December 2014 Moms
Options

Newborn in a crib?

FTM here...

So we have a small house, 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and the bedrooms are right next to each other.  Co-sleeping is not an option and neither is a bassinet in our room because its so small.  My question is what do you ladies think about baby going straight to the crib in the room next to ours? Plan on using a baby monitor.  Asked my mom and she said that with a baby in the same room you tend to wake up at every single noise so it would be ok to keep baby close by in the next room.

Any reason going straight to a crib in the next room would be a bad idea? Thoughts, concerns?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Newborn in a crib?

• Options
    I think a lot of people do this so I don't see why it would be an issue.

For us, we kept DS right next to the bed for the first 4 months or so. It made MOTN feedings so easy and it let me have a little peace of mind that he was okay. We've moved since having him and our bedroom situation is a little smaller so I'm not 100% sure how we're going to do it, but I fully plan on room-sharing with this LO, too. It will take some furniture rearranging, but it's worth it to me.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • Options
    Are you planning to bf? For me it was so much easier to have baby right next to my bed so that I could just roll over and feed him and go back to sleep without getting up and waking fully. I had a very small and narrow room and we used a RockNPlay right next to the bed. It worked out.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Eora3Eora3 member
    I know it is recommended (AAP) to have the baby in the same room for the first six months or so. It helps them sleep because they know you are close and they feel safer. It also helps prevent SIDS because they hear you breathing and it subconsciously reminds them.

Also, it is just convenient, especially if you are breast feeding. If you can put the baby right next to the bed, you don't have to get up to feed and change them. When you are only getting 45 minutes breaks between feedings, it really makes a difference. Even when I was formula feeding, I kept all my supplies on the night stand and made the bottles right there.
  • Options
    It's all in what you are comfortable with.  As a FTM I liked having the baby right next to me, plus I BF so it was easier.  That being said, at 8 weeks I needed a break from all the grunting and noises waking me up so he went in his own room.  I know a lot of people that use a Rock & Play because they are smaller than a bassinet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My first two went straight to the crib. I would get up and bf then go back to bed. It worked great for us. They both slept through the night by 6 weeks.
  • Options
    With our first we lived in a small 2 bedroom townhome and put dd straight into a crib.  I personally would never do it again.  Our experience was that she had a hard time sleeping in the crib from the beginning.  She had her days and nights mixed up and we ended up staying up with her most nights until she got comfortable sleeping alone.

Second time around with DS we had him first in a bassinet almost up against the bed next to me (he didn't like it much) then switched to a rock n play type chair and he slept so well.  Only up maybe one night.  Breastfeeding was SO much easier, I think he just slept better because he knew I was close by.  Would definitely do the same thing with any future babies and recommend it to anyone.  He stayed in our room until he was 4 months then we transitioned to the crib and he did wonderfully.  It got to a point where his noises would keep me up at night so the switch made sense and we both slept better after that.
    December 2014 November Siggy Challenge: How I Feel in Third Tri

Mom to DD(4), DS(2) and # 3 Due 12/14/14

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    There is some research that sleeping in the same room for the first few months is safer. That being said, we moved DD out at 4 weeks because she was pretty much STTN and was noisy. Before that we had her in our room to make bf'ing easier, especially since I had a c/s. These babies will be in our room for the first several weeks too. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options
    We haven't decided.  Our set-up is similar to yours.  I do plan/hope to breastfeed successfully, so the convenience of having him in our room would be nice.  But the bassinet/rock-n-play would take up the remaining floor space we have in our room.  If we put him in his crib right away, his bedroom will be SO close...plus we're planning to have a twin bed in there.  And I don't plan on being an attachment parent, so I like the idea of putting him in his crib from day one.

Basically, we're undecided :(
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Options
    Our son was in a RnP for a month by our bed and then was moved to his crib in his room. I breast fed at first and even though he was right there, I would still go into his room to feed him. That way I could change his diaper (I changed it all the time with his circumcision healing-might not have been necessary) and turn on a small light so I could see what was going on. I have a bad back so it was more comfortable for me to sit in the rocking chair rather than lay to feed him. Also, that way we weren't disturbing DH either. I wanted him in his crib before I returned to work so that's why we decided on putting him in there at a month. He did pretty well with it and we all seemed to sleep more/longer. He was a noisy baby and I would wake up at every noise he made. Our monitor didn't pick up the little grunts he made all the time so it was nice! Good luck! My only real advice to you- from what I've read, you might have better luck with your baby sleeping in the crib right away if you swaddle him/her at first. Babies like to feel warm and tucked in like they're still in your belly! :)

• Options
    With our first we just sort of winged it. DD never particularly liked sleeping in bed with us but did fine in a bassinet in our room. We moved her to her crib at night when I went back to work at 12 weeks and she never had a problem. Of course she was still up several times a night, but I never liked nursing in bed, so it was just as easy to go to the nursery to feed her in the middle of the night then to have her in our room. This time around we'll likely do the same, but take cues from the baby.  Also with DD, we started putting her in her crib for naps during the day at about 8 weeks, so that might have helped with the night transition. 
  • Options
    thanks everyone, yes planning on bf'ing, I'll check out the other thread for more info too!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Your home sounds exactly like the home we lived in when my boys were brought into the world. We had no room for a PnP or anything of the sort because our rooms were so small. Because of that the boys slept in their own cribs from day one and I wouldn't have it any other way. This totally eliminated the whole transition process on all of us. We now live in a really large penthouse and will still plan on having #3 be in their crib starting on day one. I also was breastfeeding at this point, but with feeding/changing two I didn't have to worry about waking him up...his ass was getting up every time I was. ;)

From Nebraska to Germany, the adventures of the Zwillinge.

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options
    With DS we moved him from our room (bassinet) t his crib after around 2 weeks. We were keeping each other up and we all got better rest once he moved. I also breasted but I never did it in my room even when he slept in my room. I wasnt about to wake up DH for no reason while I sat up and fed, plus I wasn't Ble to feed on my side until DS was much older. I wouldn't even worry about it at this point because you will end up doing what works for you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"