November 2013 Moms
Options

Does your baby "steal" toys?

Lately I've noticed whenever N is playing with her little friends, she will grab toys out of their hands even if she already has a toy. She will also grab at their clothes and hair. I try to redirect her, tell her no and give the toy back to the baby, but she just tries to do it again. My question is, should I even try to redirect or, or should I let the babies handle it themselves? I've read articles on both opinions. I understand that right now they're babies and don't understand what sharing is, but I also feel bad (and feel like the other moms are judging me) when she grabs their toys and hair. 
SO, do your babies do this too and if not, would you side eye a mom for letting her baby do it and not redirecting them? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Does your baby "steal" toys?

• Options
    I would not side eye at this age. I would probably redirect him, but I really hope nobody expects babies his age to "act right." I think it's helpful for parents to be nearby and help if they are doing something that can cause harm.

I don't really say no to G but that's only because I know he doesn't understand and it seems like wasted breath at this point in his development.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    SV917SV917 member
    My twins are always stealing toys from each other. Usually I just let it go because the baby who is left without a toy is usually happy when handed a different toy. I will only take the toy away from the "thief" when the "victim" cries. The "thief" is generally happy when given a new toy.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LJGS1010 said:
    E tried to steal a pacifier from another baby's mouth the other day! I cracked up (while stopping him) because the boy has refused a pacifier from day 1.

I would side eye anyone who side eyes an 8 month old for grabbing things. They don't know any better.

Agreed. I have started stopping LO from pulling my hair and things like that and I just remove his hand (gently) and say "thats not nice, be gentle" I know he doesn't know what I mean but I'm trying to avoid the "NO!" habit so I'm trying my mind not his at this point.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"