Secondary IF
Options

How do you answer this?!?

I'm starting to see more people who don't know about our most recent loss and don't know about our situation and I'm getting a lot of "so when are you having another?" Or "are y'all done with 3"? My heart breaks every time and I just want to spill every horrible detail of the last year. I want to share how there can never be more unless we adopt or do IVF - which both options seem impossible. I can't say the words "oh I don't know, we'll see" (like my husband can so easily say) because I know it's a lie and I physically cannot say those words. Plus I don't want to make them uncomfortable or over share with strangers.

So how do you answer this question? Do you just eventually 'toughen up' and just blankly answer? Do you reach a point where you can just say we don't know? I had not prepared myself for this question and every time someone asks me it's like a huge, hurtful reminder of everything.
DD 6/17/08, DD 6/9/10, DD 12/15/11
BFP 5/24/13 - Natural MC 6/7/13
BFP 8/13/13 - Natural MC 8/27/13
Ovarian Mass = removal of left ovary & tube 9/13
BFP 4/24/14 - Tubal Pregnancy 5/7/14
Removal of  ruptured right tube 5/8/14
IVF or adoption??

Re: How do you answer this?!?

• Options
    I struggle with this because I cant lie. I just CANT be like "Oh Im fine" if everything is falling apart. Im honest and say we hope to add to our family, but I have medical issues so we will see.

.Became a mama to my sweet little boy after 3 years of waiting and praying in October '12. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Miscarried twins from our first IUI cycle. D&C on August 14th, 2014
    Second IUI cycle: BFP
    Beta #1 (13dpiui): 74 Beta #2 (16dpiui): 505 Beta #3 (18dpiui): 1205
    First Ultrasound- 6w2d 110BPM! Our baby has a heartbeat!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    spfclrspfclr member

Of course it depends how they phrase the question, but I usually say something along the lines of, "We'd love to have another, we'll see what happens."  Since my DD is almost 4, there are extra bedrooms in our house, and no big financial issues they usually catch on that it's not our timing that we're waiting on. 

I guess I have hardened up to it a little after 2 years.  Despite how busy my life is I think about infertility and the spacing between my DD and any future baby many times a day so someone asking about it doesn't always solicit a sad response. 

I can see what to say being a little trickier for you since you already have 3 so I'm sure everyone assumes that there aren't any medical issues. 

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 since April 2012

Year 1 - nothing

Year 2 - two m/c

Year 3 - unexplained diagnosis & 4 failed IUIs with Clomid/Letrozole

Year 4 - still unexplained & 3 failed IUIs with Follistim & Ovidral

Year 5 - trying on our own

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    After almost 4 years, I pretty much tell people we're having trouble. "We should be on baby # 3 or 4 by now!" is a current favorite.
  • Options
    I actually don't have a lot of people ask this question of me.  If it comes up, I tell them we'd love to have more, but that's it's not always in out control.  That If I could choose when I get pregnant, I would already have three.  I don't say it to make someone feel bad, but I do try to enlighten them that it's not always easy and that their question isn't always appropriate.  
    Happily Mrs. C 
    image  image

image Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image
    start ttc #1 in Jan 2009
    dx PCOS in May 2010, begin metformin
    Two failed clomid cycles (made lining too thin)
    Started acupuncture while saving for IVF in Sept 2011
    Add herbal infusions to the mix in Dec 2011
    Hoping holistic approach works!!!

BFP on April 2012 at 11dpo
    Meepy Man born on Jan 2013 - Hip Hip Hurray!

Ready to start ttc #2 April 2013, but plan to be an extended BF'er
    Back on metformin Aug 2013
    Restart herbal infusions Sept 2013 - currently drinking nettle, oatstraw, and red raspberry leaf
    DS weaned in April 2014
    Taking a break from herbs and just riding the healthy train.  
    Planning medicated cycle end of summer.  FX I get KU before then!!!
  • Options
    ksvend said:

Of course it depends how they phrase the question, but I usually say something along the lines of, "We'd love to have another, we'll see what happens."  Since my DD is almost 4, there are extra bedrooms in our house, and no big financial issues they usually catch on that it's not our timing that we're waiting on.

Pretty much this and pretty much the same situation. Or I say something along the lines of "hopefully soon" which is not a lie. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

VOTE on my Name List

• Options
    EmAreEmAre member
    I just lie and say that we are done with just one. We likely will never have another after TTC #2 for three years now. I tell my daughter that our family is just meant to have 3 people. I'm not sure if the sting ever goes away, but the more people I tell that we are done, the less we get asked.
  • Options

I am seriously surprised people ask this question to a person who has 3 kids? Wtf do they want from you?! Do they think you are some kind of Duggar in training?

I either get "when are you having more?" or "you're done, right?!?" When I was pregnant with my third, people acted disgusted that we would have more, felt sorry for us bc it was a third girl, and repeatedly told me I needed a new hobby. People suck. :(

DD 6/17/08, DD 6/9/10, DD 12/15/11
    BFP 5/24/13 - Natural MC 6/7/13
    BFP 8/13/13 - Natural MC 8/27/13
    Ovarian Mass = removal of left ovary & tube 9/13
    BFP 4/24/14 - Tubal Pregnancy 5/7/14
    Removal of  ruptured right tube 5/8/14
    IVF or adoption??
  • Options
    I just say I struggle with infertility. Most people ask more questions which pisses me off more. Or I get the sad pity face which makes me want to punch them in the face.
    After two losses, a rainbow arrived! DD born 11.5.11
    Dx with severe Asherman's syndrome after a botched PP D&C (pursuing med mal)
    Hysteroscopy Oct '13, not enough progress 
    Hysteroscopy Jan '14, given an end-of-the-road diagnosis
    Joined International Asherman's Association April '14 
    Not ready to give up yet.
    Hysteroscopy with Dr. Isaacson (an expert in the USA) 6.2.14: Good prognosis, at least 50% of cavity open.
    Repeat hysteroscopy scheduled with Dr. I on 6.16.14. Great progress. Unbenched!!!!
    Discussing actively TTC with DH after the heartache of the last year. We're both reeling.

Please, please, please. 
  • Options
    I am seriously surprised people ask this question to a person who has 3 kids? Wtf do they want from you?! Do they think you are some kind of Duggar in training?
    LMFAO @ Duggar in training!

My History:
    Lots of BFN's & failed IUI's w/clomid and/or femara
    Finally BFP with femara & t.i.- son born 6/17/2010
    Started TTC again around when DS was 3ish
    Lots of BFN's with femara & t.i & ovidrel
    Tubes clear, S.A came back low motility but high count
    About to switch to injectables w/femara, did one last cycle with just femara & an IUI with ovidrel- stupid motility was fantastic in the sample, but count was 700,000 AFTER wash! Had to sign a paper to even still do IUI- BFFP (big fat freaking positive) Go figure!

1st Beta 13dpiui 54, 2nd beta 48 hours later 115, 3rd beta 48 hours later 310, 4th beta 72 hours later 1748.
  • Options
    I tell them "we'll have another when they stop dying in my uterus." I usually hear crickets after that as they realize it's none of their goddamn business. I don't leave any room for being polite. They lost that right by being nosy fucking assholes.
    Me: 36, DH: 36
    DH's SA = normal
    1 tube only wonder
    AFC 3-5, AMH 0.30

BFP #1 3/29/11.  EDD 12/4/11... Missed m/c 5/9/11. Cytotec fail. D&C 5/17/11.
    BFP #2   7/5/11.  EDD 3/14/12... Our rainbow Kellen born 3/14/12 via c/s.
    BFP #3 5/30/13.  EDD 2/8/14...  6wk u/s HB 126. 8wk u/s lost HB. D&C 7/12/13.
    BFP #4 2/18/14.  EDD 10/30/14... Ruptured ectopic with L tube removed & D&C 3/7/14.
    BFP #5 7/27/14.  EDD 4/9/15...  m/c @ 5w4d.

IVF #1    Oct 2014 - antagonist protocol: 9R, 7M, 5F. 3dt of 3 Grade 2 embies. BFN. 
    IVF #2    Jan 2015 cancelled due to dominant follicle.  Converted to IUI #1. BFFN
    IVF #2.1 March 2015 cancelled due to dominant follicle.

BFP #6  (SUPRISE!) 3/19/15.  EDD 11/30/15...  CP at 4w2d.
    IUI #2:    Clomid + Follistim = 3 follies. BFN.
    IVF #2.2 May 2015 - horrible response to micro lupron flare protocol: 3R, 3M, 3F. 3dt of 2 Grade 3 embies. BFFN. 

BFP #7 (beyond surprised again!) 4/26/16. EDD 1/5/17. beautiful betas!!!! and then near-fatal hemorrhagic corpus luteum. turns out baby was ectopic after all; another lap 5/6 (@24dpo).

the universe can fuck off.

"You are overly paranoid and delusional that every one is out to get you." -lastsliverofhope

all AL welcome. TTC #2 for 43 44 months.
    follow my infertility journey here at timestandsstillblog.com

• Options
    @Jodee37 I JUST saw your new quote in your siggy. I had to laugh out loud. Damn, you're so delusional. *snickers*
    After two losses, a rainbow arrived! DD born 11.5.11
    Dx with severe Asherman's syndrome after a botched PP D&C (pursuing med mal)
    Hysteroscopy Oct '13, not enough progress 
    Hysteroscopy Jan '14, given an end-of-the-road diagnosis
    Joined International Asherman's Association April '14 
    Not ready to give up yet.
    Hysteroscopy with Dr. Isaacson (an expert in the USA) 6.2.14: Good prognosis, at least 50% of cavity open.
    Repeat hysteroscopy scheduled with Dr. I on 6.16.14. Great progress. Unbenched!!!!
    Discussing actively TTC with DH after the heartache of the last year. We're both reeling.

Please, please, please. 
  • Options
    @MtsAtch dn't forget I am a bully too.
    :))
    Me: 36, DH: 36
    DH's SA = normal
    1 tube only wonder
    AFC 3-5, AMH 0.30

BFP #1 3/29/11.  EDD 12/4/11... Missed m/c 5/9/11. Cytotec fail. D&C 5/17/11.
    BFP #2   7/5/11.  EDD 3/14/12... Our rainbow Kellen born 3/14/12 via c/s.
    BFP #3 5/30/13.  EDD 2/8/14...  6wk u/s HB 126. 8wk u/s lost HB. D&C 7/12/13.
    BFP #4 2/18/14.  EDD 10/30/14... Ruptured ectopic with L tube removed & D&C 3/7/14.
    BFP #5 7/27/14.  EDD 4/9/15...  m/c @ 5w4d.

IVF #1    Oct 2014 - antagonist protocol: 9R, 7M, 5F. 3dt of 3 Grade 2 embies. BFN. 
    IVF #2    Jan 2015 cancelled due to dominant follicle.  Converted to IUI #1. BFFN
    IVF #2.1 March 2015 cancelled due to dominant follicle.

BFP #6  (SUPRISE!) 3/19/15.  EDD 11/30/15...  CP at 4w2d.
    IUI #2:    Clomid + Follistim = 3 follies. BFN.
    IVF #2.2 May 2015 - horrible response to micro lupron flare protocol: 3R, 3M, 3F. 3dt of 2 Grade 3 embies. BFFN. 

BFP #7 (beyond surprised again!) 4/26/16. EDD 1/5/17. beautiful betas!!!! and then near-fatal hemorrhagic corpus luteum. turns out baby was ectopic after all; another lap 5/6 (@24dpo).

the universe can fuck off.

"You are overly paranoid and delusional that every one is out to get you." -lastsliverofhope

all AL welcome. TTC #2 for 43 44 months.
    follow my infertility journey here at timestandsstillblog.com

• Options
    Since being here, I have toughened up a bit, and I frequently get this question, especially since 2 of my sister in laws are due any time now really. I am pretty bitchy about it lately and just tell people that when my babies stop dying in my uterus, I will have another. The only person I am not snarky to, even though she asks me every other week it seems, is DH's granny... She means well, she does, but it gets old from her too.

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options
    Jodee37 said:
    I tell them "we'll have another when they stop dying in my uterus." I usually hear crickets after that as they realize it's none of their goddamn business. I don't leave any room for being polite. They lost that right by being nosy fucking assholes.
    Thank you for existing. This made my day. I cannot stop laughing lol!

***Signature/Ticker Warning***

March 2008 - DD born - no issues conceiving (surprise). Limited issues during pregnancy/delivery.
    June 2011 - Married DH.
    June 2013 - Diagnosis of Endometriosis and PCOS (approximate).
    December 2013 - First cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    January 2014 - 2nd Cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    February 2014 - 3rd Cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    March 2014 - Took month off to prep for surgery
    April 2014 - Laporoscopy for endo. Unable to remove endo due to too close of proximity to ureter. HSG done as well. Fillopian tubes open.
    May 2014 - 1st round of Femara. Positive OPK. BFN.
    June 2014 - 2nd round of Femara. Moved to RE to have CD10 Follicular U/S. No Follies in left ovary. 5 follies in right. Largest follie 8mm, 1 7mm, 2 3mm, 1 2mm. Positive OPK on day of U/S. BFN. DH has SA done at this time - All results within normal limits.
    July 2014 - 3rd round of Femara. CD10 Follicular U/S. No follies in left ovary. 7 follies in right. 1 20mm, 1 12mm, 1 10mm, 4 <5mm. Scheduled for IUI. Canceled due to low estrogen level of 145. TI this month. Prepping for Injectables next month. BFN.
    August 2014 - CD3 BW Normal. Injectables not happening because of stupid miscommunication about "required injectables class." Taking class this month. No medication. TI for the month. SIS scheduled for 8/7/14. SIS results - "I have a beautiful uterus." Huzzah!
    September 2014 - Cycle cancelled due to stupid AF coming early and making my IUI run in to DH's business trip. Try again next month.
    October 2014 - Injects with IUI cycle. 75U 5 days. Estrogen at 36. Bumped up to 125 for 4 days. Estrogen 105. Bumped up to 225. Ganirelix for 2 days. 4 mature follies. Triggered 10/9. IUI 10/10.
    BFP 10/24/2014. Beta #1 - 178   Beta #2 - 398.   U/S 11/7/14- TWINS!!!!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @SassFrass‌, were you quoting @Jodee37‌ in your answer?
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Options
    Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.  
    Happily Mrs. C 
    image  image

image Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image
    start ttc #1 in Jan 2009
    dx PCOS in May 2010, begin metformin
    Two failed clomid cycles (made lining too thin)
    Started acupuncture while saving for IVF in Sept 2011
    Add herbal infusions to the mix in Dec 2011
    Hoping holistic approach works!!!

BFP on April 2012 at 11dpo
    Meepy Man born on Jan 2013 - Hip Hip Hurray!

Ready to start ttc #2 April 2013, but plan to be an extended BF'er
    Back on metformin Aug 2013
    Restart herbal infusions Sept 2013 - currently drinking nettle, oatstraw, and red raspberry leaf
    DS weaned in April 2014
    Taking a break from herbs and just riding the healthy train.  
    Planning medicated cycle end of summer.  FX I get KU before then!!!
  • Options
    Honestly, I didn't even read any of the other replies before I posted, which I should have :/

dammit.

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options
    now, I see where it was already said, but that is generally what I say when asked.

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options
    SassFrass said:

now, I see where it was already said, but that is generally what I say when asked.

Interesting coincidink......

Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Options
    I usually try to treat them like I would a 5 year old asking me.  They really usually just have no experience or concept of how emotionally hard it is.  This leaves me with a response of "for some people it's easy for others it's not" or "working on it" depending on if I like the person or not.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• Options
    Steph1673Steph1673 member
    edited July 2014
    I will say that I try to cut people some slack with their ignorance surrounding 2IF, because I was once in that camp that just assumed if you could do it once you could do it again. Sadly, I found out the hard way that was not so. 

You always hear the stories of so-and-so struggled with IF and then once they had one BAM! they had others naturally, no problem (three friends of mine, and one cousin). But you rarely hear (or should I say I don't know anyone IRL) of those who had the first one no problem and then struggle to have anymore. It seems no one is talking about that...

Also, IF in general is apparent (at least to those who know you want kids) because of the lack of children, but 2IF is not because you already have a child/children so assumptions are made that you can snap your fingers and do it again. 

All in a all I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, even though it may eat away at me on the inside. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

VOTE on my Name List

• Options
    My usual response is "When God decides to bless us again". Although I currently feel more like IF God decides to bless us again.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

DD conceived after 3 years of ttc.
    MFI - DH had varicocele repair and took Clomid to get DD b. 02/2010

TTC #2 since 6/2010
    10/2012 DH diagnosed with Epilepsy
    A few failed IUIs summer 2012 and 2013. 
    DH taking clomid and waiting to see if he needs another vericocele repair. 
    Hoping for a 2015 baby or babies. 
    Wishing, hoping, waiting.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"