN
    03/14 IUI #4 (2 follies) BFN
    05/14 IVF/ICSI #1 CXL
    07/14 IVF/ICSI #1.2 6R, 6M, 5F, 2T, 2 frosties!
    Transferred 2-5dt  CP
    09/14 FET #1 BFP! Beta #1 52 Beta #2 152!
    10/20/14- It's TWINS!

1/15- TEAM PURPLE!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Mine is open every single day. I find it troublesome, too. They won't do elective things (even a beta) on a holiday, but absolutely would do IUI on the 4th. Do you have other options?
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• Options
    Wow, that does not sound reasonable for them not to do what gives you the best chances for success just because they are not open that day! I would request/require a trigger shot in time for IUI before the weekend if it looks like you may be O'ing around that time. And if there were other options available in the area, I would seriously consider them. It's not cool to add more stress to the mix that way!
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Options
    The more I think about it the more I find it troublesome. I started to get a little concerned when they suggested the first IUI with Clomid but aren't monitoring me. I'm relying on OPK, I can go in for an u/s if I chose to. I called this morning to ask the nurse what time of the day I should do the OPK and she told me first morning urine. Everything I've read over the past months of TTC says not to use FMU. The nurse said this is how they do a patients first IUI, I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I'm starting to consider looking into other REs in my area if I don't have success this month. Just curious if I'm overreacting.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• Options
    AnnaClaire256AnnaClaire256 member
    edited July 2014

That does seem a little late for your IUI...36 hrs is standard. Idk why the nurse would tell you to test your FMU...I've always heard early afternoon is the best time to test.

My drs hours are 7:30-5:30 M-F. My first monitoring appt is Wednesday. If my follies aren't ready then I'll have to come in on the 4th for a special appointment with whatever dr is on call. Same thing happens if your monitoring falls on a weekend. They're more than happy to come in and do it...for an extra $125, of course.

Me (29) DH (37)

Married 7/11

Actively TTC 3/12

DX: PCOS

Current treatment: Break from IUIs until after the holidays

-----All Welcome----

~~~January 3T Siggy Challenge: New Year's Resolutions~~~

(I don't do resolutions...so I stole T-Rex's)

• Options
    What really made me start to wonder was when the nurse told me to use FMU, in all the time I've been TTC I've never heard of using FMU with an OPK, that's for a HPT. When I questioned it she told me to read the box. Then when she told me they are closed on the 4th and on Sunday I got more concerned. This doctor comes highly recommended by my OBGYN and they did do all the necessary testing on my DH and I. I would hate to go through all of the testing again if I end up switching REs. If I decide to switch can I transfer my records? I might as well try this month, FX I O on the 4th or Sunday so I can go in the next day, otherwise I feel like I am wasting my time and money.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• Options
    My Re's office does close for holidays and is only open M-F but their main office is open M-sat and if needed for holidays and Sundays. When I was doing monitoring for my IVF I had to go to the main office for my sat appt and they told me depending on my bloodwork they would have me come back on Sunday if needed. They have a group on call at all times from what I understand. Even the nurses have to put in 1 weekend in a month.

As far as the OPK's I think some of them do require FMU or it says on some directions. I've actually never read the directions but I've heard ppl talk about it.

Good Luck!
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    Can you request the trigger shot so you can manage the timing? My RE hours are 7-5 m-f and 7-12 Saturday and Sunday. Open every day except Xmas

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    January & February: 2 IUIs, BFN
    March:  IUI, ectopic, 2 surgeries with 1 tube removed
    May - July: 3 more IUIs, all BFN, on to IVF
    August: IVF#1, BFN
    September:  FET#1, BFP!!!
    It's a girl!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm thinking of calling them and asking about the trigger shot. That's what a few people have mentioned. From what I remember I think the trigger shot is super expensive. I'm going to look further into it tomorrow.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• Options
    The trigger shot should only cost about $80. That's what I pay from freedom fertility and I'm OOP.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options

The trigger shot should only cost about $80. That's what I pay from freedom fertility and I'm OOP.

Same here $80 from our local pharmacy.

Me (29) DH (37)

Married 7/11

Actively TTC 3/12

DX: PCOS

Current treatment: Break from IUIs until after the holidays

-----All Welcome----

~~~January 3T Siggy Challenge: New Year's Resolutions~~~

(I don't do resolutions...so I stole T-Rex's)

• Options
    Well I read the directions on the OPK and it does say FMU, so the nurse was right. I'm going to call in the morning and ask about the trigger shot. I checked the paperwork w/ prices & it says an IUI cycle w/ injectables is over $3,000 not including the meds, I'm just confused at this point.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• Options
    KT416KT416 member

I used to see my RE through my local dr. office and when I was doing testing and had to call for my first day of period for tests, they were closed on weekends and holidays.

I ended up switching to a specialized fertility clinic and they are open 365 days a year. During my IVF cycle, everything important pretty much fell on the weekend. Some of their monitoring offices were closed, but their main office was open for everything (and really busy on Sundays when I went in for bloodwork). I was worried my transfer would fall on the Fourth, and my nurse said not to worry about it, since they'll be open.

If you do decide to transfer at some point, you just need to call them to transfer paperwork. I just went in and picked mine up and brought it to my new office.

Good luck with your IUI!

Me: 29, DH: 30

Married: April, 2011; TTC: July, 2012

Dx: MFI; June '14 IVF w/ ICSI: 11R, 8M, 5F... 1 5dt, beta #1: 213, beta #2: 621, beta #3: 8545!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going to use the OPK and see what happens, hopefully i'll get a positive the day before they're open, if not I'm going to see about an u/s. At this point all I can do is play it by year and try to time intercourse, after this cycle I may look into a new RE, this is added stress

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"