January 2013 Moms
Options

How much TV....

Are your LOs really watching? dD doesn't watch tv in the house, though I always have MSNBC on in the background. She's watched maybe 5 episodes of Daniel Tiger on Netflix, all in the same week she was pretty sick and housebound.

However, I have the PBS Kids app downloaded, and I feel like whenever we are in the car or in the store and losing patience, it had become my go to tool. I mean maybe in a week, she watches 1.5 or 2 hours in total. What about all of you?

Our little Samosa arrives in January!

Re: How much TV....

• Options
    DCKateDCKate member
    @teds1chic‌ ok, glad we aren't the only ones:). My husband said the same about needing to veg out, and she's so busy reading and playing all day that I don't feel too bad.
  • Options
    RN2011RN2011 member
    Maybe 2-3 hours at most?  I know my mom will let her watch an episode of Doc McStuffins, Dora or Mickey Mouse clubhouse during the day.  She watches 1/2 hour of Bubble Guppies before her bath time.  On Saturday and Sunday mornings I'll put on Sprout while I'm getting her breakfast ready.  Sometimes she watches them sometimes not.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We watch a lot of TV.  She learns words from it and turns it on herself and I am too pregnant to play with her all day so I don't want to object too often.  She is very good at entertaining herself with toys without TV but gets bored so unless I am up to getting out some play dough or something, I let her watch TV.  We do go to the pool, the park, storytime, a baby class, playdates, the splashpad, and play outside and do organized and unorganized things inside, but in between those things, I do think she needs to relax.  My mom was just describing a study to me that said MRIs of baby's brains showed differences between babies who watched TV and those who didn't, and that babies who watched TV had lower vocab scores...but for one thing, that doesn't sound super compelling, journalists oversimplify and misstate, and my mom can't remember things very accurately.  Plus, my baby says several hundred words and understands complicated things I tell her, so I think she may be past the point where it is super bad.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Zero. I don't turn it on for him and we don't have it on in the background. DH and I occasionally watch Netflix/Hulu but not in front of DS, usually after he is in bed.

Our pedi recommended no TV until age 2. He probably won't even watch it after that because we just aren't TV people. 

ETA: I did just discover "Signing Time," a show to teach kids ASL, so yesterday I pulled up a few clips on youtube. DS didn't really care.
    IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• Options
    The tv stays on Disney jr while we are home (since I am off this summer) because I like background noise. DS watches it when music comes on and when he cuddles because he's tired but he is usually too busy for the tv and will often turn it off. (Usually when I am in the middle of an episode of something I haven't seen on Disney jr and wanting to see the end LOL!!!)
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have kids shows or movies on in the background most of the time. Sometimes he needs something familiar to calm him down, but most of the time he only watches when a favorite part comes on. He learned his first words from Despicable Me 2 and anything that is going to help us break through and get him talking i view as acceptable. We play, we go out, he goes to the park, and is doing well, so i'm not concerned.

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• Options
    Maybe an hour? And not every day. They don't do TV at daycare. And when I am home I'll do a little in the morning (the news or catch up on something I dvr that DH won't watch) and maybe fifteen minutes here and there for snack time or if I need to cook dinner. I have it on in the background sometimes but we have never sat and watched TV together except when we all had the stomach flu. I'm not against it but I try not to encourage it too much because I figure it will be begged for soon enough. :-) Thankfully I'm technologically slow so three most she had ever seen on my phone are videos of puppies on you tube when crying during diaper changes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We have the TV on Nick Jr most of the time or else on the Direct TV music channels. I have to have the background noise. DD doesn't usually slow down enough to watch unless she's tired and wants to snuggle. She also stops and looks up and starts dancing whenever music comes on, especially if it's Bubble Guppies or Yo Gabba Gabba. I swear the kid has a crush on DJ Lance...she smiles so big whenever she sees him. Lol. 

This thread has made me feel much better about TV. I figure I watched some TV as a toddler and I made As and had high test scores in school. I don't think it really matters much unless parents use the TV as a babysitter.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    DS is really not interested. I've put on a few shows (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Doc McStuffins, The Wiggles, Thomas, Barney, etc.). He'll watch for maybe 5 minutes and then he'll go on with his day. Sometimes, if they're singing, he'll dance along but he never really watches it.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DCKateDCKate member
    Indeed! She's limited in her tv time (she's not interested in the house tv but loves my iPhone) but sometimes I need 15 minutes to get lunch ready or pack for us to go to the park! Or pee. Just for a minute.
  • Options
    DD will watch Disney jr in the mornings but that is really it. She doesn't even pay attention that often...mostly just during the songs. Sometimes we have something else on in the background, but she doesn't really watch it if it isn't a Disney jr show. I'm glad she isn't showing much interest yet.
  • Options
    jcar2 said:

DS doesn't really watch any tv. We may have it on in the background (such as right now the World Cup is on) but DS doesn't pay much attention.

This. I've gotten him DVDs from the library about his favorite things (dogs and trucks), and he'll watch for 2 minutes and go on to something else.

**Nestie Besties with Deutschefairy**

Diagnosed PCOS '03, TTC #1 Since March '09
    BFP - 10/20/10, M/C - 10/29/10
    June 2011 - 50mg Clomid = No O
    Dieted and exercised my butt off for PCOS = BFP 5/7/2012
    Due 12/29/2012
  • Options
    Ok on our 5 hour car trip Jacey found a deep love for Frozen, and really watched the whole movie, and even sang let it go. DH teared up, she maybe watches 1-2 hours a day. To much but she talks tons and is on track and/or ahead on her milestones. I watched tv as a child, and graduated 3rd in my class. SO im not to worried about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We don't have a TV. I'm going to wait until two for TV shows on the iPad. Once in a while I'll show him a five-min Youtube video of Elmo on my phone or computer.

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• Options
    after re-reading what i wrote i made it seem like she's a couch potato...i mean there are times where i can't break her concentration on the tv, but for the most part, she is really good at independent play....when disney jr is not on, or she is just not in the mood, she's good at just playing and doing what she wants that's not tv related....
    plus she's at daycare all day playing and running around and doing normal kid stuff there too....interacting with other kids etc
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We have it on pretty much the entire time we are home. DH is a TV hog, but DS isn't watching it all the time. On a daily basis, he'll watch it while he eats his breakfast while DH is in the shower and I'm getting ready for work. And in the evenings I usually let him have 30-60 minutes, usually while we are cooking dinner or cleaning up from dinner. He very rarely just sits and stares at the tv, usually he will watch it a bit, then go pick up a book or play with his kitchen, etc. 

He will actually sit and watch Mickey Mouse Club House, maybe Bubble Guppies but I think he is kind of over that show now...thankfully. Oh, and he does love Daniel Tiger.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    teds1chic said:
    Ok on our 5 hour car trip Jacey found a deep love for Frozen, and really watched the whole movie, and even sang let it go. DH teared up, she maybe watches 1-2 hours a day. To much but she talks tons and is on track and/or ahead on her milestones. I watched tv as a child, and graduated 3rd in my class. SO im not to worried about it.
    Henley will sit for the whole Frozen movie too. It's crazy
    I wanted DS to love Frozen because I wanted so badly to see it but DH made fun of me for wanting to watch it. I thought if I was watching with DS, then I could say we were just watching it for him. He was interested for .5 seconds. I ended up making my 17 year old nephew watch it with me so that I could say I watched it with "one of the boys" hahaha
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    amcourt09 said:
    teds1chic said:
    Henley will sit for the whole Frozen movie too. It's crazy
    I wanted DS to love Frozen because I wanted so badly to see it but DH made fun of me for wanting to watch it. I thought if I was watching with DS, then I could say we were just watching it for him. He was interested for .5 seconds. I ended up making my 17 year old nephew watch it with me so that I could say I watched it with "one of the boys" hahaha
    Pff.. DS hates Frozen, I on the other hand an a disney addict, and my H learned long ago not to stand between me and my musicals lol. I LOVE frozen.

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• Options
    DD watches zero TV.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"