October 2014 Moms

Birthing Classes

heatherjeanpheatherjeanp member
edited June 2014 in October 2014 Moms
I just registered for 2 birthing classes. So I guess this childbirth thing is really happening! :) I was unaware, however, that a lot if the classes are made available only monthly in my network. So my classes are August 31 and September 3...the next available arent until the end of September. So my advice then, is to look into dates for your classes sooner rather than later.

Suddenly the time seems to be passing quickly!

Re: Birthing Classes

• That happened with us as well! We wanted to take Hypnobirthing classes offered by our birthing center, but the only sessions available this year were May/June and September/October. So we moved some stuff around on our schedule to accommodate the earlier session!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, I should really get on that. Good advice, thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • I kept putting it on the back burner, thinking there was plenty of time! My BF and my OB kept reminding me. FT mom here so I hadn't a clue.
  • I didn't go to any classes with my first because I ran out of time and couldn't get in before I was due.
  • I went though that with my first as only had a week to go when I went been told that I don't need to go again as they just repeat the classes but will find a breast feeding class as couldn't last time and they were only on when I was giving birth upsetting that most of classes clash with my due date xx
  • AargAarg member
    I started my Bradley Class about 1 month ago to make sure we could get in!!
  • I started my Bradley Class at the end of May to make sure that we finished the classes before Schroeder arrives.  As it is a 3 month cycle, we had to start early as none of the local teachers started classes in late June/early July.  

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• We are starting hypnobirthing classes next week :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Isn't it odd how infrequent they are? I was thankful that my midwife reminded us early and often...we're doing the breast feeding class next Saturday because the only other option was late September at my due date.

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• I remember when I did them, my hospital required you to register for the classes in your 1st trimester.
  • ADH0906 said:
    Isn't it odd how infrequent they are? I was thankful that my midwife reminded us early and often...we're doing the breast feeding class next Saturday because the only other option was late September at my due date.
    It's so strange. And thank you for reminding me to look into the schedule for breastfeeding classes!
  • femailfemail member
    I've been meaning to look up the classes offered and finally register for them! THanks for the reminder. :)

I plan on taking the childbirth prep class & the breastfeeding class.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Aarg said:

I started my Bradley Class about 1 month ago to make sure we could get in!!

I started my Bradley Class at the end of May to make sure that we finished the classes before Schroeder arrives.  As it is a 3 month cycle, we had to start early as none of the local teachers started classes in late June/early July.  

How are you liking the classes, both of you? I start mine on Wednesday. I'm nervous about it because it was expensive.
  • Great advice -- I looked into our hospital labor/breastfeeding classes a few weeks ago and got all stressed because they're almost all booked, from now until September. I got us into what we needed by booking some random (middle of the workday) times, but still, I had no idea they filled up so early.

Haven't even looked at a Bradley or hypno class yet...yikes. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I just went to sign up for our birthing class and realized we have to choose between early August and mid-September. :( We're moving some time in August so that's not ideal, but September seems too late! Choices, choices!

Luckily the hospital tour and breast feeding classes are more often.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Just wanted to throw this out there for those with tough schedules like me: I wanted to do the Bradley class but NO WAY will that work with my schedule. So I found birthbootcamp.com and am really really happy with it so far. 
  • We signed up for everything within the last couple of weeks. A lot was filled up and we almost missed out. All of these classes will take place between July and September. 

Prenatal Yoga
    Childbirth Preparation
    Infant Care
    CPR - Infant & Child
    Hypnobirthing - Private Class

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• @MRSclark08 @NavyFlyer buy the book on Bradley classes. It's called Husband-Coached Childbirth. There are also a few spinoff books about it, but that's the original.
    Married since *7/13/2012* to my soulmate!

Surprise! BFP 3/7/2013, Missed MC, D&C @ 7w5d
    BFP 12/10/2013, Natural MC @ 5w1d

BFP 2/15/2014...Katia Elizabeth is due 10/23/2014!
     BabyFruit Ticker
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I signed up two weeks ago, worried about getting shut out - we're taking:
    Child safety class (just two classes)
    Hospital Childbirth class
    Private Childbirth class - that is old school - more Lamaze than hypnobirthing but taught by Doulas and I really liked the sound of it.

But thanks for the reminder that I need to get signed up for my breast feeding class. My doctor recommended I do it as close to my due date as possible to make sure I retain what I learn (pregnancy brain and all :)).  I'm letting DH skip that one.

Lilypie - (urRB)

• This happened to us also. We called last week to schedule a birthing class and a breastfeeding class. Both next available were early September. At least all the info will be fresh lol

Anniversary 

• NavyFlyer said:

Just wanted to throw this out there for those with tough schedules like me: I wanted to do the Bradley class but NO WAY will that work with my schedule. So I found birthbootcamp.com and am really really happy with it so far. 

This sounds intriguing to me. Have you found the information really helpful? I wish there was a way to peruse/get some info before purchasing. I have high anxiety in hospitals and I was hoping to do one from the safety of my couch... It is a bit costly though. Did you research any others first?

• This is an excellent reminder that I need to call my Birth Center and get registered!  Thank you! :)
    IT'S A GIRL!!
    Started dating 2/11/01
    Married 7/11/10
    TTC 9/2013 - BFP 2/11/14 - EDD 10/19/14 {Hoping for DD of 10/11/14}
    Me (30) DH (31)

BabyFruit Ticker
    (Her nursery is shades of turquoise, hence the blue text and ticker)
  • edited July 2014
    So I checked and my hospital has a 4 week birthing course for the month of August. I'm due at the end of October...is that too early? Should I wait to enroll in their September course? I don't want to seem overeager in a class full of ready-to-pop moms when I'm just now starting to noticeably show. (I realize this is a silly thing to worry about)

ETA: Found the September course! So I do have that option, hooray. Silly me. 
  • Just wanted to throw this out there for those with tough schedules like me: I wanted to do the Bradley class but NO WAY will that work with my schedule. So I found birthbootcamp.com and am really really happy with it so far. 
    This sounds intriguing to me. Have you found the information really helpful? I wish there was a way to peruse/get some info before purchasing. I have high anxiety in hospitals and I was hoping to do one from the safety of my couch... It is a bit costly though. Did you research any others first?
    I love it so far. It is expensive, but not more expensive than an in-person Bradley course. Definitely not worth the money if you aren't highly motivated for an unmedicated/natural birth. It's overkill if you just want the basics. 
  • I asked my OB about this at my 14 week visit and he said to sign up right away. I am glad we did! We are due 10/20, so I have a breast feeding class and newborn care class in August, but since I do have to travel in early August, I had to sign up for birthing classes in September. I a hoping that isn't too late if we go into labor prematurely but only time will tell!
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • So I checked and my hospital has a 4 week birthing course for the month of August. I'm due at the end of October...is that too early? Should I wait to enroll in their September course? I don't want to seem overeager in a class full of ready-to-pop moms when I'm just now starting to noticeably show. (I realize this is a silly thing to worry about)

ETA: Found the September course! So I do have that option, hooray. Silly me. 
    My hospital suggested that the childbirth classes be completed by 4-6 weeks before the due date.  It may be good to ask what your hospital recommends just to be safe. :)
  • The classes through my hospital were already all booked--I couldn't believe that people did that so early on! I googled birthing classes in my city and found one that worked for us--it's a two day $350 course. I wish insurance covered it.
  • Our classes are only monthly too but I refuse to go due to the cost. I am not paying $100 for only 10% of the info to be new to me. I just bought a book instead and so far I am very happy and it has answered all the breast feeding and birthing questions I had.
    Did you check to see if insurance covers any of it? Ours covers $90 so the $10 extra didn't seem bad to me at all!

• Good reminder.  I didn't sign up for any until last week when the Bump reminded me to.  Sessions were limited and we were lucky to get in.  Ours is $200, but we can be reimbursed for it through our FSA.  DH was excited about that part.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"