Breastfeeding
Options

Vitamin D and poop

Hi ladies! Coming out of lurkerdom here. My apologies if this has already been discussed...I couldn't find a thread on it. Was wondering if all you EBF mamas gave your babes vitamin D drops/supplements? My ped recommended the Enfamil D-Vi-Sol ones and I've been giving them to my 5 month old DD for about 6 weeks or so. I've noticed that we've had some poop issues for about that long as well. My DD would poop everyday/every other day until about 6 weeks ago and then all of the sudden she went 7 days, 11 days, 8 days, etc between poops. I know it's totally normal for EBF babies to go less frequently, but this came on so fast and even my ped said he didn't want her to go longer than 5 days or so without a bowel movement. I should also mention that the consistency of her poop has been much, much thicker lately than what it used to be and this morning I noticed her straining when she pooped. I feel in my gut that the vitamin D drops have something to do with this and I want to stop giving them to her. I already have a call into my ped, but I was just wondering if any other mamas have any experience with anything like this? Thanks so much!

Re: Vitamin D and poop

• Options
    I take extra vitamin D (5,000 units + 400 in my PNV) so I don't have to give the drops and baby gets it through my BM.

Kellymom posted this article about it recently

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140606184845.htm

Off BC since 9/10;TTC since 7/11
    Me: 31 DH: 31
    DX: PCOS/anovulatory/Hypothyroid
    SA: normal
    HSG: all clear
    5 cycles of Clomid/Femara + TI
    IUI #1 (7/16/12) Femara 2.5,+ Trigger=BFN
    Treatment break Aug. 2012-June 2013
    IUI #2 (7/27/13)=BFP!!!
    Beta #1 @ 13dpiui --145!
    Beta #2 @ 19dpiui--2,550!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Another vote for Carlson drops here.  Why would I use something with added colors, taste and large volume, when I could just add on tiny drop to milk or food (or even on the nipple)?

I've been giving him Carlson drops from the very beginning and I have no complaints.  
    TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'll put in another vote for Carlson D drops.  Super easy.

That being said, I mostly just made a point to give LO some time outside in the sun.  I live in the south, and so even on an overcast day, 15 minutes of time outside is enough to get sufficient vitamin D.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • Options
    I also switched from Enfamil to Carlson. My LO seemed gassy and uncomfortable with the enfamil drops, but we didn't experience constipation.
  • Options
    a lot of people have issues with the d-vi-sol- see the amazon reviews: https://www.amazon.com/Enfamil-D-vi-sol-Vitamin-50-Pack/dp/B003YC3706

i didn't want to give them to DS because they have so much unnecessary crap in them. we used the carlson drops instead.

• Options
    Carlsons here too
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"