Preemies
Options

Need advice, acid reflux and gas issues, crib vs rock and play?

gcamacho0816gcamacho0816 member
edited June 2014 in Preemies
Hi! My baby was born 26 weeks gest premature. She is now home with us since June 2nd. She was born on March 6th and was at the NICU for three months. I have a baby that has gas issues and seems uncomfortable when I put her in the crib even when it has a wedge under the mattress. She has a hard time getting comfortable and cries. She is on colief drops that I put in her milk and then now on Axid for three days from the acid reflux issues. She is also allergic to dairy so I stopped pumping and now she is on similac allementum. I don' t know what else to do. I feel so bad for her. She wines, complains with the tones she makes, and at night it is difficult to put her to sleep. I keep the lights low and quiet but with white noise. I just think that if she didn't have tummy trouble and had an easier time digesting she would sleep better. I don't know what else to do. I want her to sleep in her crib because she sleeps in the fisherprice rock and play, which is more upright, but I do not want her to get used to it, leading for her to not want to be in her room crib. What should I do?

Re: Need advice, acid reflux and gas issues, crib vs rock and play?

• Options
    My two, also born at 26 weeks but back in January, slept in bouncers for the first two months because one had reflux (it was just easier to have them in the same thing).  In the last two weeks the reflux is starting to calm down and I've been able to put them in their bassinet baskets for both naps and sleeping at night.  Both made the transition without too much of a problem.  

In other words, I'd let her sleep where she is comfortable and gets rest.  Remember, our tiny ones need to be putting on weight and growing.  That is their biggest job right now, so whatever lets them sleep in the best imho.  Good luck <3

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    Thank you. That really helps. As long as my little baby is comfortable that is all that matters. How did you make the transition when it was time? Also, did you wait until the acid reflux got better?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My 26 weeker slept in the RNP until 11 months (8 adjusted) until we transitioned her to a crib in her own room. 

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Options
    Pips09Pips09 member
    I agree with letting her sleep where she is comfortable (as long as it's safe). We used the RNP exclusively until 7 months, and then intermittently when she was having trouble sleeping. We were still able to transition to the crib without too much trouble.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    My bassinets are also moses baskets.  To transition, I put the moses baskets on the floor in the same general facing as I had the bouncers so that the view wouldn't change; they could still see me as they fell asleep.  Once that was customary, I just put the baskets back into the frame, and they did pretty well falling asleep there.  

As to when?  As one of them spit up last night and woke me with the sputtering and coughing, wondering if I did it too soon.  She's asleep in her bouncer at the moment.  I went by the fact that she wasn't sounding like she was fighting stuff back down anymore and tried short stints for naps.  

Totally agree with other posters in that even if you use it for a year and then transition, it will be just fine for your family.  Each child is so unique.  Good luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    My LO has a lot of gas from the higher cal formula he is on. He was sleeping in a crib the first week he was home, but he wasn't getting long periods of sleep. He would constantly wake up to fuss, force out some gas, and then go back to sleep. I've had him in the RnP exclusively for the last week and he is sleeping SO much better! I'm happy if he is happy.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"