October 2014 Moms
Options

Anatomy scan - 1 artery umbilical

I usually just lurk on this board, but I just got news that I would love some insite on - if anyone has any. Or just T&Ps would work as well! :-)
I just had my anatomy scan and I was told that I have a one artery/one vein umbilical cord (supposed to have 2 arteries 1 vein). I've never even heard of this before! The doc really didn't say too much except that they'll have to monitor me every week ( stress test and ultrasound) and that if the baby stops growing they'll have to induce me. Of course googling it just freaked me out more!

Has anyone experience or heard of this?

Re: Anatomy scan - 1 artery umbilical

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I am sorry you are going through this; it's a difficult thing to hear!

I have heard of this and know someone who experienced it.  You may want to post on high risk; there may be women there with the same fetal diagnosis.  Also, trust your doctor and stay off Google! 
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    Thinking of you! I would talk with your doctor and ask him for more information if you want, I agree with PP that you should stay away from google! Keep us updated, and don't stress too much, at least they are going to monitor you and baby weekly!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    I'm sorry you got scary news. I would definitely check out the high-risk board for support from those who have been there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I had a friend that had that and baby is fine. That's all that matters. Your dr will take good care of you.

BFP - 2/5/14
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    T&Ps for you! I don't know what it means but I really hope things continue to go well!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    No experience or advise to offer, but I will keep you & your LO in my T&P!
    Me: 37, DH: 42 Married March 22, 2003 TTC since early 2006, Fertility treatments since 02/2013 First Pregnancy with Twins EDD 10.24.2014
  • Options
    That has to be scary but it sounds like your doctor is being proactive with the weekly checks. I agree with posting to the high risk board.

But come here anytime you need some support!
  • Options
    No experience, but sending good thoughts your way....Sorry you're dealing wth this. I agree with other PP's ask your doctor for more info and stay away from google.

Lilypie - (urRB)

• Options
    OPs have given good advice about where to go for more insight so I won't repeat that. I don't have experience with this but I am definitely sending thoughts and prayers your way. IMO, modern medicine is a wonderful thing. Trust the doctors.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I have a healthy almost 4 year old that had a single umbilical artery.  I had to have a fetal echo cardiogram done as it can sometime affect the heart but I didn't have to have weekly checks.  I had a few growth ultrasounds and then NSTs close to my due date.  I ended up being induced because of my BP and then had an emergency C-section from fetal distress (there is no proof that the fetal distress had anything to do with the single umbilical artery).  
  • Options

I second posting this on high risk to see if anyone else has the same diagnosis.  The are 2 umbilical arteries so that more blood flow and nutrients can get to the baby, so it's good that your a/s caught it so that your docs can monitor it.  Your baby is ok, still safe, but they need to watch you closely as your doctor said to make sure there is no growth retardation.  Try not to panic, I am sure it is stressful to hear, and stress isn't good for any baby.  I know, easier said than done. 

Look on the bright side- you get to see LO on u/s every week :)

T&P for you!

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage

Winston is ready to have a little sister!

• Options
    No experience, but I just want to say that I'm sending good thoughts and prayers that everything is ok!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • Options
    PC0909PC0909 member
    A friend had this. Her son was born average sized with no health issues. FX everything goes smoothly for you!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I also have a friend who had this condition with her first baby. She had to go to the doctor more often for check-ups, but the baby was perfectly healthy. She is now a beautiful and perfectly healthy 5-year-old :)

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"