September 2012 Moms
Options

This toddler bed thing SUCKS

edited June 2014 in September 2012 Moms
Ladies,

I am going bat shit crazy. 

Last week DD climbed out of her crib twice. She was throwing on leg over the side, then the other, then dropping and taking a blow to the chin each time so she could escape. So we changed her crib to a toddler bed. 

Since then, bed time has been a nightmare. It's 11 p.m. or sometimes midnight before we can get her to stay in her bed and go to sleep. Then the next day she is overtired and won't nap and wants to go to bed at dinner time and is literally falling over tired. We let her go to bed last night because we literally could not keep her awake. She slept from 6-7 and then woke up and partied until midnight. 

Help me. I don't know how to fix this! She wants to get out of bed and read books and play with toys and do all the things. I am exhausted!!! 
Me: 27 DH: 28
Diagnosis: PCOS, irregular cycles, old lady eggs. DH is fine.
Started TTC in January 2010. BFP December 25, 2011 between IF appts. 
DD born August 31, 2012
Began TTC again in Jan. 2013. 
Four rounds of Clomid - BFN
Fifth round of Clomid September/Oct - cancelled
HSG scheduled for Oct. 30 - Tubes all clear
December: Round one of Femara  - BFN
Round two - ? 

image image image

Re: This toddler bed thing SUCKS

• Options
    I would go into Supernanny mode hard core.

I'm sorry, this is always my greatest fear when it comes to bed transition.
  • Options

I haven't transitioned yet so take this with a grain of salt, but what if you removed the books and toys from her room. Then she has nothing to play with.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I haven't transitioned yet so take this with a grain of salt, but what if you removed the books and toys from her room. Then she has nothing to play with.

I will have to put them in totes! 

We're in renovation mode right now, so her usual play space in our living room is currently in her room! I try to keep it organized so it's not toy chaos for her to look at all night - but I can see where it would be tempting to get out of bed and play. 

Maybe I also just need to do a toy clean out since she has a zillion things. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Options
    I would go into Supernanny mode hard core.

I'm sorry, this is always my greatest fear when it comes to bed transition.
    Can you elaborate on Supernanny? I am desperate haha
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Options
    I would just let her play. It's going to happen for a few weeks. I would DEF. remove all sound making/noisy toys though. 

When we transitioned, we were ready to just have him play all night long until he passed out on the floor. I wasn't going to go on. Bedtime is bedtime. You are in your room and that's that. I figured he would eventually get tired and go to sleep. He only did this a VERY little bit at naps,and then would climb into bed and fall asleep. 

That's my take anyways. We close the door at night though and have a handle lock on the door so he can't get out.I watch him on my foscam camera from downstairs.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    Super nanny you would need a video monitor for. Every time she got out of bed you would have to go in her room and put her back in bed immediately. No eye contact, not stimulation, *maybe* repeat the same phrase:"it's time for bed now" (or something similar) Sit outside her door and just.keep.doing it. I would also put another vote in for taking everything out of her room. I mean, your renovating anyway so you're house is chaotic enough I'm sure, what's an extra dresser in the middle of the hallway? ;)

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Super nanny you would need a video monitor for. Every time she got out of bed you would have to go in her room and put her back in bed immediately. No eye contact, not stimulation, *maybe* repeat the same phrase:"it's time for bed now" (or something similar) Sit outside her door and just.keep.doing it. I would also put another vote in for taking everything out of her room. I mean, your renovating anyway so you're house is chaotic enough I'm sure, what's an extra dresser in the middle of the hallway? ;)
    hahahaha true story.  
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Options
    You can watch some of them on YouTube but it's basically no verbals or eye contact and putting them back in the bed over and over until they realize you aren't going to stop.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry. I'm terrified of that transition. Hope some of the other mamas' advice works!!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We've done this.  It helped, I just wasn't as consistent as I needed to be.  But with how it's going right now for you, I would definitely try this and stick to it.

From what I've read, the longer they're out of bed, the more they think it's ok.  So sitting outside her door so that you can intervene immediately, helps.  It will probably take several days, if not longer, to do this over and over until she realizes that there is no benefit to leaving bed, and she'll stay in bed.  

And take out the toys and books.  We no longer keep anything but books in our older kid's room because he has trouble going to sleep at night.  He's allowed to read books before bed, so we keep those, but no toys.  Right now, that means we have a toy shelf in our living room.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    You shouldn't need a video monitor, just sit in the doorway or right outside the door so you can see/hear when she gets up.
  • Options
    Okay. I am going to do a major overhaul of her room, then. I have two empty totes so I guess she'll be getting some of her toys put away! 

I feel like putting her back in bed and not talking to her is so heartless :( but she has to get the message. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Options
    Okay. I am going to do a major overhaul of her room, then. I have two empty totes so I guess she'll be getting some of her toys put away! 

I feel like putting her back in bed and not talking to her is so heartless :( but she has to get the message. 
    I'm sorry the transition has been rough. Maybe you could treat it the same way as when they were infants and you went in to their room in the middle of the night to feed? We always went in quietly, fed and went right back to sleep. No talking, singing, etc. Just quietly. It doesn't have to be mean, just quiet and to the point, kwim?

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Options
    Eastie156 said:

I'm sorry the transition has been rough. Maybe you could treat it the same way as when they were infants and you went in to their room in the middle of the night to feed? We always went in quietly, fed and went right back to sleep. No talking, singing, etc. Just quietly. It doesn't have to be mean, just quiet and to the point, kwim?
    Very true. I will try this tonight

DD born August 31, 2012
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Options
    We transitioned Lilly right at 2. She honestly didn't try at first until I made the mistake of pointing out to her that she could get up herself (she was screaming at me at 6am to come get her while I was nursing Finn). Dumbest move ever. After that we had to set up camp outside of her room for a while and that deterred her from getting up. Then she stayed.

Now we have regressed (this happens every time we go out of town) and are back to putting her back in bed 5-10 times. (:|
  • Options
    Holly_1007Holly_1007 member
    edited June 2014
    You shouldn't need a video monitor, just sit in the doorway or right outside the door so you can see/hear when she gets up.
    ****** I don't know what happened to my quote boxes, sorry. Anyway, all our kids sleep with closed doors because of the dogs, plus their rooms are carpeted. I definitely see what you are saying how it *could* be done without a video monitor! just probably not for us haha

• Options
    We've transitioned both boys before they were 18 months and before they could open doors. We don't keep toys in the rooms like pp mention, but they both have some reading books a stuffed animal or two and that's it. The first few weeks they play or read for a little bit sometimes falling asleep on the floor but they didn't know how to open doors so they couldn't get out and they'd get bored and go to sleep. Everything else is anchored or latched away (boringest kids rooms ever I'm sure). Now they fall asleep in bed within minutes. Ds1 is 3 1/2 and we've been leaving his bedroom door open at naps/bedtimes for about 8-9 months because he doesn't like to be shut in and he doesn't leave the room until naps are over or it's morning and we are callin for him. Ds2 has recently figured out doorknobs (but only sometimes) and he lets himself out so we put the covers on as well and he's back to knowing when it's bed/nap time that it's no longer playtime out with us without protest. Hang in there and be consistent. We couldn't do the "super nanny" with our boys they would have gotten all worked up each time seeing us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    watercolor5watercolor5 member
    edited June 2014
    I think the only reason our bed transition went so easily was because we had just moved and the only things in Sophia's new room was her bed and a rocking chair.  Since then she has made sure she has a couple of dolls, a book, a few lovies, a monkey pillow, blankets for her dolls, etc, but there really is nothing else to play with in there and everything can be played with in bed. 

She of course gets out of bed and wanders around the room and I've seen her  baby doll sitting up in the rocking chair multiple times, but she's never played for longer than half an hour.  (I think the times she's fallen asleep on the floor was cause she played to the point of exhaustion though.)

I'd take it out in totes or designate a new play area somewhere else in the house, but make her bedroom all about sleep.

Sorry you're going through such a rough transition!

ETA: We don't go back in her room for playing sounds or normal fussing sounds- just if her crying starts to amp up and we want to make sure nothing is wrong.
  • Options
    I dread this. DD will be the same exact way, I know it. I am sorry you are going through this, and I hope it get's better soon. I agree with the trying the super nanny thing. That is what we tried with DD1. It's not a fun process. We also had to remove all toys and books from the room for awhile. Good luck.

• Options
    How's it going @BillyMollyEmmy‌

• Options
    Sorry to hear it's been a rough transition. We transitioned DD 5 weeks after her second birthday. It was flawless. Until one day....many many weeks after transitioned. She learned on her own what kind of freedom she actually had. She would tear pages out of her books to the point we had to live with them in the hall for a few weeks. She also got into all her creams and vaseline and put it EVERYWHERE. I learned quick to remove everything. We also told her that he feet better not touch that floor until we come in and get her. One night I saw her climbing from her bed to her dresser via her bookshelf and she called me out that her feet never hit the floor. That was closer to 3 years old....but I swear...these kids always find a way to outsmart us!!

Hope it's getting better BME!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    BPerBPer member
    How's it going @BillyMollyEmmy‌
    I was just going to ask this.

I meant to post in here yesterday as we just transitioned DD as well.

I am not sure she has figured out that she's not just in a really big crib now.  We have the rails up on the sides, and pillows on either side of her so she feels confined.  So far, so good...but we haven't had to deal with a nap yet because we were so on-the-go this last weekend.

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    We still hang out in James room in the chair for a bit until he is about to fall asleep. He won't get out of bed or make any sounds if one of us is in there. It doesn't take long.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"